PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sumlin out at AM

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sumlin out at AM

Postby leopold » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:33 am

oilpony wrote:Tennessee and A&M have to have the two most delusional fan bases in college football.

I'm not going to speak to A&M, but there's absolutely no reason Tennessee should be winless in the SEC this season - that's 100% on Jones. And while I think they are as spoiled as any P5 team they have won a national championship in the modern era and were on the cusp of playing for a second one before being upset in the SEC championship game - they should be top 25 every year.

Bye bye Jones. Hope you had fun.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:48 am

maybe not but Tennessee doesn't really have the talent base that their competitors in Texas, Louisiana, Georgia and Florida have-that's one of their problems I think
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby leopold » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:15 am

Don't look at it from a state's geographical and political perspective. Draw a 500 mile circle around Knoxville (i.e. driving distance) just like you could with College Station or Austin. It covers all of Tennessee, NC, SC, and large parts of Georgia, Alabama, Kentucky,and Virginia, going into Florida, Mississippi, and Ohio.

Without getting into a spitting contest over who's number one there is more than enough talent to be top 10 every year - it's not delusional to expect better than what Jones has given them - it's not a Les Miles, Frank Solich, or even Jeff Bower type of firing.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:41 pm

Stallion wrote:maybe not but Tennessee doesn't really have the talent base that their competitors in Texas, Louisiana, Georgia and Florida have-that's one of their problems I think

but I thought Jones had one of the top 15 recruiting classes for 3 years running. With their facilities, support and tradition, not hard to recruit to Tennessee but somewhere along the line Jones just lost this year's team
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Football