PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bleeds Blue and Red

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bleeds Blue and Red

Postby 82Pony » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:14 pm

Evidently we need a coach that is an SMU alum that will stay as long as it takes to get the program to a respectable and sustainable level. How long before Ramon Flanigan is ready?
82Pony
Varsity

Re: Bleeds Blue and Red

Postby geno » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:15 pm

Forrest Gregg?
geno
Junior Varsity

Postby gostangs » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:25 pm

forest Gregg was a disaster for our university. Nice guy, but we lost many valuable years while we dithered with him.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sbsmith » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:47 pm

82Pony wrote:Evidently we need a coach that is an SMU alum that will stay as long as it takes to get the program to a respectable and sustainable level. How long before Ramon Flanigan is ready?

We just need to keep hiring good coaches regardless of where they went to school. Only 20 out of 130 FBS HCs are coaching at their alma maters.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby 82Pony » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:47 am

sbsmith wrote:
82Pony wrote:Evidently we need a coach that is an SMU alum that will stay as long as it takes to get the program to a respectable and sustainable level. How long before Ramon Flanigan is ready?

We just need to keep hiring good coaches regardless of where they went to school. Only 20 out of 130 FBS HCs are coaching at their alma maters.

I had no idea there were that many! Obviously we don't have to have an SMU alum coach. Its just frustrating as a "stepping stone school" that we can't get a good coach to stick around. I know it's tough to live in the Highland Park area on 2.2 million a year and, an ambitious coach doesn't want to waste a career at a G5 school. So what's the answer? If we paid 5 million a year a good coach is still gonna leave for a better opportunity. My point is it would be nice to have a coach that wanted to be at SMU.
82Pony
Varsity

Postby PonyTime » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:58 am

I think Jank is the type of guy who could stick around for a while. And if his son enrolls here, we should be able to hold onto him for quite some time.

As for football, not sure you are going to find an alum that fits that criteria. Randy Allen has a better gig at HP.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:00 pm

You want a coach who would stay with us for 10 years, hire Houston Nutt. I know that drives many crazy but he is a good coach and can recruit like crazy. He is a little old, a little brash, and extremely egotistical. He is not high on anyone’s list right now and if we got him, I truly believe he would not be in future demand primarily due to age. He has exonerated himself from the Ole Miss fiasco and tried to get us to hire him in the past.

Our best choice? Most likely not. But a choice that I do think could be good and could be a lasting position.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby 82Pony » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:27 pm

mrydel wrote:You want a coach who would stay with us for 10 years, hire Houston Nutt. I know that drives many crazy but he is a good coach and can recruit like crazy. He is a little old, a little brash, and extremely egotistical. He is not high on anyone’s list right now and if we got him, I truly believe he would not be in future demand primarily due to age. He has exonerated himself from the Ole Miss fiasco and tried to get us to hire him in the past.

Our best choice? Most likely not. But a choice that I do think could be good and could be a lasting position.

Interesting............definitely not a sexy pick. He does seem desperate enough. Watching him on CBS this year I'm not impressed. Kinda the same way I feel about Mack Brown, uninspiring. Maybe he's our man!
82Pony
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:48 pm

Definitely not a Mack Brown. Nutt is a rah-rah guy. Problem with that is it gets old after a while. But get him in a recruits home and he will sell the mom to sell the kid. Nothing flashy as a coach but took Arkansas to 2 SEC Championship games.
mrydel

Postby ponypatrick » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:01 pm

mrydel wrote:You want a coach who would stay with us for 10 years, hire Houston Nutt. I know that drives many crazy but he is a good coach and can recruit like crazy. He is a little old, a little brash, and extremely egotistical. He is not high on anyone’s list right now and if we got him, I truly believe he would not be in future demand primarily due to age. He has exonerated himself from the Ole Miss fiasco and tried to get us to hire him in the past.

PLEASE , NO ! I worked with his brother at Texas State setting up booster group for men's basketball and
am familiar with all three brothers........snakes in the grass !!
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby OLEJACKETFAN » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:37 pm

SMU has a Coach! Need a DC that can get talented, faster athletes to come play for him!
OLEJACKETFAN
Scout Team

Postby mrydel » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:40 pm

ponypatrick wrote:

PLEASE , NO ! I worked with his brother at Texas State setting up booster group for men's basketball and
am familiar with all three brothers........snakes in the grass !!

They all speak very highly of you.
mrydel

Postby 82Pony » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:55 pm

OLEJACKETFAN wrote:SMU has a Coach! Need a DC that can get talented, faster athletes to come play for him!

Right, but if he wins one more game (or maybe no more) he's leaving us for greener pastures. At least that's the prevailing sentiment. Time will tell but, Lawler's comments seemed to intimate the players know something we don't about Chads future.
82Pony
Varsity

Postby OLEJACKETFAN » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:16 pm

Texas A&M probably wont fire a 8 win Coach to hire another 8 win Coach at best. Arkansas appears to be looking at others. The Vols want a bigger name. He wouldn't be interested in Nebraska and I don't think they would be interested in him. I know he wont go to Miss or TT. Only other place would be backfill at Miss State. Better to stay at SMU another year. What school or situation am I missing? Just an FYI, CM is a great Coach, but he doesn't interview well.
OLEJACKETFAN
Scout Team

Postby ojaipony » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:19 pm

Rambo!

He's been GA-ing at Ohio State. Give him a defensive coaching role, linebackers maybe. Then he can work his way up.
ojaipony

Next

Return to Football