PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bleeds Blue and Red

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Bleeds Blue and Red

Postby 82Pony » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:43 pm

OLEJACKETFAN wrote:Texas A&M probably wont fire a 8 win Coach to hire another 8 win Coach at best. Arkansas appears to be looking at others. The Vols want a bigger name. He wouldn't be interested in Nebraska and I don't think they would be interested in him. I know he wont go to Miss or TT. Only other place would be backfill at Miss State. Better to stay at SMU another year. What school or situation am I missing? Just an FYI, CM is a great Coach, but he doesn't interview well.

I seem to hear Ole Miss as a likely destination. All rumors to this point though.
82Pony
Varsity

Postby sbsmith » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:59 pm

82Pony wrote:So what's the answer? If we paid 5 million a year a good coach is still gonna leave for a better opportunity. My point is it would be nice to have a coach that wanted to be at SMU.

No easy answers and there's a lot that's out of the school's control. Best any school can do is hire well and get the community to "Lock Arms" for the HC. G5 schools generally have a tough time with the locking arms part.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby peruna81 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:02 pm

Arky might go Gus, of all things....he burned some bridges there with their fans, though. Might look at Morris, only if turned down by others. He is second tier on their search list. As mentioned above, there is a Whataburger in Fayette-nam.

Tennessee is all over the place. They think they want and can get Gruden...not likely.

Florida might go after Frost, and Nebraska might, too..

Ole Miss, as mentioned, is going to eventually come around to Morris in some fashion....even if it is to only finish out the search process. I still think this is where he lands if he leaves us.

Aggie will look at Jimbo, Franklin, Peterson, Patterson and Chip...and I think get no where with all of them. They know about Morris, but he hasn't "won".

SMU is in a great place to find another aggressive coach like Morris, should he choose to move.

I tend to think he will be back next year,
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:57 pm

CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby ponypatrick » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:54 pm

mrydel wrote:
ponypatrick wrote:
mrydel wrote:You want a coach who would stay with us for 10 years, hire Houston Nutt. I know that drives many crazy but he is a good coach and can recruit like crazy. He is a little old, a little brash, and extremely egotistical. He is not high on anyone’s list right now and if we got him, I truly believe he would not be in future demand primarily due to age. He has exonerated himself from the Ole Miss fiasco and tried to get us to hire him in the past.

Our best choice? Most likely not. But a choice that I do think could be good and could be a lasting position.

PLEASE , NO ! I worked with his brother at Texas State setting up booster group for men's basketball and
am familiar with all three brothers........snakes in the grass !!

They all speak very highly of you.

intelligent post :D
ponypatrick
Varsity

Previous

Return to Football