PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who feels confident about Tulane?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Who feels confident about Tulane?

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:56 am

Blowhards gonna' blowhard.

USF had maybe 20K for their last home game despite being ranked in the Top 25 and an undergrad student population of 45,000.

Memphis had roughly the same for their matchup against us with 21,000 undergrads.

Tulane playing on Senior Day against Houston and they had maybe 8-10K and that was 75% UH fans.

Both of these programs are playing for a whole hell of a lot more and can't get to 50% capacity of their stadiums. Also, don't throw out OFFICIAL attendance figures b/c they fudge theirs just like we do ours. The reality is that unless it is a premium matchup, rivalry game, etc. it isn't moving the needle.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 am

StallionsModelT wrote:The reality is that unless it is a premium matchup, rivalry game, etc. it isn't moving the needle.

And for us that is TCU or any other ex-SWC/now Big12 opponent and ‘kinda’ Coog High.

versus Big12 South schools our dear old SMU is 0-55-1

And now you know the rest of the story.
SoCal_Pony

Postby oilpony » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:21 am

I’m confident we beat Tulane.
oilpony
All-American

Postby TidePony » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:23 am

I think we win.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby longbuzzer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:08 pm

Unless anyone has something better to do on this Saturday early afternoon, like go shopping, I suggest those that attend the game or view on TV catch all four quarters. This can be a 40 something to 40 something ending.

Go ponies, get WIN NUMBER FRIGGING SEVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

Postby Nacho » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:36 pm

we were lucky to win last year. will come down to who wants it least.
Nacho

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:25 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:Blowhards gonna' blowhard.

USF had maybe 20K for their last home game despite being ranked in the Top 25 and an undergrad student population of 45,000.

Memphis had roughly the same for their matchup against us with 21,000 undergrads.

Tulane playing on Senior Day against Houston and they had maybe 8-10K and that was 75% UH fans.

Both of these programs are playing for a whole hell of a lot more and can't get to 50% capacity of their stadiums. Also, don't throw out OFFICIAL attendance figures b/c they fudge theirs just like we do ours. The reality is that unless it is a premium matchup, rivalry game, etc. it isn't moving the needle.

And this is why we are all G5 programs playing in the AAC...no school in our conference is deserving of P5 status but UCF and USF, followed by Memphis, Houston and Cincy (based simply on undergrad populations) have by far the most potential to eventually leave us behind
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:12 pm

someone gets it-a private school such as SMU like TCU has to overachieve-- not just be as bad (actually much worse)-- than the other leftovers who were even passed over by a desperate Big 12. SMU is pulling up the rear with Tulane/Tulsa.

Utah, TCU, Louisville are the schools who have gotten the Golden Bid. Compare our program to those schools-more precisely what those schools did to reach the P5. USF on the other hand was relegated out of the Big Boys Club because-well as it proved again the other nite its a commuter school with no on campus football facility

Houston shows signs of getting there with a new G5 level on campus stadium, expanded campus residences and attendance in the mid 30s. UH is not there yet but its definitely achievable as is UCF during the next expansion. SMU shows ZERO sustainable improvement in solving its attendance problem---50 years later. Once you stop comparing our program to leftovers and start considering what SMU would need to achieve to reach the next level-then you might be on the right track
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:46 pm

Stallion wrote:someone gets it-a private school such as SMU like TCU has to overachieve-- not just be as bad (actually much worse)-- than the other leftovers who were even passed over by a desperate Big 12. SMU is pulling up the rear with Tulane/Tulsa.

Utah, TCU, Louisville are the schools who have gotten the Golden Bid. Compare our program to those schools-more precisely what those schools did to reach the P5. USF on the other hand was relegated out of the Big Boys Club because-well as it proved again the other nite its a commuter school with no on campus football facility

Houston shows signs of getting there with a new G5 level on campus stadium, expanded campus residences and attendance in the mid 30s. UH is not there yet but its definitely achievable as is UCF during the next expansion. SMU shows ZERO sustainable improvement in solving its attendance problem---50 years later. Once you stop comparing our program to leftovers and start considering what SMU would need to achieve to reach the next level-then you might be on the right track

So compare apples (P5) with oranges (G5). Makes sense.
StallionsModelT

Postby mrydel » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:49 pm

No. He compared G5s that made it to P5. It makes a lot of sense.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:52 pm

I guess to those of you old enough to remember SMU playing in a major conference the attendance thing is a big deal. All I've known since following the program for nearly 20 years is that our attendance is in line with our conference peers. When we have a Heisman Trophy finalist (LT) and multiple seasons of 9 plus wins and we are still drawing 10K on a Friday night against a 2 win Tulsa team then I'll say its a problem.

The reality is we have given our alumni and fan base virtually nothing to get excited about over the last 30 years. A brief period of mediocrity with June only to see it burned mercilessly to the ground. The P5 bus left the train a long time ago. We're a small, private school with 30 years worth of futility and an apathetic alumni base. It is what it is. How about the program actually do something that warrants loyalty? And no....6-6 isn't it.
StallionsModelT

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:52 pm

Stallion wrote:Once you stop comparing our program to leftovers and start considering what SMU would need to achieve to reach the next level-then you might be on the right track

I know this is not the reason for our attendance problems, but regarding ‘forward looking’ thinking, our school failed miserably on the design of Ford. Thought it the first moment I went there. Maybe there were construction/design limitations related to University Park that I’m not aware of, but Ford reeks of small-time FB.

Remember going to one of the first Laker games at Staples and thinking, wow, they get it. We didn’t.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
SoCal_Pony

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:54 pm

mrydel wrote:No. He compared G5s that made it to P5. It makes a lot of sense.

Both TCU and Utah did something that SMU hasn't. They won games that mattered. They won conference championships. They won matchups against Top 25 competition. They won meaningful bowl games. They had Heisman candidates.

We've got a few Hawaii Bowls and a loss to Army. Apples and oranges.
StallionsModelT

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:57 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Stallion wrote:Once you stop comparing our program to leftovers and start considering what SMU would need to achieve to reach the next level-then you might be on the right track

I know this is not the reason for our attendance problems, but regarding ‘forward looking’ thinking, our school failed miserably on the design of Ford. Thought it the first moment I went there. Maybe there were construction/design limitations related to University Park that I’m not aware of, but Ford reeks of small-time FB.

Remember going to one of the first Laker games at Staples and thinking, wow, they get it. We didn’t.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Ford is a pretty great venue for SMU. It is starting to show signs of being dated in terms of concourse amenities, restrooms, etc. It could certainly use a facelift. There are, unfortunately, about 50 other things that need to be done financially before we start worrying about Ford.
StallionsModelT

Postby mrydel » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:05 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:
mrydel wrote:No. He compared G5s that made it to P5. It makes a lot of sense.

Both TCU and Utah did something that SMU hasn't. They won games that mattered. They won conference championships. They won matchups against Top 25 competition. They won meaningful bowl games. They had Heisman candidates.

We've got a few Hawaii Bowls and a loss to Army. Apples and oranges.

I agree. That is why we should be playing real teams and not unknown small time programs. Our attendance will not ever improve until we are in a meaningful conference (P5). That is what we need to work on even if it includes bribery.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Football