PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tell me what you see?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Tell me what you see?

Postby Mexmustang » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:25 pm

Still believe Tom Rossley was our best post DP head coach. He also discovered Johnnie Football and got him to A&M.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby 78pony » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:33 pm

footballdad wrote:The players body language, effort, and mindset is a direct reflection of their head coach..............POOR.

Chad had/has 1 foot out the door. Late season losses seem to have ruined his plan. He's sad/mad/pissed that he'll actually have to stay to finish the job.

Highest paid G5 coach in the country...............poor guy!

Based on what I’ve heard over the past 1.5 days, I hate say it, but I have to agree.
78pony
Heisman

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:11 pm

Mexmustang wrote:Still believe Tom Rossley was our best post DP head coach. He also discovered Johnnie Football and got him to A&M.

Johnny even mentioned Coach Rossley in his Heisman Trophy speech.

http://www.theeagle.com/aggie_sports/fo ... 4cf94.html
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:20 pm

Lotsa spin here. From what I gather, our 6-6 record is to be celebrated. Party on and Pony up!
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:49 pm

Then how about Seth Littrell and Mike Norvell?

Seth is bowls in both years despite mediocre personnel. He's put some good pieces together. Won quite a few close games so maybe some luck involved. Or is it skill to win the close ones?

According to the 247 roster rankings, Memphis had less talent in 2015 than SMU did (i.e., 447 composite vs. 382). Norvell got a great JUCO QB and has further enhanced recruiting and ranking.

Furthermore, in 2015, Scott Frost took over a roster with a 485 rating vs. 447 at SMU at that time. Now there's a 79 point gap in roster rating and 50 spots in the more important rankings.

Again, Chad has done very well. Deserving of the top paid AAC coach? It was quite a rebuilding job and it's pretty close to some big wins like the UCF one at home. A couple big wins and top 25 and the fans will come.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby jpe747 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:18 pm

What? Houston fans have no board of their own? No one wants to visit in Houston? Everyone in Houston rejects you? Whats up with these Houston rejects?
jpe747
Heisman

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:26 pm

Should I change my name to UPPonyFan?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:52 pm

Not necessary, you are more of a mustang fan than most alumni.
mustangxc

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:54 pm

tristatecoog wrote:Seth is bowls in both years despite mediocre personnel. According to the 247 roster rankings, Memphis had less talent in 2015 than SMU did (i.e., 447 composite vs. 382). Norvell got a great JUCO QB and has further enhanced recruiting and ranking. Furthermore, in 2015, Scott Frost took over a roster with a 485 rating vs. 447 at SMU at that time.

interesting info tristatecoog....thank you
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:54 pm

78pony wrote:
footballdad wrote:The players body language, effort, and mindset is a direct reflection of their head coach..............POOR.

Chad had/has 1 foot out the door. Late season losses seem to have ruined his plan. He's sad/mad/pissed that he'll actually have to stay to finish the job.

Based on what I’ve heard over the past 1.5 days, I hate say it, but I have to agree.

And we all know how things went the last time our HC had one foot out the door and had to return...my guess is that Chad will not stop recruiting like Tiki did though. Tiki knew it was his last stop and Chad still has a lot to prove.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jpe747 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:03 pm

The defense is obviously our biggest concern this year. IMO the team has played well. As has been said, the vast majority of us expected 6 maybe 7 wins...that's were we are. Why does the team feel a bit down or despondent? They came close to winning 2 to 4 more games. With a few lucky breaks they could have won more games and had an amazing season...perhaps won the division. They know it could have happened. As bad as you guys think our team is they are good enough to be at the top of the conference.

Problems:
Our biggest problem is stopping the big plays. Cut those gains in half and we have several or more wins this year. The majority of our defensive players either do not have enough experience playing their positions to react quick enough, or are a step or two slower than they needed to be. A step or two makes that much difference on defense. You change that and you have a 8 to 10 game winning record.

What bothers me about next year: We loose our two best receivers on what has become a passing team. Other then that, I think we improve most everywhere else.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby 78pony » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:30 pm

jpe747 wrote:The defense is obviously our biggest concern this year. IMO the team has played well. As has been said, the vast majority of us expected 6 maybe 7 wins...that's were we are. Why does the team feel a bit down or despondent? They came close to winning 2 to 4 more games. With a few lucky breaks they could have won more games and had an amazing season...perhaps won the division. They know it could have happened. As bad as you guys think our team is they are good enough to be at the top of the conference.

Problems:
Our biggest problem is stopping the big plays. Cut those gains in half and we have several or more wins this year. The majority of our defensive players either do not have enough experience playing their positions to react quick enough, or are a step or two slower than they needed to be. A step or two makes that much difference on defense. You change that and you have a 8 to 10 game winning record.

What bothers me about next year: We loose our two best receivers on what has become a passing team. Other then that, I think we improve most everywhere else.

“...close to winning 2-4 more games.” Maybe so, but I seem to remember bonehead plays/gifts from a QB in Cincy and cocky Tulsa WR. Let’s see, hmmm, those were what, one score games?
78pony
Heisman

Postby BUS » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:39 pm

So, as I read about jucos, transfers and other players that we have had.... That brings me back to the scheme we run and the coach that plans the D.

Reality - It does not work. NEXT UP.

The O is good and getting better. It will never be perfect.
The D is woeful and not getting better.

Show the fans, team, nation that SMU is serious and move on the DC quickly.

After to bowl game someone said. OK but why wait. I bet Buddy Wyatt would dial up the power.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:54 pm

grasping for straws on defense but Jordan Ward did register 2 TFL on defense at LB in his first extended minutes. Step up big fella we need some help there
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:31 am

Has your son crapped out at Abilene Christian yet?
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Football