PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

O/U on Morris moving on this week???

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: O/U on Morris moving on this week???

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:06 pm

Most P5 job opening can be called mediocre when they come open. A&M is about .500 in SEC over last 4 years-pretty mediocre. Hasn't won a Championships in decades. Heck even Arkansas has been to several SEC Championships since A&M last won a Division/Championship. UT has been .500 for years now. Even FSU may finish below .500. Florida flew off the rails this year. Oregon dropped off the cliff before hiring Taggert. Rarely does the perfect P5 job come open that isn't rebuilding to some extent. Maybe OU this season. Basically, wherever you are you have 3-4 years to get it done and nobody really cares what your predecessor did. If a team wasn't mediocre they usually wouldn't have fired their last Coach
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:38 pm

I was kind of wondering what happened to this guy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Dodge
One Trick Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:02 pm

Stallion wrote:Most P5 job opening can be called mediocre when they come open. A&M is about .500 in SEC over last 4 years-pretty mediocre. Hasn't won a Championships in decades. Heck even Arkansas has been to several SEC Championships since A&M last won a Division/Championship. UT has been .500 for years now. Even FSU may finish below .500. Florida flew off the rails this year. Oregon dropped off the cliff before hiring Taggert. Rarely does the perfect P5 job come open that isn't rebuilding to some extent. Maybe OU this season. Basically, wherever you are you have 3-4 years to get it done and nobody really cares what your predecessor did. If a team wasn't mediocre they usually wouldn't have fired their last Coach

You can win at aTm and Arkansas easier than Tech. It is easier to recruit at aTm and Arkansas than Tech. Also both Arkansas and aTm have top notch facilities. They are an easier rebuild than Tech imo. Next year if Coach Morris stays and no good jobs open up people will be saying he should stay another year to wait for a better job. I think it is more fans just hoping he stays another year every year. It’s understandable.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:11 pm

Stallion wrote:
JasonB wrote:Ole Miss will get enough sanctions that the job is unworkable. That is why they couldn't get anyone this year and had to settle for the interim coach.

Whenever Chad gets 10 wins at SMU, schools will be willing to fire their coach just to hire Chad. The team is on the upswing, he got his assistants raises last year and a commitment to the IPF this year. He isn't going to a low-level P5 job this year. He will wait for the big jobs to come after him.

Can you cite a source that said the assistants got raises last year? I've heard several posters state that discussions with them indicated that was not true. I've seen statements that Morris' contract was extended-I've never seen any definitive statement of a raise-it sat on his desk for months and months. I've read a lot of talk of some hard-nosed negotiations by SMU representatives with Morris but no discussion of a raise.. Hmm you'd think SMU would want that out there-that he got a fair raise--and yet SMU just said his contract was extended. In fact, we are in Coach Hunting season and I haven't read a single statement of what SMU intends to do to reward Morris and staff for reaching a bowl. You'd think SMU would want that message out there as well

Stallion might be right. Has he officially signed the extension yet?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby lollaperuna » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:22 pm

Stallion wrote:
JasonB wrote:Ole Miss will get enough sanctions that the job is unworkable. That is why they couldn't get anyone this year and had to settle for the interim coach.

Whenever Chad gets 10 wins at SMU, schools will be willing to fire their coach just to hire Chad. The team is on the upswing, he got his assistants raises last year and a commitment to the IPF this year. He isn't going to a low-level P5 job this year. He will wait for the big jobs to come after him.

Can you cite a source that said the assistants got raises last year? I've heard several posters state that discussions with them indicated that was not true. I've seen statements that Morris' contract was extended-I've never seen any definitive statement of a raise-it sat on his desk for months and months. I've read a lot of talk of some hard-nosed negotiations by SMU representatives with Morris but no discussion of a raise.. Hmm you'd think SMU would want that out there-that he got a fair raise--and yet SMU just said his contract was extended. In fact, we are in Coach Hunting season and I haven't read a single statement of what SMU intends to do to reward Morris and staff for reaching a bowl. You'd think SMU would want that message out there as well

A raise or a bonus isn't going to make him not take a P5 job if he wants it.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby Pony81 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:47 pm

Perhaps Chad sees a 2018 team that won’t be better than the current bunch. Perhaps he sees another 7-5 or 6–6 type year with no signature win. Perhaps he knows that 4 years in he might not have that big year that makes him the “marque hire”.
He wants Arkansas, knows A&M wants a proven name, doesn’t want to go to a P5 where he can’t recruit Texas or has no tradition or natural recruiting area.

Chad knows that the longer he’s at SMU the more stale he becomes in the eyes of the quality P5 programs.

He’s worked a small miracle here - we were horrible before he came - but he doesn’t have the big win season or marque wins that a quality P5 can sell to their fans.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby RebStang » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:51 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Okay, name a good job that could come open next year that he might want? Texas is not opening, aTm is not opening, Arkansas is not opening nor is Ole Miss.

