PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who feels confident about Tulane?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Who feels confident about Tulane?

Postby 78pony » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:20 pm

I am thinking we spit the bit and Tulane whops us by 10+. Their QB has some talent and can run & pass. Ugh. Van waves bye on a bad note.
78pony
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:03 pm

Going to be interesting to see how many people are in the stadium to see it.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:10 pm

yes it will-its always interesting to see just how pathetic the SMU fanbase can get

also interesting to see how many Tulane fans are there
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:27 pm

I think even in the Memphis game, our offense showed a lot of resiliency. I don't think we will spit the bit in our last home game of the season. I expect it to be another close game at home. For the most part, we have come away with those wins.
JasonB

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:37 pm

Had we beat UCF and Navy then I get your point about potential lousy fan base. It should be no surprise to anyone (outside of the rabid fans): it’s extremely hard to get excited about a team that lost 3 in a row. 2 should have been wins or gone into OT at a minimum on thanksgiving week. I’m not going to blame fan attendance with those factors.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:46 pm

Stallion wrote:yes it will-its always interesting to see just how pathetic the SMU fanbase can get

also interesting to see how many Tulane fans are there

1). The fan base is like every other fan base. They get excited about winning and they get turned off by losing.

2) Also they are small and 60% non Texans, so they tend to not be in Dallas for Thanksgiving.

Nothing new about either of those things. Enjoy yourself and don't get frustrated about what you can't control. Give up on seeing it much different unless we start winning meaningful games. We haven't done that in 30 years so it is not fair to judge the SMU fan base.
gostangs

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:49 pm

...because SMU fans do not care too terribly much about Football. Believe me actual Football fans don't have to be persuaded to go to a game where you are trying to get to 7 wins after a half decade of ineptitude.. actual Football fans are excited about these games in a turnaround year
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby gostangs » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:58 pm

What turnaround year? Who have we beaten that is decent?

When we are relevant and it means something they will come. If it doesn't happen then you can say I told you so. But see SMU basketball, cause I'm not wrong.
gostangs

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:02 pm

I disagree. I think we have football fans but we don’t have fans that are proud of SMU football. They would rather attend Dallas Cowboys or just watch at home. If we start winning meaningful games and consistently I think they will come. It’s just hard to be excited about a team that lost 3 straight and haven’t beat anyone that you can brag around “the water cooler”.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:09 pm

gostangs wrote:What turnaround year? Who have we beaten that is decent?

When we are relevant and it means something they will come. If it doesn't happen then you can say I told you so. But see SMU basketball, cause I'm not wrong.

Yeah when SMU goes 7-5 and I pick all 12 games--in fact picked all 12 games in preseason-- I'll probably let you know. Its ridiculous to claim a 7-5 season is not a turnaround year after where this program was at. And SMU Basketball-you're talking apples to oranges and you know it

Stallion

Postby mustangxc » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:58 pm

I am very happy we are going bowling this season but even if we beat Tulane on Saturday, which I expect, is this season really any better than last season or simply a reflection of weaker scheduling? I know the offense has been better and our record will reflect 2 more wins but to the marginal fan that is not improvement. To win over the fair weather fans you need actual wins against good teams not moral victories.
mustangxc

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:28 pm

Oh come on we were in every game this year until the 4th Q. We were about 74 points more competitive against top teams like TCU, Memphis and Navy. Didn't play UCF last year-7 point loss this year but had similar 8 point loss to USF in 2016. TCU, UCF and Memphis are Top 16 teams-we didn't play that level teams in 2016 -at least as the season nears an end. The only Top 25 team we played according to the Final rankings was No. 19 USF-which we were competitive with. Finally, this easily the highest scoring and total yardage team in SMU history--easily
Last edited by Stallion on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stallion

Postby mustangxc » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:34 pm

Stallion, I agree but you were bashing Saturday’s expected attendance against Tulane. To the average fan being more competitive in games we end up losing means nothing. For fair weather fans 7-5 with a 30 point margin of defeat in losses is the same as 7-5 with a 3 point margin of defeat.
mustangxc

Postby SMUer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:22 pm

What “true” football fans do you speak of? UT had what looked like 20% of its student section filled a couple of weeks ago. Lubbock attendance was pathetic against the #12 “new rival”. Tulane was in a must-win and didn’t fill its stadium. Stanford was playing Cal and it looked 1/3 full. Alabama’s students were leaving at halftime. And on and on and on. Meanwhile let’s take a dump on lil old SMU who has spent 22 of 25 years in near constant rebuilding mode.
SMUer

Postby Grant Carter » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:20 pm

SMUer wrote:What “true” football fans do you speak of? UT had what looked like 20% of its student section filled a couple of weeks ago. Lubbock attendance was pathetic against the #12 “new rival”. Tulane was in a must-win and didn’t fill its stadium. Stanford was playing Cal and it looked 1/3 full. Alabama’s students were leaving at halftime. And on and on and on. Meanwhile let’s take a dump on lil old SMU who has spent 22 of 25 years in near constant rebuilding mode.

This is an SMU board, it makes sense to focus on SMU. There are a lot of general college football boards where people talk about all sorts of teams.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football