PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

HCCM "they just wanted it more"

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

HCCM "they just wanted it more"

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:24 pm

HCCM said Navy just wanted it more. How many times in three years, has he said that and "we were just flat", "we weren't ready to play", "we haven't played a complete game yet". It has to be as perplexing to Chad, as it is to the fans. SMU has spent an enormous amount of thought, effort, time and money, bringing in motivational speakers and former players, trying to get these guys to play consistently hard. It's stunning, that according to our coaches and players, that we couldn't come out motivated to play yesterday. Chad, Justin Lawler and Jordan Wyatt, had to have emotional halftime speeches, to beg the team to put out the effort in the 2nd half. I guess playing for a Divisional Championship and revenge for getting humiliated on a yearly basis...was not enough. Having the 75 point shellacking from last year, on a constant loop last week, didn't move the needle either. SMU has been preparing for the Navy option since last spring, meeting with option consultants over the summer and spending practice time on it, during the course of this season. Navy puts a wingback at QB, starting his first game. No problem, 281 yards rushing, 4 td's (more Navy records) all without completing a single pass. The 5'9 180 qb goes down with an injury....no problem. The back up qb to the backup qb comes in, and drives the length of the field, with no timeouts, for the winning score...without attempting a pass. The winning field goal was by a kid, kicking his first one. SOS by this defense, missed tackles, not getting off blocks and poor angles. Even the normally dependable Ono, missed tackles left and right...Rodney Clemons had to be in double digits, in missed tackles. Josh Williams, has been robbing SMU of 60 grand for three years. Multiple deja vu; I watched Baylor beat us without a single pass in the 90's, also, I was in Navy Stadium in 1996, when a Navy kicker made a career long kick, to beat SMU on the final play of the game. ''Plus ca change...plus c'est la meme chose''
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: HCCM "they just wanted it more"

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:36 pm

It’s extremely sickening. I’m glad some see it. Look beyond the stats that’s available pre-game. Our execution has been awful. We only play 2 quarters and when the big moments come we choke. It’s baffling. You think once we hit 6 wins, all of our anxiety would have been wiped away and we could come out lose each game. I just don’t get how we haven’t figured out 4 quarters yet. We always have to make 2nd half adjustments every time.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:49 pm

technical correction-he wasn't starting his first game-just his first game at QB. He was easily Navy's best and primary RB coming into the game averaging over 10 yards per carry. We held him to 8.5 yards per carry-WINNING
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:08 pm

One of the first observations I made to those fans sitting around me at the very start was that the team did not look focused and ready to play. Team appeared to have little emotion and was totally flat after Navy mauled them on the first TD drive. Outside rushers on the extra point just pealed off and did not even pressure the kick. Alarming was on the second Navy TD with the ball on roughly the 4 yard line. Lawler enters the game at right end just before the snap. Team was in total disarray with the left side of the D standing, looking to the side line and totally confused as to what to do. Lawler stands up and starts yelling at the left side with the play and to pay attention and get ready. Navy snaps the ball and scores almost untouched as half of the left side D were still standing, in total disarray and did not even see the snap let alone the TD run.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:10 pm

I would have thought having last year's game on a continuous loop on the jumbotron at Ford would have had this team ready to go from the opening snap.

Still amazed we weren't totally focused on going 1-0 this week at the start.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby footballdad » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:52 pm

""HCCM said Navy just wanted it more. How many times in three years, has he said that and "we were just flat", "we weren't ready to play", "we haven't played a complete game yet". It has to be as perplexing to Chad, as it is to the fans. SMU has spent an enormous amount of thought, effort, time and money, bringing in motivational speakers and former players, trying to get these guys to play consistently hard.""

Morris may want to stop reminding everyone, since it's a screaming indictment of his own leadership.

If it's "perplexing to Chad", that's an even bigger indictment.

If a head coach and DC can't motivate their players, that's on them, not the players.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:52 pm

Chad says it shocked him.

https://youtu.be/wxcTUFEYmso
ALEX LIFESON

Postby JoeKidd » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:09 pm

I am a big HCCM fan....not 100% sold on either coordinator in year 3. I hear what HCCM is saying, but the first half only got out of hand after we gave the ball back to Navy on 2 dumb play calls and a poor overall offensive plan. We could have done with them in the first half, what we did in the second, which is attack them with the our 3 WR's who are the best athletes on the field.

