PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is Lawler referencing a coaching search?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Is Lawler referencing a coaching search?

Postby 82Pony » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:52 pm

Sounds just like JJ, except there turned out to be no job for him. And, he left us with just few really good players. Hopefully our next coach will stick around long enough to get to 8 wins. SMU problems. :cry:
82Pony
Varsity

Postby peruna81 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:53 pm

Stallion wrote:No Chad Morris will get us to 7 wins-leave-and say good luck with YOUR problem. Because that's what it is-an SMU problem of over a half a Century. No raise in 2016 for him and his staff last year-and some saying not until he wins big games. No raise in 2017? No IPF? Screw that SMU money-boys who don't have the financial appetite for big-time College football -you have a hot property on your hands and we are driving him off with no visible signs of increased financial or fan support. Plenty of talk about replacing him by hiring a former high school coach with no Coordinator experience. Morris and his entire staff should have been given a substantial raise last year because he is the hardest working Coach and staff this school has ever had-that's how you make a hot-shot coaching prospect happy. Later

I concur.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 82Pony » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:55 pm

I was under the impression Chad got a raise last year after flirting with Baylor. That was incorrect? If so, how much do we have to "Pony Up" to keep him and staff?
82Pony
Varsity

Postby OLEJACKETFAN » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:04 pm

The first year CM got here I thought he did really well considering his start date was Dec 1. Last year I believe his Class would have been much better with the Brewers. Those 2 really hurt. I believe he will continue to get offensive players. Where I have been really disappointed is the defensive recruits. Malone is not getting guys that can really help. I do totally agree with Stallion on the other SMU problems. But I don't believe CM is going to be real quick to leave though!
OLEJACKETFAN
Scout Team

Postby SMUer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:14 pm

I wish a SMU would hit me up for $100 towards the IPF just so that I can stop feeling guilty about something I have no power over :(
SMUer
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:22 pm

82Pony wrote:I was under the impression Chad got a raise last year after flirting with Baylor. That was incorrect? If so, how much do we have to "Pony Up" to keep him and staff?

Don't think that's the case-certainly not a substantial raise-don't think staff got anything. Nobody has confirmed. There were reports at start of December that SMU had extended his contract for 3 years with no mention of a raise for Morris or his staff. That "contract" sat on Morris desk for about 3-4 months as I remember. I think SMU decided to play hard ball with him because they got their feelings hurt with the Baylor situation and butt-hurt because Morris didn't miraculously get us to a bowl in his 2nd year after a total rebuild. If Morris and staff got a raise-where is the announcement-I'd love to have it confirmed that they recognized the hard work of Morris and his staff. That's what you do for a hot-shot coaching prospect
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:29 pm

1) CM is the highest paid non-P5 HC.

2) It is not our $$$, but generous high-dollar boosters that are keeping this program afloat.

3) Regardless of pay, we simply can’t compete against top tier P5 programs if they want to hire him.

Having said all the above, he is clearly our best & hardest working HC since Ron Meyer and for that reason alone, I agree that we should be consistently giving he & his staff pay raises. If it keeps him even 1 additional year, it’s worth it. (Once again it’s not my $$$).
SoCal_Pony

Postby sbsmith » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:25 pm

82Pony wrote:How are the other AAC schools like Memphis so much better at it than us?

Better fan support and more recent on-field success (BTW we're currently ahead of Memphis in the 247 composite rankings).
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Stallion » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:23 pm

Memphis has been recruiting off 8, 9 and 10 win seasons with substantially increased attendance. Morris has been recruiting off 1, 2 and 5 win seasons before family and friends. Step by Step. It was always a 3-4 year rebuilding project
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby gostangs » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:29 pm

so if we paid him an extra 10% - 200k - he would turn down the next level job which will double his salary? No bumps or attendance will help that, and the attendance isn't coming until after we do something noteworthy on the field, which hasn't happened.

Love Chad - but there isn't anything SMU should have done at this point differently, except maybe invest in some marketing with more gusto without Brad Thomas having to lead the charge.
gostangs

Postby deucetz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:34 am

Stallion wrote:Memphis has been recruiting off 8, 9 and 10 win seasons with substantially increased attendance. Morris has been recruiting off 1, 2 and 5 win seasons before family and friends. Step by Step. It was always a 3-4 year rebuilding project

More like a 6 to 10 year rebuild. UT hasn't even been a 3 to 4 year rebuild.
deucetz
All-American

Postby 82Pony » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:51 am

deucetz wrote:
Stallion wrote:Memphis has been recruiting off 8, 9 and 10 win seasons with substantially increased attendance. Morris has been recruiting off 1, 2 and 5 win seasons before family and friends. Step by Step. It was always a 3-4 year rebuilding project

More like a 6 to 10 year rebuild. UT hasn't even been a 3 to 4 year rebuild.

In 2009 Memphis was 2-10, in 2010 they were 1-11, and in 2011 they were 2-10. Attendance was horrible (SMU bad.) They hired Justin Fuente and in his third year, 2014, went 10 and 3. Their attendance levels have only started to really improve since about 2015. Somehow they got it done.
82Pony
Varsity

Postby PonyTime » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:57 am

Are you people actually suggesting that Van Malone should get a raise?
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:08 am

PonyTime wrote:Are you people actually suggesting that Van Malone should get a raise?

Hey he held our last opponent to zero passing yards!
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby ponypatrick » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:36 pm

Stallion wrote:No Chad Morris will get us to 7 wins-leave-and say good luck with YOUR problem. Because that's what it is-an SMU problem of over a half a Century. No raise in 2016 for him and his staff last year-and some saying not until he wins big games. No raise in 2017? No IPF? Screw that SMU money-boys who don't have the financial appetite for big-time College football -you have a hot property on your hands and we are driving him off with no visible signs of increased financial or fan support. Plenty of talk about replacing him by hiring a former high school coach with no Coordinator experience. Morris and his entire staff should have been given a substantial raise last year because he is the hardest working Coach and staff this school has ever had-that's how you make a hot-shot coaching prospect happy. Later

I think the problem a lot of us have with CM goes back to what JJ did to
us. I for one don't want to see SMU allow these coaches to continually check out on us during the season (HCCM BU
flirtation which impacted Navy game/bowl eligibility) because they are discouraged by lack of fan support , facilities ,
etc. He knew our history going in , and is paid handsomely for his services. For one who continually preaches "family",
he has historically always had his eye on the next job......to me that is a characteristic of a hypocrite.
ponypatrick
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football