PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sumlin out at AM

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sumlin out at AM

Postby geno » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:44 pm

The aggie boards are full of it. Decision made today. Announcement probably tomorrow. Their main topic: who's our next coach. Our main topic: who's our next coach?
geno
Junior Varsity

Re: Sumlin out at AM

Postby gostangs » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:46 pm

This might have happened a bit early for chad's hiring. They can get a more sure thing for 5 million.

We should be worried about tech and Arkansas.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:53 pm

I am going to have to admit my thoughts could be changing. I have said from the beginning that the Aggie Board would not accept hiring a 7-5/6-6 coach with limited experience from a G5. But I was listening to the “experts” on ESPN Radio on my drive home this morning and they were evaluating the different jobs coming available. Chad’s name was never mentioned, but when talking about A&M they first discussed all of the structure being in place. Their only concern was to get a coach that would “fit” the school. As an example the compared it to Dabo being hired at Clemson, and how he put his assistants together, got them higher pay and developed the culture that he did. It just seemed that without saying it outright that they were laying out a plan for them to hire Morris.

I still have my doubts that the Board will accept a relative newbie from “lowly” SMU, but I have now heard the analysis of why it could be an acceptable route.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby gostangs » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:05 pm

Oh I think he is their perfect hire, just not sure they will do it, cause....well cause Aggie.
gostangs

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:36 pm

It will be interesting to watch where some of these throw-backs end up-Sumlin, Coach Bro (Offensive production/QB development) and Kiffin I think some schools may need evaluate whether these guys are really damaged goods or actually solid coaching prospects at say the AAC level. I think I might take all 3 over Strong at USF and he's at least got them to 8-1. I think if SMU is looking for a Head Coach I would consider and analyze all 3 although I bet Kiffin ends up in SEC if Florida Atlantic keeps playing as well as they are. I mean one of these days Kingsbury has to find a Defensive Coordinator-he's probably has more total yards during his tenure at Tech and helped develop more top QBs during his coaching career than any Coach in America. He's 37-probably still learning how to Coach
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby CA Mustang » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:45 pm

If Sumlin is out, he leaps to the top of the list for Nebraska.

ADs may want to see another year from Kiffin before they get comfortable with him.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:48 pm

I had a cold shiver moment today as they were discussing Chip Kelly. One of the sportscasters mentioned how he does not want to recruit. It would be our luck to get him to SMU, have him be very successful with our current roster and then leave us bare as we have witnessed in the past.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:09 pm

mrydel wrote:I had a cold shiver moment today as they were discussing Chip Kelly. One of the sportscasters mentioned how he does not want to recruit. It would be our luck to get him to SMU, have him be very successful with our current roster and then leave us bare as we have witnessed in the past.

NO NO NO
Charleston Pony

Postby gostangs » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:28 pm

I've met sumlin and he seems like a great guy. I'd be fine with making the switch. He'd be great but in the AAC if he can get used to no dough again.

If a coach actually says he doesn't love to recruit we should automatically say no without even thinking about it. Getting 2.2 million a year means you better recruit like a bandit.
gostangs

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:32 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
mrydel wrote:I had a cold shiver moment today as they were discussing Chip Kelly. One of the sportscasters mentioned how he does not want to recruit. It would be our luck to get him to SMU, have him be very successful with our current roster and then leave us bare as we have witnessed in the past.

NO NO NO

I hope ya'll are kidding. I would run through a brick wall for Chip Kelly to be the SMU coach. It would never happen
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:45 pm

With the Aggies moving this early on Sumlin it means they will have his replacement early which means CM will know his ‘dream-job fate’ early.

This actually plays out quite well for CM. Regardless, can’t imagine him staying.

To me, he is much like LB. They didn’t save our FB / BB programs, they simply confirmed a blueprint for success.

And while we are on the subject, I really like the fact that Jank doesn’t need to wh*re himself out to lowlifes like Baylor.
SoCal_Pony

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:23 pm

I think we could hire back Couldn't Have A Defense after about 2 seasons of 7 - 5 records at
A$M :!:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:30 pm

I really think it’s up to our road games that will determine where CM ends up. If he loses these next two games, I just don’t see him getting the A&M job. If he wins one of them especially at Memphis then sure. Had he beat UCF, he would probably have the offer on his desk.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyFan32 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:57 pm

I think y'all dramatically overestimate the interest from A&M for Chad. No school trying to compete in the SEC West is going to look at a team that will be 7-5 at best with a mediocre schedule and think "yeah that's definitely our guy." They are not going to go into this blind. You think they don't know what a cluster we have in our back 7 on defense? Think they want to hire Sumlin part 2 right now? Chad would have to win 9-10 games for them to be interested and that ain't happening this year.

I think A&M boosters would revolt if they chose Chad now, school and recruiting ties be damned. They think Sumlin is the reason they can't compete with the Alabamas and auburns of the world and Chad isn't going to fix that.

I like Chad and hope he stays, I just don't think they offer him based on where he stands now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:48 pm

I would love Sumlin if he is out and Chad goes elsewhere.

While I don't think A&M will pull the trigger on Chad right now (we will most likely finish with a worse record than A&M), if that job gets taken out of the picture it increases the chance that Chad moves to another P5 job.
JasonB

Next

Return to Football