PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who feels confident about Tulane?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Who feels confident about Tulane?

Postby skyscraper » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:43 pm

There's no reason for any SMU person to reschedule their Thanksgiving plans for this game. I will be there with the other 4999. But acting like it's some travesty there's not a full stadium for SMU vs Tulane on thanksgiving weekend is ridiculous.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:45 pm

And its similarly ridiculous not to realize that Chad Morris will be looking for the first P5 ticket out of this SMU mess
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:39 pm

He’s not leaving for a dead-end P5 school like Kansas. No way. He would be better off here since he has already built up the offense and has players trust. I don’t even think he would consider Tech. Wife would be upset moving to tortilla maker City from highland park. Family does impact work decisions.

Tulane. I have confidence that we will win and it will be a large margin in the 4th quarter. We are a good team at home. We suck on the road.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:46 am

skyscraper wrote:There's no reason for any SMU person to reschedule their Thanksgiving plans for this game. I will be there with the other 4999. But acting like it's some travesty there's not a full stadium for SMU vs Tulane on thanksgiving weekend is ridiculous.

Missing the point. It's not about rescheduling anyone's Thanksgiving plans. It's just what SMU is. There will be plenty of well attended games this weekend by fans of teams that have not "rescheduled" any plans...they simply HAD plans to attend those games and support their school. The vast majority of our alumni do not support the program and that's a big part of why SMU is where it is in the world of college football.
Charleston Pony

Postby 82Pony » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:29 am

Stallion wrote:And its similarly ridiculous not to realize that Chad Morris will be looking for the first P5 ticket out of this SMU mess

And it's similarly ridiculous not to realize that Chad Morris hasn't earned his P5 job yet. I think we lose to Tulane and a 6-6 record even at lowly SMU doesn't cut it. Another year of improvement to go. We will see.
82Pony
Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:53 am

Charleston Pony wrote:There will be plenty of well attended games this weekend by fans of teams that have not "rescheduled" any plans...they simply HAD plans to attend those games and support their school.

Exactly!!!!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:29 am

I'm confident our defense will have no clue what to do. We'll win if we score 50 and the Tulane offense self destructs.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:55 am

Should be great weather. Sunny skies and probably around 55-60 degrees at kickoff.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby PonySnob » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:35 pm

Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby smustatesman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:19 pm

Since the Cowboys suck I'm sure Dallas will show up for SMU's game on the 25th.
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Postby SMUer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:04 am

Grant Carter wrote:
SMUer wrote:What “true” football fans do you speak of? UT had what looked like 20% of its student section filled a couple of weeks ago. Lubbock attendance was pathetic against the #12 “new rival”. Tulane was in a must-win and didn’t fill its stadium. Stanford was playing Cal and it looked 1/3 full. Alabama’s students were leaving at halftime. And on and on and on. Meanwhile let’s take a dump on lil old SMU who has spent 22 of 25 years in near constant rebuilding mode.

This is an SMU board, it makes sense to focus on SMU. There are a lot of general college football boards where people talk about all sorts of teams.

My comment was directed toward Stallion’s assertion that “actual football fans” need no persuasion to attend football games. I asked for an example of said “actual fans” (I said “true”). If he is going to continually call SMU fans “pathetic” and “not actual fans”, I’d like to know his exemplar of a similar university, who has “actual” fans. Thanks.

We like to do a lot of “we’re not worthy” self-flagellation on here, mostly at the beshest of Stallion, but I personally would like to know of a reason I should be embarrassed. Or attendance issues 100% make sense to me. People say we have “stupid fans”, or that we have “pathetic fans” or “fairweather fans”, or “the worst fans” but I think we’re mainly just simple consumers who have had a crap, mostly non-competitive products for 25 years. I fully recognize my love of SMU football is unique and not rational. I do not expect SMU to have 25,000 of similarly afflicted persons like some of you do.
SMUer

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:07 am

I think we have ‘special’ fans.
smusic 00

Postby mrydel » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:56 am

Or “challenged”
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:08 am

SMUer wrote:
Grant Carter wrote:
SMUer wrote:What “true” football fans do you speak of? UT had what looked like 20% of its student section filled a couple of weeks ago. Lubbock attendance was pathetic against the #12 “new rival”. Tulane was in a must-win and didn’t fill its stadium. Stanford was playing Cal and it looked 1/3 full. Alabama’s students were leaving at halftime. And on and on and on. Meanwhile let’s take a dump on lil old SMU who has spent 22 of 25 years in near constant rebuilding mode.

This is an SMU board, it makes sense to focus on SMU. There are a lot of general college football boards where people talk about all sorts of teams.

My comment was directed toward Stallion’s assertion that “actual football fans” need no persuasion to attend football games. I asked for an example of said “actual fans” (I said “true”). If he is going to continually call SMU fans “pathetic” and “not actual fans”, I’d like to know his exemplar of a similar university, who has “actual” fans. Thanks.

We like to do a lot of “we’re not worthy” self-flagellation on here, mostly at the beshest of Stallion, but I personally would like to know of a reason I should be embarrassed. Or attendance issues 100% make sense to me. People say we have “stupid fans”, or that we have “pathetic fans” or “fairweather fans”, or “the worst fans” but I think we’re mainly just simple consumers who have had a crap, mostly non-competitive products for 25 years. I fully recognize my love of SMU football is unique and not rational. I do not expect SMU to have 25,000 of similarly afflicted persons like some of you do.

Once again...you are missing the point regarding SMU "fans". One could argue the few loyal fans SMU has are among the best in all of college football because they have endured 30 years of mostly pathetic football & basketball but have remained loyal and sill come out to support the program. The issue is that there are so few of us that we simply haven't demonstrated this school is deserving of Division I FBS status, much less P5 status. When Stallion (and others including me) rant about our attendance woes, we are not attacking people who hang around on this board because we all really care about SMU athletics. It's just that the majority of our classmates and former classmates just couldn't care less about sports...and that is a big part of why SMU is struggling to compete at the FBS level.
Charleston Pony

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:21 am

mrydel wrote:Or “challenged”

Short bus?
Bergermeister

PreviousNext

Return to Football