PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Big Wheels Keep Turning, Proud PANIC Keeps Rolling

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Big Wheels Keep Turning, Proud PANIC Keeps Rolling

Postby ponyte » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:19 am

Memphis, home of the Delta Blues and Elvis the Pelvis and the mightiest Tigers in the land will surely beat us. Memphis scares the Hades out of me. Their strong, blue and have the Mighty Mississippi right there. We don’t stand a chance. I just want to hide under my security blanket, curl up into the fetal position and cry.

Memphis is a ranked team and we just can't win against ranked teams cause they just too dog gone good for us.

Their Tigers, not those kinda sissy Tigers like at Auburn or LSU, but real Delta Blue Tigers. They’re so fierce, that the valiant Vols refuse to play them. A loss to Memphis would be unendurable shame. How can we even walk into the Liberty Bowl knowing that?

Memphis is so tough; when Elvis died they had him buried in the backyard like a dog. Guess that's why the called him King. Tough bunch.

When it absolutely, positively has to be PANIC, Memphis delivers. They even have a whole fleet of planes to deliver the PANIC they want to spread.

Oh we don't have a QB and we haven't had a QB since #47 Fred Benners threw 4 TD passes and upset the Fighting Irish in '51.

Oh, we don’t have a coach. Weall know that HCCM has already signed a contract and will be name the new head coach at Nebraska, Old Miss, Florida, Texas A$M...

We can't beat Memphis even when the great Hacksaw Jim Duggan played offensive tackle, defensive tackle and fullback against Memphis.

If only we had a defense. If only. Hopefully Memphis will not pull some drunken student out of the stands to run their offense against us. We all know how well our defense makes Heisman candidates out of drunken students.

Memphis is going to make their dry rub BBQ ribs out of our Mustangs and there is not we can do about it. It is just so unfair.

We are doomed to defeat, no need to even show up. As they sing in the play,

Ah gits weary an' sick o' tryin'
Ah'm tired o livin' an' skeered o' dyin'
But ol' man river
He jes' keeps rollin' PANIC along!
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Big Wheels Keep Turning, Proud PANIC Keeps Rolling

Postby mtrout » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:59 am

Seems pretty accurate
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby HubbaHubba » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:15 am

Spot on. 'nuff said.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby 78pony » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:17 am

Hard to disagree.
78pony
Heisman

Postby No Quarter » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:50 am

A nice piece by one respected observer and a succinct comment by another started this thread.

I can't / won't try to outdo them, in the interest of creative hyperbole. I will say that SMU defector David Moore is evidently second team at Memphis and I hope he does not get into the game today.

I remember - not reading the original newspaper articles when I was ten years old - but the many retrospectives since. Lots of observers said ND would name the score in 1949.

And this morning I like the remark on another thread that mentioned the narrow losses to UCF and the Academy.

Go Ponies.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:24 am

Last time a panic thread was posted SMU lost. Less see if it continues.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smitty329 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:04 am

As a music and lyric purest, the title of this thread irritates me - It should be ... Proud PANIC keep on Burnin' or Rollin', Rollin', Rollin' on the River.

As a mustang football fan I find I enter games with optimism. I don't experience panic until during the game along with a roller coaster ride of emotion such as frustration/disappointment or continued optimism/relief/joy depending on performance and time remaining.
smitty329
All-American

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:23 am

smitty329 wrote:As a music and lyric purest, the title of this thread irritates me - It should be ... Proud PANIC keep on Burnin' or Rollin', Rollin', Rollin' on the River.

As a mustang football fan I find I enter games with optimism. I don't experience panic until during the game along with a roller coaster ride of emotion such as frustration/disappointment or continued optimism/relief/joy depending on performance and time remaining.

Could the lyrics be: " Rollin'-over, Rollin'-over, Rollin'-over on the River".
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smitty329 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:16 pm

PoconoPony wrote:
smitty329 wrote:As a music and lyric purest, the title of this thread irritates me - It should be ... Proud PANIC keep on Burnin' or Rollin', Rollin', Rollin' on the River.

Could the lyrics be: " Rollin'-over, Rollin'-over, Rollin'-over on the River".

Yes from the SMU perspective - or that the panic was due to Memphis ability to keep rollin' on the river - i.e. we wouldn't be (and were not) able to stop them.
smitty329
All-American

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:48 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Last time a panic thread was posted SMU lost. Less see if it continues.

:shock:
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football