PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UNOFFICIAL SMU-NAVY GAME THREAD

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UNOFFICIAL SMU-NAVY GAME THREAD

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:22 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:

But a nice reward for the players who earned the trip...and the seniors who have enjoyed so little during their time here

Yeah they deserve a mediocre bowl. Choked away 2 games... Classic SMU...

Put in the work they do before you judge

I judge based on-field performance. It looks like they only play the 2nd half. They’re not our basketball team that can get away with that...
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:24 pm

and as usual you "judged" poorly
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby peruna81 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Maybe today's game is a good thing for SMU fans...we have now happily reached the point where we fuss about close losses against teams that are the top of our conference.

We haven't been within the same zip code of Navy the last few years. our defense has been torched against the option, much worse than they were today. One could argue that playing poorly for a half in each of our losses has still not kept us from being in shouting distance of them at the end...not looking for a puppy in this mess, but it is long-term progress.

At least it beats the uniform threads...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:37 pm

sbsmith wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:
Our goal was the Hawaii Bowl. And looks like that was achieved.

Just like old times

Just joking of course about the Hawaii Bowl. One thing HCCM did do was aim high this year. So unlike someone else a 6 or 7 win season would not be a high achieving season for HCCM.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:44 pm

Chad Morris is the Head Coach-of course he's going to say that. The vast majority of "experts" picked us at 5th in our Division with 6 maybe 7 wins. We are exactly on course with where we should be with an outstanding coach raising the program from the Dead in 3 years
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:57 pm

But we really do need this incoming recruiting class to stay in tact to keep positive momentum. Coaching change years are tough...just ask Baylor
Charleston Pony

Postby Black Horseshoe » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:25 pm

Guess some players already know coach is gone

https://twitter.com/adamgrosbard/status ... 1076608001
Black Horseshoe
Varsity

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:48 pm

The quote from Justin Lawler looks ominous.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby gostangs » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:02 pm

Stallion wrote:Chad Morris is the Head Coach-of course he's going to say that. The vast majority of "experts" picked us at 5th in our Division with 6 maybe 7 wins. We are exactly on course with where we should be with an outstanding coach raising the program from the Dead in 3 years

Two different ideas can both be true. Chad has been great for us on whole, but he has also not beaten anyone good except Houston last year.

this game was particularly bad - and this navy team had no business beating us. Coaching low point in my view. If I was shopping for chad as a P5 I'd pause for sure.
gostangs

Postby JasonB » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:20 pm

I don't think it is fair to say "Navy had no business beating us". Navy is a solid team, no cakewalk and they are tough at home.

I think it is the manner in which we lost, not the loss itself
JasonB

Postby angryfan04 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:49 pm

Right Navy is tough, so CM gets another pass. We'll do better next time.
angryfan04
Varsity

Postby sbsmith » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:54 pm

Black Horseshoe wrote:Guess some players already know coach is gone

https://twitter.com/adamgrosbard/status ... 1076608001

But but Coach Morris hasn't done enough to get a better job. He has to win 10 games and a have good defense and win a conference championship blah blah blah :lol:
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:08 am

gostangs wrote:
Stallion wrote:Chad Morris is the Head Coach-of course he's going to say that. The vast majority of "experts" picked us at 5th in our Division with 6 maybe 7 wins. We are exactly on course with where we should be with an outstanding coach raising the program from the Dead in 3 years

Two different ideas can both be true. Chad has been great for us on whole, but he has also not beaten anyone good except Houston last year.

this game was particularly bad - and this navy team had no business beating us. Coaching low point in my view. If I was shopping for chad as a P5 I'd pause for sure.

dunno gostangs, that 63-0 drubbing from a couple of years ago, nobody (coaches or players) seemed interested.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:39 am

I don’t know how’s i judged poorly:

1) we suck the first half in all phases putting us in a large deficit
2) offense didn’t capitalize on the 2nd to last drive where the defense held them and offense went three and out.
3) we tied it late and the defense blew a 2nd and 15 to a 3rd and 1 and I believe they had already lost their backup backup QB. They never pass the ball so assume run duh.
4) our quick flat out sucks and we need to start assuming anything more than 35 yards is a large gamble (hell even an extra point).

I get that on paper coming in we shouldn’t really win (Navy losing to Temple should say otherwise). Once the game is in play and you measure up. We were the better team evident by the continuous 2nd half adjustments. We need to figure how to play 4 quarters or at least 3. With this loss, don’t worry no way in hell im predicting us to win in memphis. I’ve written that game off since we choked at home against UCF.

Hopefully we can beat Tulane and get a better than .500 record to finish out and keep Morris which I don’t see him getting picked up by big program. If he does, I imagine their alums will be upset.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUer » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:42 am

That is a great team motto: “Play to the expectations of those who only know you by last year’s stats.” Pretty sure Gary [deleted] tells his teams the very same thing.
SMUer

Previous

Return to Football