PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is Lawler referencing a coaching search?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Is Lawler referencing a coaching search?

Postby PonyTime » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:53 am

Really interesting comment by Justin Lawler at the 2:45 mark. Makes it sound as if the players think HCCM is gone. References Rick Hart will do a great job with a search... huh?

"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Is Lawler referencing a coaching search?

Postby ponyte » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:19 am

It would be very unusual for young players to know their coach is leaving at the end of a season and keep it secret. Some would be looking to transfer. Most would tell their parents who couldn't wait to tell the 'inside scoop' on the SMU coach at the water cooler.

And most teams would give up. This team hasn't shown the 'give up' part so far.

After last years's Charlie Foxtrot with the Baylor speculation, its easy to see where players may assume HCCM is heading to greener pastures. But that is speculation on the players' parts Having a tad of experience with players' paranoia, I can see where speculation turns to reality without any facts to back things up.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ojaipony » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:53 am

I don't think it's to anything specific he knows. I think he's just talking about the PROGRAM's culture - not about any specific head coach, but the institution will support that kind of a program regardless of head coach. The standard is high and here to stay regardless.

Now, do I think Morris will be here next year? Hell no. And it hurts way more in recruiting than game day Xs and Os. I give him an A+ on recruiting. Game day/player preparedness I give him a C- overall. The biggest challenge we will have is the recruiting momentum transition to a new head coach and assistants. Would be good to keep someone like Traylor and Wyatt on the staff to keep that going (Traylor because of all his connections and Wyatt because we need defensive recruiting more than anything to take this program to the next level).
ojaipony

Postby PoconoPony » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:25 pm

HCCM, in my opinion, has not demonstrated enough over all accomplishment for larger programs to be fully interested at this time. Too many overall poor coaching decisions, team preparation for games questionable, in sufficient game time adjustments on the fly and failure to straighten out issues of timely defensive calls constantly leaving the D team bouncing around, out of position and not ready for the snap. He simply needs more coaching experience to satisfy a bigger time program. If not, the fans will be on him very early.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hoss » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:35 pm

I agree. There are other non-P5 coaches won will be in higher demand, as well as P5 assistants.

I wonder if Morris's ego will be bruised if someone like Brent Venebles gets a big job before he does.
Hoss
All-American

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:55 pm

He gone
One Trick Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:20 pm

I think he’s most likely gone as well, but Saturday’s performance didn’t do him any favors. Curb stomping by Memphis won’t help either. Listen to Lawler’s post-game. ‘You just gotta find something to motivate you’....really????, 3 games for a Championship isn’t enough?

If CM wants to leave for the sake of leaving, he’s gone. If he winds up at a lower-tier P5 program and doesn’t succeed, it could be a career killer. Decisions, Decisions.

Gene Stallings once told me a very very funny story that is fitting to all this.
SoCal_Pony

Postby ponypatrick » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:39 pm

ojaipony wrote:I don't think it's to anything specific he knows. I think he's just talking about the PROGRAM's culture - not about any specific head coach, but the institution will support that kind of a program regardless of head coach. The standard is high and here to stay regardless.

Now, do I think Morris will be here next year? Hell no. And it hurts way more in recruiting than game day Xs and Os. I give him an A+ on recruiting. Game day/player preparedness I give him a C- overall. The biggest challenge we will have is the recruiting momentum transition to a new head coach and assistants. Would be good to keep someone like Traylor and Wyatt on the staff to keep that going (Traylor because of all his connections and Wyatt because we need defensive recruiting more than anything to take this program to the next level).

Watching Morris' face on the sidelines during the games reminds me of the facial expression of the first deer I
hit with my truck 2 seconds before impact. Game management is a skill that he has yet to acquire.
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby skyscraper » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:17 pm

With the Tuohy connection, I'm assuming he's landing at Ole Miss.
skyscraper

Postby smusic 00 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Schools facing major sanctions seem to attract him.
smusic 00

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Arkansas is high on Norvell although Morris was mentioned.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:06 pm

Hmmmm.......

SMU Athletics‏ @SMUMustangs
10s10 seconds ago

Don't forget you can "Ask The Coach" tonight by submitting your questions for @coachchadmorris using the hashtag #TempoTalk NOW!!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby OLEJACKETFAN » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:25 pm

I don't understand how so many people are so quick to turn on CM. He has put a lot of energy & time into changing SMU for the better. Im like everyone else and get frustrated after a loss, but look at the progress over the last 3 years. The Team is solid and competitive in every game. Foundation is solid going forward. Need more athletes and speed on D. Also lots of youth playing on D. He may look at the DC position after this year, but cant fix that right now. No arrests or character issues. I believe SMU is very lucky to have him!! I also think it would be best for CM to stay at SMU another year. He needs to see SMU thru this rebuild another year. Just my opinion, but I am 100% behind CM!
OLEJACKETFAN
Scout Team

Postby sbsmith » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:28 pm

OLEJACKETFAN wrote:I don't understand how so many people are so quick to turn on CM.

You must be new here :lol:
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby OLEJACKETFAN » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:15 pm

I guess somewhat new. Watched the Pony Express back in the day. Was a huge SMU fan back then. Lost interest after DP. When CM got this job I have kept up with them ever since. Older, so don't post much.
OLEJACKETFAN
Scout Team

Next

Return to Football