PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

FIRE MALONE

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: FIRE MALONE

Postby expony18 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:10 pm

Please fire
WEST DIVISION CHAMPS 2010
expony18
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:21 pm

Fire Malone now! Do not wait until Monday!
mustangxc

Postby solomouse » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:50 pm

We have half a team...I don’t understand why any teams bother to try a run based offense agaisnt us. Pass completions are so easy....I am nothing more than a long long time fan,and my technical understanding is weak at best..with that said,our defense is terrible...very poor pass rush effort,slow secondary and misearable tackle technique...I don’t see skill and I don’t know if it is coaching or ability...or both?..I don’t see much improvement for the future,looking at our list of commits for next year...
solomouse
Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:56 pm

#FireVanMalone
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:58 pm

Probably because they are running team-their Head Coach probably saw what Navy did without attempting a pass. Willie Fritz will always be a run-first Head Coach-and he's got a great reputation for it-that's how he spreads the butter
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby jpe747 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:53 am

IMO - In 2015 our db's were weak and our d-line was weak. Last year (2016) our db's were much more savvy about play and we saw a major improvement in the number of interceptions. Our d-line was better but still pretty weak. This year (2017) our db's are inexperienced (other than Wyatt) and are weak. They are mostly so's with a few freshmen. I think the d-line is much improved. Even the lb's have shown some development. I think part of our problem on defense has been inexperience and I hope that we find our db's greatly improved next season (like what happened in 2016). BTW, Onu (so) made some big plays against Tulane. I think the biggest problem this year on defense has been stopping the big plays. Turning the 30, 40 or 50 yard plays into 15 to 20 with better reaction on the field. Hopefully that will come with experience. I would also like to see more speed on defense. I've seen our guys just loose footraces on a few plays. Nonetheless, my point is Malone may be doing his job well. We need to take into consideration he is starting six (6) sophomores.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby jimhagle » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:49 am

The D-line was supposed to be better this year and wasn't so much. They got gashed a lot this year. And Malone certainly didn't seem to coach up the D much this year.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:27 am

Primary job of the DL is too occupy the OL and let the LBs make plays. We had nothing at LB.

Now someone like Ed Oliver adds a little more to the DL but we do not have him.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:50 am

Maybe they just have him on the wrong side of the ball.
One Trick Pony

Postby GeorgiaMustang » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:49 pm

It’s beyond experience and talent. We get teams into 3rd and long often but shift to the BS 3 down linemen prevent, and it is predictable.

I feel like the right defensive gameplan with our current talent would have much better results.
Those who complain about a problem are simply wasting time they could use to fix it.

Potential is nothing, performance is everything.
GeorgiaMustang
All-American

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:19 pm

This defense clearly has talent deficiencies across the board. While that is ultimately on the coaches, the actual defensive preparations and tactical changes during games is something that Malone has not shown to be very adept at, and that is worrisome. When I watch SMU play defense, the question is not if we will stop them, but rather how long will it take for the other team to score to give the our offense the ball again. The offense is so further along than the defense I just don't see how this changes with Malone as DC next year. It's time for a change.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:22 am

Mustangs_Maroons wrote: The offense is so further along than the defense I just don't see how this changes with Malone as DC next year. It's time for a change.

SMU needs to go deep pockets for a top notch coordinator (and D staff).
Bergermeister

Postby ponyte » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:47 am

Until we get better over all talent on D, I don't beleive Buddy Ryan, Chuck Knoll, Bill Arnsparger, Bud Grant, Wade and or Bum Phillips, Bill Belichick or Tom Landry could do better.

When one has to protect against obvious deficiencies, one can't have a complete defense. Now many of us can spot the deficiencies from the stands. Imagine what a half decent O coordinator sees!

Who you gonna hire that can make too small D linemen big enough in a week or two? Who you gonna hire that can increase th overall LB speed? Who you gonna hire that will dturn Fr ad So D backs into Juriors and Senoirs all of a sudden?

Please, tell me who you can hire that can miraculously correct all this overnight?
ponyte

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:55 am

Who we gonna hire who tells the defensive players what the defensive call is? Who we gonna hire who makes sure the defense knows their assignments? Who we gonna hire who looks at film of the opposing offense? Who we gonna hire who can adapt quicker as the game goes on? Who we gonna hire who is aware of the clock and the game situation?
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:44 pm

HubbaHubba wrote:Who we gonna hire who tells the defensive players what the defensive call is? Who we gonna hire who makes sure the defense knows their assignments? Who we gonna hire who looks at film of the opposing offense? Who we gonna hire who can adapt quicker as the game goes on? Who we gonna hire who is aware of the clock and the game situation?

Ghostbusters?
One Trick Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football