PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is Lawler referencing a coaching search?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Is Lawler referencing a coaching search?

Postby sbsmith » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:21 pm

OLEJACKETFAN wrote:I guess somewhat new. Watched the Pony Express back in the day. Was a huge SMU fan back then. Lost interest after DP. When CM got this job I have kept up with them ever since. Older, so don't post much.

Are you going to stick around after CM leaves?
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OLEJACKETFAN » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:20 pm

Yes, I will continue to follow SMU. im not a Longhorn, Bear or Red Raider Fan. But I do like the Aggies. I would love for CM to end up there later on. I do agree with folks on here that I don't believe he will be considered for that job. Just not enough wins at SMU yet. I do know a couple things for sure. CM will not go to Baylor or Texas Tech. I also know he doesn't want to leave Texas. I believe he stays at SMU. I followed SMU back in the day and SMU Football was as good as Texas. Better than the Aggies. Baylor, TCU and Tech were nowhere as good as SMU. I was really shocked to see how it had diminished. The DP destroyed it! After Chad got the job I was SHOCKED at the lack of Fans at the games. Really sad.
OLEJACKETFAN
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:36 am

OLEJACKETFAN wrote:Yes, I will continue to follow SMU. im not a Longhorn, Bear or Red Raider Fan. But I do like the Aggies. I would love for CM to end up there later on. I do agree with folks on here that I don't believe he will be considered for that job. Just not enough wins at SMU yet. I do know a couple things for sure. CM will not go to Baylor or Texas Tech. I also know he doesn't want to leave Texas. I believe he stays at SMU. I followed SMU back in the day and SMU Football was as good as Texas. Better than the Aggies. Baylor, TCU and Tech were nowhere as good as SMU. I was really shocked to see how it had diminished. The DP destroyed it! After Chad got the job I was SHOCKED at the lack of Fans at the games. Really sad.

I hope you are right and that he will stay at SMU until he can build a resume strong enough for his alma mater to come after him and just hope that isn't this year. Would love to see Chad build SMU into an AAC Champion caliber team and then if he leaves, I hope we have our Gary Patterson on staff to take over. If Morris can get this program to that level and we still can't fill Ford Stadium, then SMU gets what it deserves.
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyte » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:08 am

OLEJACKETFAN wrote:I don't understand how so many people are so quick to turn on CM. He has put a lot of energy & time into changing SMU for the better. Im like everyone else and get frustrated after a loss, but look at the progress over the last 3 years. The Team is solid and competitive in every game. Foundation is solid going forward. Need more athletes and speed on D. Also lots of youth playing on D. He may look at the DC position after this year, but cant fix that right now. No arrests or character issues. I believe SMU is very lucky to have him!! I also think it would be best for CM to stay at SMU another year. He needs to see SMU thru this rebuild another year. Just my opinion, but I am 100% behind CM!

It is rare, oh so rare, to have a fan on this board that doens't panic over SMU football.
ponyte

Postby friarwolf » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:19 am

The reality is we are a stepping stone school - and would remain so even if we got the break of the century and became a power 5 school. Morris will be considered for probably 5 power schools this year and the top 3 of those schools will pass on him once they put his performance under the microscope. So, if he wants to go to Tech or Ole Miss, good for him. If not, good for him. We have to trust that Hart consistently has 3- 5 candidates vetted and is ready to move whenever Chad or whomever our coach is leaves.
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby smitty329 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:31 pm

ponyte wrote:
OLEJACKETFAN wrote:I don't understand how so many people are so quick to turn on CM. He has put a lot of energy & time into changing SMU for the better. Im like everyone else and get frustrated after a loss, but look at the progress over the last 3 years. The Team is solid and competitive in every game. Foundation is solid going forward. Need more athletes and speed on D. Also lots of youth playing on D. He may look at the DC position after this year, but cant fix that right now. No arrests or character issues. I believe SMU is very lucky to have him!! I also think it would be best for CM to stay at SMU another year. He needs to see SMU thru this rebuild another year. Just my opinion, but I am 100% behind CM!

It is rare, oh so rare, to have a fan on this board that doens't panic over SMU football.

