PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sumlin out at AM

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sumlin out at AM

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:15 pm

I thought of Fatterson because he now has a top 10/15 team without having top 10/15 recruiting. He has to rely on schemes on both offense and defense, as well as on transfers, to compete against the traditional big boys. He wouldn't have to do that at a school like A&M, with ability to recruit from day one on par with the best in the country. I still think he would leave the horny toads for a select group of schools, but perhaps A&M isn't on that list.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:19 pm

the often repeated quote about coaching in the SEC is instructive ie that every Coach in the SEC other than Saban has a 3 year contract
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:11 pm

Yep. When Saban dies or retires everything changes
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Pony81 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:41 pm

C’mon guys it’s real simple,
We doubled Chad’s salary and gave him a chance to prove he could be a D1 coach....
A P5 will double his salary and give him a chance he can coach in a P5 league
Frankly, why would anyone eave P5 job with good admin support and 4 mil salary for an extra 1-2 million at a “glamour job”. It’s just not worth the hassle. Patterson is very sensible in this regard.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby ponypatrick » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:20 pm

Stallion wrote:Why wouldn't a Coach who had a particular concern about an issue (such as sexual violence) want to take a job to fix the problem? Pretty much the job of most coaches. Unless you are saying Baptist and their institutions are intrinsically evil. Provocative I'll admit but probably unfair

Baptists and Baylor University are two different things. Baylor University has in the past been at a minimum
"intrinsically hypocritical" if not downright evil .
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:39 pm

This thread nominated for most BS, FAKE NEWS ever on PF :!: :!:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:45 pm

ponypatrick wrote:
Stallion wrote:Why wouldn't a Coach who had a particular concern about an issue (such as sexual violence) want to take a job to fix the problem? Pretty much the job of most coaches. Unless you are saying Baptist and their institutions are intrinsically evil. Provocative I'll admit but probably unfair

Baptists and Baylor University are two different things. Baylor University has in the past been at a minimum
"intrinsically hypocritical" if not downright evil .

I agree this is two separate things. I also think it’s two separate things between the school and the sports program. I think Art Briles justify this sickness by rationalizing it’s best for the team and his pocketbook. The school I believe clean house and hopefully will get a grip of its athletics program. They should get training from our compliance program that would fix their issues.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Black Horseshoe » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:59 am

CargoGunki wrote:Morris gone after this year. Even if it's not a&m it will be somewhere

Our new coach will still be better than AppleBowden
Black Horseshoe
Varsity

Postby redpony » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:58 am

CargoGunki wrote:Morris gone after this year. Even if it's not a&m it will be somewhere

At least he stayed a year longer than herman. Plus our next coach will be better than apple-fritz.
redpony

Postby deucetz » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:10 am

redpony wrote:

At least he stayed a year longer than herman. Plus our next coach will be better than apple-fritz.

Tom Herman took his team to the Peach Bowl and Houston has an IPF. I know its apples to oranges, but if Morris is able to accomplish that he can go anywhere he wants with my blessing.
deucetz
All-American

Postby mtrout » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:04 am

How about the Frisco bowl and a meeting about an IPF? Does that work for you?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:15 am

Everyone keeps saying Morris is out. What happens if Navy and Memphis curbstomb us? Unless it's to like Kansas or a low P5 school, there's no way he gets an offer if that happens. If he beat 1 probably both, then yes I totally agree seeing Morris out the door with a great offer. He needs to get a good win and not competitive losses.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby peruna81 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:51 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Everyone keeps saying Morris is out. What happens if Navy and Memphis curbstomb us? Unless it's to like Kansas or a low P5 school, there's no way he gets an offer if that happens. If he beat 1 probably both, then yes I totally agree seeing Morris out the door with a great offer. He needs to get a good win and not competitive losses.

I think Morris is going to be on a lot of lists, but secondary selections on all of them...think:

Tech, after they do some checking and find no one really is really enthused about dust storms...

Aggie, arter they find that Franklin loses to the Big Whatever powerhouses, too...and doesn't want to come to Texas...

Tennessee, which is a mess, but has an easier road to the SEC championship than just about anyone else...they may holler at a couple of retreads first before Morris...

Ole Miss, see above, with an even more difficult road to the SEC championship game...I kind of think they come calling early and often to Morris after they find that Frost is not interested.

Regardless, good for Chad Morris. Interest by several suitors is never a bad thing unless you are Zsa Zsa Gabor. We need to have a short list of prospects on hand at all times for our next coach.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby leopold » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:57 am

I’m sorry but I’m not seeing anything that says Sumlin is out. Are we being premature?
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:30 pm

Yes
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Football