PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Farewell to Van Malone

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Farewell to Van Malone

Postby mrydel » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:10 pm

PonySnob wrote:180-62
Average margin of loss - 39.3 points

We cut into that figure
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:37 pm

Stallion wrote:It might be a strength on a very poor defense but those guys wearing blue on the Offensive Line with 144 starts flat embarrassed each and every SMU Defensive Lineman

D Line got absolutely murdered today. Film session is gonna be brutal, and rightfully so.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:39 pm

mrydel wrote:
PonySnob wrote:180-62
Average margin of loss - 39.3 points

We cut into that figure

Does anybody know what the hell he is talking about? We've lost by 3, 20, 21, 7 and 13. 3 of those teams are likely top 15, Navy may be Top 25 if they beat Notre Dame and UH is a bowl team-
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Farewell to Van Malone

Postby Grant Carter » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:51 pm

He was talking about the last 3 games against Memphis, except we had 52 points, not 62.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby PonySnob » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:14 pm

Grant Carter wrote:He was talking about the last 3 games against Memphis, except we had 52 points, not 62.

You are correct, so the actual loss margin is closer to 43 points per game.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:11 pm

Van, you're making me work.

Here are the yards we gave up per opponent vs what that opponent averages per game this season.

SFA - yards vs SMU 219. Season Avg yards per game - dunno, D1-AA
NTSU - yards vs SMU 493. Season Avg 476
TCU - yards vs SMU 619. Season Avg 434
Ark St - yards vs SMU 427. Season Avg 453
UConn - yards vs SMU 400. Season Avg 412
Coogs - yards vs SMU 463. Season Avg 441
Cincy - yards vs SMU 438. Season Avg 356
UCF - yards vs SMU 615. Season Avg 538
Navy - yards vs SMU 559. Season Avg 468
Memphis - yards vs SMU 664. Season Avg 503

Now of course our opponents averages are skewed by the fact that I am including our game in their average. Memphis averaged ~483 yards per game until they played us.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:21 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:Van, you're making me work.

Here are the yards we gave up per opponent vs what that opponent averages per game this season.

SFA - yards vs SMU 219. Season Avg yards per game - dunno, D1-AA
NTSU - yards vs SMU 493. Season Avg 476
TCU - yards vs SMU 619. Season Avg 434
Ark St - yards vs SMU 427. Season Avg 453
UConn - yards vs SMU 400. Season Avg 412
Coogs - yards vs SMU 463. Season Avg 441
Cincy - yards vs SMU 438. Season Avg 356
UCF - yards vs SMU 615. Season Avg 538
Navy - yards vs SMU 559. Season Avg 468
Memphis - yards vs SMU 664. Season Avg 503

Now of course our opponents averages are skewed by the fact that I am including our game in their average. Memphis averaged ~483 yards per game until they played us.

So are you actually suggesting our defense stinks? Blasphemy! While you were doing your research, did you check to see points scored against our D vs the opponent's season average? We might far slightly better by that measurement. Bend but don't break!
Charleston Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:59 pm

I didn't CP, too much work.

TCU can be argued an outlier, I get that.

But the past 4 weeks, D has really struggled.

I do think Van and specifically these last 4 weeks, may have given us 1 more year of CM. Also think CM wants to leave and therefore, IF he stays, he has to replace him.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:02 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:I didn't CP, too much work.

I do think Van and specifically these last 4 weeks, may have given us 1 more year of CM. Also think CM wants to leave and therefore, IF he stays, he has to replace him.

Tend to agree. Loyalty is one thing, but too much pressure to win and right now this D isn't giving us much hope.
Charleston Pony

Postby ebrooks11 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:04 pm

So basically we held the JV teams below their average and the varsity got more than their average.
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby OLEJACKETFAN » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:12 pm

I would agree Malone has done a lot for SMU, because he probably helped CM to be here a fourth year! Not all VM fault but he has cost CM a couple million dollars in a round about way!!! Chad will replace him! I wonder what the D is ranked now compared to last 5 years.
OLEJACKETFAN
Scout Team

Postby Greenwich Pony » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:45 am

Look, I'm as disappointed with the losses we have as anybody but a little reality check. We're where we should be, beating teams we should beat and we've lost to teams that we thought were better. I think VM has actually had this defense playing out of their minds all year. We just don't have the depth and talent on that side of the ball, and they're managed to come through for us when the much more talented offense has sputtered. This team is 6-4, where it basically should be but without our defense, we could very easily be 4-6 right now. Van has done a good job with too few good pieces. We need more defensive recruiting and some JUCO players and the offense needs to get better too so the guys aren't on the field after so many 3 and outs.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:33 am

Greenwich Pony wrote:Look, I'm as disappointed with the losses we have as anybody but a little reality check. We're where we should be, beating teams we should beat and we've lost to teams that we thought were better. I think VM has actually had this defense playing out of their minds all year. We just don't have the depth and talent on that side of the ball, and they're managed to come through for us when the much more talented offense has sputtered. This team is 6-4, where it basically should be but without our defense, we could very easily be 4-6 right now. Van has done a good job with too few good pieces. We need more defensive recruiting and some JUCO players and the offense needs to get better too so the guys aren't on the field after so many 3 and outs.

Here are the points I would disagree with:
* Matt Rhule built Temple from a dumpster fire to good in a short amount of time.
* Morris turned our offense from dumpster fire to outstanding in only three classes
* We should expect Van Malone could turn our defense from dumpster fire into halfway adequate in only three classes
* The coaching staff believes we have talent at DL, one corner, and safety. They believe we have enough to be adequate.

We should expect more. Whether it is the scheme or the players or some combo of the two, some of the coaching staff should be held responsible. Something needs to change because more of the same won't get us any better.
JasonB

Postby MV pony » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:49 am

The coaching staff also said we had 3 quality QBs competing for the job.
MV pony
All-American

Postby smitty329 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:34 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:I didn't CP, too much work.

Boredom/ADD on a Sunday morning -
1) I limited to AAC teams and their stats against conf opponents
2) I did not adjust for non-defensive scores - i.e. pick 6, special teams, etc.:

SMU Defensive Stats vs AAC.jpg
SMU Defensive Stats vs AAC.jpg (67.58 KiB) Viewed 1789 times
smitty329
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football