I don't think we have a rare occurrence, because he is not a fan of SMU football directly, he is a fan of HCCM.
smitty329
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:13 pm

It's like Juice Newton sang "I've got nothing to be ashamed of if I shy away it's only because love's been a little bit [deleted] me"
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Pony Boss » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:15 pm

friarwolf wrote:The reality is we are a stepping stone school - and would remain so even if we got the break of the century and became a power 5 school. Morris will be considered for probably 5 power schools this year and the top 3 of those schools will pass on him once they put his performance under the microscope. So, if he wants to go to Tech or Ole Miss, good for him. If not, good for him. We have to trust that Hart consistently has 3- 5 candidates vetted and is ready to move whenever Chad or whomever our coach is leaves.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby OLEJACKETFAN » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:45 pm

Unfortunately I cant say I am an SMU grad. Don't laugh but I graduated from ETSU. LOL. But in the early 80s, SMU was the Team! And I was a huge Fan of SMU at that time. Like I posted earlier, when the DP happened I lost interest as so many others did. When CM got this job 3 yrs ago it renewed my interest. I didn't realize how far it had diminished. But I knew if SMU could be fixed, CM was the one for the job. What I have realized now is SMU lost 25/30 years of real student interest in Football. It will take lots of winning to return the casual student/fan. All at the same time CM trys to talk Recruits to come play here in front of small crowds. Not to mention Sports Facilities that are below par compared to some Texas High Schools. Not against any Posters on here because anyone on here must care about SMU Football. I believe he will get it done. Unfortunately it may take one more year. I just wished so many weren't critical when a game is lost. True Fans would stand behind their Coach. But with that, I do wonder what Coach you would rather have?
OLEJACKETFAN
Scout Team

Postby PonyTime » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:12 pm

OLEJACKETFAN wrote:Unfortunately I cant say I am an SMU grad. Don't laugh but I graduated from ETSU. LOL. But in the early 80s, SMU was the Team! And I was a huge Fan of SMU at that time. Like I posted earlier, when the DP happened I lost interest as so many others did. When CM got this job 3 yrs ago it renewed my interest. I didn't realize how far it had diminished. But I knew if SMU could be fixed, CM was the one for the job. What I have realized now is SMU lost 25/30 years of real student interest in Football. It will take lots of winning to return the casual student/fan. All at the same time CM trys to talk Recruits to come play here in front of small crowds. Not to mention Sports Facilities that are below par compared to some Texas High Schools. Not against any Posters on here because anyone on here must care about SMU Football. I believe he will get it done. Unfortunately it may take one more year. I just wished so many weren't critical when a game is lost. True Fans would stand behind their Coach. But with that, I do wonder what Coach you would rather have?

I think most all would agree that he is the right guy for the job and that we are perhaps a year away (Many are calling for the D-Coordinator to go though). You have to understand that just about everything that happens around here gets compared to the purple toads. Even after the Death Penalty, that was one team that we could count on competing with year in and year out over that first decade post DP. Some on this board think that our Gary Patterson is out there - but I just don't think that is realistic at all - and you cannot compare Chad Morris to Patterson.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:17 pm

Unleash the Purple Hippo!
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby 82Pony » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:26 pm

ojaipony wrote:Now, do I think Morris will be here next year? Hell no. And it hurts way more in recruiting than game day Xs and Os. I give him an A+ on recruiting. .

Here are the 247 website's rankings for SMU football recruiting since Chad's been here. 2015, 6th, Chad's first year and late start to recruiting so, not bad. 2016, 7th, his first full recruiting period. 2017, 7th, third recruiting class. Nationally these ranked 81st, 75th, and 80th. Now, I know these are subjective rankings and, recruiting for SMU football is really hard and, only on field results really matter but, I've been a little disappointed. My expectations were for maybe a 50th to 60th national recruiting class. Maybe a top 3 AAC class. I'm not saying Chad's not working his butt off trying to get the best recruits he can but, I just don't see the incredible results so many reference on this board. Now tell me what I'm missing.
82Pony
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:00 pm

The fact is that recruiting starts so early that the class is just about full before the next season ends-so he's been recruiting off 1 win, 2 wins and 5 wins. Last year was disappointing because of the late breaking UT and Baylor situation. You can see our decommits already starting/playing at UT, multiple at Baylor and I believe at Utah. This year we are 5th. You want magic off crowds of 3,000 to celebrate our victory over UH last year and gaining bowl eligibility this year. Whose the problem
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby 82Pony » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:15 pm

So, it seems it's a lost cause, a catch 22. We can't recruit without a bigger fan base and we can't get a bigger fan base until we get to multiple 8-10 win seasons. Also, if Texas P5 schools have coaching changes they will steal our recruits to fill their voids. Recruiting is tough. How are the other AAC schools like Memphis so much better at it than us?
82Pony
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:39 pm

No Chad Morris will get us to 7 wins-leave-and say good luck with YOUR problem. Because that's what it is-an SMU problem of over a half a Century. No raise in 2016 for him and his staff last year-and some saying not until he wins big games. No raise in 2017? No IPF? Screw that SMU money-boys who don't have the financial appetite for big-time College football -you have a hot property on your hands and we are driving him off with no visible signs of increased financial or fan support. Plenty of talk about replacing him by hiring a former high school coach with no Coordinator experience. Morris and his entire staff should have been given a substantial raise last year because he is the hardest working Coach and staff this school has ever had-that's how you make a hot-shot coaching prospect happy. Later
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Football