Considering the defense already went into the game down 2 D-Ends and a Linebacker and then lost our best defensive player later in the game I don't think they should be blamed entirely with the tag as coming out flat. If you had told me we got 2 turnovers against Navy in the first half and only had 11 points at half time, I wouldn't have believed it. I think HCCM and staff should have taken a large part of the blame for this loss. HCCM is a great offensive coordinator, at some point he should have nixed Craddock's plan and got us some d*mn points, oh and I hope that kicker never sees the field again.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby Junior » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:18 pm

Van Malone has to have had explosive diarrhea and was stuck in the can 1st half. Otherwise, no reason to not be able to change it up on D after 20 runs up the middle. There was no edge to contain, they simply took the first option and went straight up the gut with impunity. Having to pump up a 6-3 team at halftime is beyond ridiculous. Do these guys really need this at this point?
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Re: HCCM

Postby JoeKidd » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:26 pm

Junior wrote:Van Malone has to have had explosive diarrhea and was stuck in the can 1st half. Otherwise, no reason to not be able to change it up on D after 20 runs up the middle. There was no edge to contain, they simply took the first option and went straight up the gut with impunity. Having to pump up a 6-3 team at halftime is beyond ridiculous. Do these guys really need this at this point?

20-11 with 5:30 to go in the second quarter and the defense just gets the ball back for the offense for the second time of the half on Navy's 30.....turnover on a stupid e f f ing play call....go to Sutton, Quinn, Proche....not your tight ends who have 2 catches on the year. I am not laying this on VM or the Defense. Craddock didn't have the right game plan for Navy and HCCM didn't keep a tight enough leash on it and let an already thin defense get worn down late in the second quarter. Those are the facts....HCCM and Craddock should swallow the blame for this Loss.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby Junior » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:31 pm

JoeKidd wrote:
Junior wrote:Van Malone has to have had explosive diarrhea and was stuck in the can 1st half. Otherwise, no reason to not be able to change it up on D after 20 runs up the middle. There was no edge to contain, they simply took the first option and went straight up the gut with impunity. Having to pump up a 6-3 team at halftime is beyond ridiculous. Do these guys really need this at this point?

20-11 with 5:30 to go in the second quarter and the defense just gets the ball back for the offense for the second time of the half on Navy's 30.....turnover on a stupid e f f ing play call....go to Sutton, Quinn, Proche....not your tight ends who have 2 catches on the year. I am not laying this on VM or the Defense. Craddock didn't have the right game plan for Navy and HCCM didn't keep a tight enough leash on it and let an already thin defense get worn down late in the second quarter. Those are the facts....HCCM and Craddock should swallow the blame for this Loss.

5:30 later it was 34-11. On runs up the middle. Overall, yes, our offense did not do their job first half. Neither did the D. They both played respectably in the second. Actually played well. But the continual 3rd and long and 4th down conversions were ridiculous.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby JoeKidd » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:33 pm

We went into the game thin at D-End and LB and the Defense gives you the ball twice deep in Navy territory and you not only don't score....you immediately put them on the field. Defense was worn down late in the 2nd quarter because they were on the field too much.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Re: HCCM

Postby footballdad » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:34 pm

JoeKidd wrote:

Nah, it's easier to just project the blame on the players with some contrived dismay, and vague excuse about Navy just wanting it more. Pretty smooth.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:36 pm

That's what I'm saying. We only play 2 quarters of football every game it feels like. We didn't notice it expect when we play the cupcakes (SFA, NTCC, etc.). It's just frustrating because it feels the team is not well prepared before each game because in the 2nd half they get their [deleted] in gear. I agree with other people views. We are sold on HCCM maybe not on his coordinators.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:36 pm

Trick plays work when you fool someone, our trick plays are not fooling anyone anymore, they are all on film.
ALEX LIFESON

Next

Return to Football