PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tell me what you see?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Tell me what you see?

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:31 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxhp9m6z_10

Most fans predicted 7 wins or so this season. If we can beat Tulane, that can still be obtained. But, in the last couple of weeks, if you have watched interviews with coaches and players; this is a team that's extremely disappointed, frustrated and has lost all confidence. Just look at the body language and into the eyes. I bet that 99% of the fans feel the same way. It's not just the record, maybe it's the optics. This team is limping home after three loses, that happened in three different disappointing ways. What Chad said about the defense is pretty telling. If HCCM is back on the Hilltop next season, I would expect major changes on the defensive side. Van Malone is in charge of the defense, but LB coach Archie McDaniel, DL coach Buddy Wyatt and DB coach Jess Loepp, have been given a pass. This whole defense, needs an enema. We are pretty much where we thought we would be record wise, but it sure feels lousy.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Tell me what you see?

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:37 am

When your defense is limited to maybe 5 total players, the results are what we have.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MV pony » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:55 am

CM and Lawler do looked whipped.
MV pony
All-American

Postby 78pony » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:10 pm

I see a coach that’s ready for the offseason. He knows he’s got a problem, but I don’t think he knows how to fix it.
78pony
Heisman

Postby 82Pony » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:24 pm

I think he feels he is not getting the players full effort. They don't want it. And he can't motivate them. I think it's a talent deficit.
82Pony
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:46 pm

Expectations got out of line with reality in the fan base. I thought SMU realistically should have been 10 point underdogs in all 3 games. Now the line came down against Navy because Navy was on a 3 game losing streak (Memphis, UCF and Temple) and SMU was 6-2. There is nothing surprising at all about a single one these losses. SMU fans just don't have a good feel for the relative strength of thee 3 opponents. Then the injuries on defense starting piling on-Mixon, Neals, Rhone, R.C. Cox, Wyatt has been playing hurt, Kyran Mitchell has been playing hurt. All of a sudden we are playing about 5 new kids on the backend and they aren't ready to play against quality teams like UCF, Navy and Memphis which are among the top offenses in the Country. They are better football teams than SMU especially with the injuries on Defense-not a big shocker
Last edited by Stallion on Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMUer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:54 pm

If you are 11-for-11 and you think Chad Morris is a reasonable person (and an expert in football and his own team), then why isn’t he more upbeat about where his team is right now? If he knew this was a 4 or 5 year turn around and he believed his realistic goal was just to get to six or seven wins this year then why does he look so dejected? Perhaps you should email him and tell him how much he doesn’t know about football or the model...
SMUer

Postby StallionsModelT » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:56 pm

"We want to be golden in the month of November" - Chad Morris
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby 78pony » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:02 pm

No telling, but thank you Cincy QB and Tulsa WR for monumental brain farts.
78pony
Heisman

Postby smitty329 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:11 pm

A CEO/CFO responding to the media after the qrtly numbers were released and are lower than commitments/market expectations.

I get the disappointment, but it's hard to feel sad for them. We talk about HCCM moving on to more money and a higher profile job when his turnaround is really a mid cap company that had no leadership and is now performing on average compared to others in the industry.

Of course the players aren't motivated - they have scholarships win or lose. I can have a great resume but if I can't perform at or above my industry peers within 12 to 24 months, i am out of a job. How would you feel if you were working your tail off to exceed expectations when 75% of your team can't or won't and are reaping the same benefits?
smitty329
All-American

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:31 pm

sounds smart-seems like you understand the business world-you don't understand much about what it takes for a total rebuild in college football. 24 months? It takes 3-4 years before you can rebuild what no one disputes was one of the least talented and worst offenses AND defenses in the Country. It probably is going to take 5 years to win Championships/Top 25. You rebuild in College Football from the ground up by recruiting. You don't get to find 85 replacements from Day 1. We had about 1 month to get 18-then 25 the next year and 25 more this year--you redshirt as many as you can and also have to develop them in a Strength and Conditioning program. When those kids are Redshirt Sophomores or Juniors you BEGIN to see result. From that foundation and beginning signs of progress you can attract higher rated recruits that can take the program to the Championship level. That's what smart people in the College Football world understand. SMU would have fired Ron Meyer under your scenario because he didn't even get to a Bowl or have a winning record until year 5 and wasn't able to get the players he needed to win Championships until his 4th recruiting class. The good news is that you get 3 credit hours of CLE for attending this Coaching Rebuild 1.0 seminar-hopefully SMU fans are learning something about college football
Last edited by Stallion on Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby MV pony » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:53 pm

By the time the defense is rebuilt, the offense will be soft. And on it goes, same old, same old.
MV pony
All-American

Postby ponypatrick » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:57 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:"We want to be golden in the month of November" - Chad Morris

They are laying plenty of eggs alright. But they aren't "golden".... :lol:
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby ponypatrick » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:03 pm

Stallion wrote:sounds smart-seems like you understand the business world-you don't understand much about what it takes for a total rebuild in college football. 24 months? It takes 3-4 years before you can rebuild what no one disputes was one of the least talented and worst offenses AND defenses in the Country. It probably is going to take 5 years to win Championships/Top 25. You rebuild in College Football from the ground up by recruiting. You don't get to find 85 replacements from Day 1. We had about 1 month to get 18-then 25 the next year and 25 more this year--you redshirt as many as you can and also have to develop them in a Strength and Conditioning program. When those kids are Redshirt Sophomores or Juniors you BEGIN to see result. From that foundation and beginning signs of progress you can attract higher rated recruits that can take the program to the Championship level. That's what smart people in the College Football world understand. SMU would have fired Ron Meyer under your scenario because he didn't even get to a Bowl until year 5 and wasn't able to get the players he needed to win Championships until his 4th recruiting class. The good news is that you get 3 credit hours of CLE for attending this Coaching Rebuild 1.0 seminar-hopefully SMU fans are learning something about college football

Bla , bla , bla..............cry me a river !!!! Bottom line....we have great kids with average talent and a head
coach who is not ready for prime time.
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:12 pm

As someone who predicted 7 wins and thinks CM is our best HC post-DP, I’ll take a stab at it.

I think some forget that towards the end of tiki’s last season here, we were headed towards being the most inept college team IN THE HISTORY OF COLLEGE FB in terms of margin of defeat. tiki truly dumped on this program as he left.

We are lucky that Ben Hicks is a tough kid, as if he goes down, we are royally screwd. That’s true next year as well, there’s zero depth. Hicks is an above average QB, but given CM’s pedigree, I was expecting more. I wonder if CM feels there is a ceiling on his success here with Hicks as QB, especially given his defense.

And oh, that Defense. I understand the complete rebuild, but we have to also acknowledge that next season there will be seniors on this team who were recruited by CM. These last 4 weeks have really exposed our weaknesses. I don’t see a huge turnaround next season either.

Conclusion - this is maybe a 6-year turnaround with CM only wanting to be here for 3 years. Over these past 4 weeks, Reality has setted in and it’s DEPRESSING.
SoCal_Pony

Next

Return to Football