I'm holding out hope that someone in the athletic offices comes to their senses.
RebStang
All-American

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Let me explain this to people who don't understand the direction of our talent level. We are getting better every year--and now we get to recruit off a bowl and 7 wins rather than 1, 2 and 5.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:07 pm

I think it is fascinating how many people know exactly what Chad Morris is thinking in his head about SMU and ABC University...

...you guys should brain type our recruits.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby SMU Football Blog » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:59 pm

Coaching searches are not hard to understand. The AD has to sell his pick and his process to boosters and fans. When you fail to understand either, the AD runs a real chance of creating a sh!tshow if the hire is not a home run. That is what happened at Tennessee. Failed to sell the boosters on the process and never got the chance to sell the fanbase because Clay Travis got out in front of it and destroyed Schiano.

Most fanbases believe their opportunity is better than it is (except here, everyone acts like this job sucks). So everyone is prone to disappointment. People buy the idea that so and so is unhappy and will leave X for their school. Jimbo is not going to leave Florida State for A&M. Coaches just don't make that move. Once you are at a place where you have or can reasonably win a national championship, you are not going to leave. There are about 15-20 of those jobs.

If you are a coach and you don't have one of those jobs, you try to get one of those jobs. Generally speaking, any non-P5 job is comparable to one another. No real reason, other than being money-whipped to leave one for another. If you don't have a P5 job, you want one, because more often than not, the money is the same as a top non-P5 job and it is better to have on your resume to get one of the top 15-20 P5 jobs out there. Mainly for one reason: you have the opportunity to pull off major upsets and have signature wins.

That brings us to our friend, Chad. Chad is going to leave sooner or later. He will leave us for a P5 job. He will go anywhere. He believes his personality/style/ability will work anywhere. He will go west or he will go east. Maybe he won't go north, but I wouldn't put it past him.

The problem for AD's as it relates to Chad is the sale. Every fanbase thinks their [deleted] doesn't stink. Everybody thinks Saban would leave 'Bama for their school. But Saban ain't coming so everyone gets their 3rd or 4th choice. How do you sell Chad when Aggie thought they were getting Jimbo?

The problem with Chad is he has one .500+ season and no signature wins. His best win was a victory over Houston a year ago? I think that is hard to overcome.

You have to sell Chad as Facebook before the IPO. Sure, a school could wait on Chad until he is a known commodity, but the opening is now; wait until the next hire and Chad won't be available. Hire Chad and you are getting in early. If Chad were still at Clemson, he'd be in line for a lower P5 gig in all likelihood. You tell the fans that Chad inherited a much worse situation at SMU than whatever they have going on.

There are 2 things that make Chad different than any coach we have had before. First, he understands the first rule of being a good coach or anything else: the job you have is the greatest job in the world up until the day you have a different job. June didn't get this and that is why today he is a pariah in this town even though he did what no one else had done before.

Second, and related to the first, Chad Morris will be the first coach since Ron Meyer to leave SMU in better shape than he found it.

End rambling. More bourbon.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ojaipony » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:33 pm

Hire Larry Brown when Chad bolts. Chucky as OC/HCIW. Bill Cowher as DC.
ojaipony

Postby footballdad » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:18 pm

Pony81 wrote:Perhaps Chad sees a 2018 team that won’t be better than the current bunch. Perhaps he sees another 7-5 or 6–6 type year with no signature win. Perhaps he knows that 4 years in he might not have that big year that makes him the “marque hire”.
He wants Arkansas, knows A&M wants a proven name, doesn’t want to go to a P5 where he can’t recruit Texas or has no tradition or natural recruiting area.

Chad knows that the longer he’s at SMU the more stale he becomes in the eyes of the quality P5 programs.

He’s worked a small miracle here - we were horrible before he came - but he doesn’t have the big win season or marque wins that a quality P5 can sell to their fans.

Exactly. Sutton gone, Lawler gone, Van back, little hope of defense improving much, no chance of beating TCU or Michigan. Morris just may be the Bro Coach of the AAC.....all O, no D.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:18 pm

Pony81 wrote:Perhaps Chad sees a 2018 team that won’t be better than the current bunch. Perhaps he sees another 7-5 or 6–6 type year with no signature win. Perhaps he knows that 4 years in he might not have that big year that makes him the “marque hire”.

Exactly. Sutton gone, Lawler gone, Van back, little hope of defense improving much, no chance of beating TCU or Michigan. Morris just may be the Bro Coach of the AAC.....offensive 'genius'......all O, no D.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:29 pm

Another football genius-SMU Bowl Bound in 2017 after 1-11 worst Offense and Defense in the Country in 2014. I told you exactly what was going to happen, when it was going to happen and how it was going to happen. Stop embarrassing yourself and leave

Stallion

Postby mustangxc » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:38 pm

Humor me Stallion, how many games are we winning in 2018?
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Football