PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

O/U on Morris moving on this week???

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: O/U on Morris moving on this week???

Postby footballdad » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:39 pm

Stallion wrote:Another football genius-SMU Bowl Bound in 2017 after 1-11 worst Offense and Defense in the Country in 2014. I told you exactly what was going to happen, when it was going to happen and how it was going to happen. Stop embarrassing yourself and leave

Says the guy who touted a large number of these defensive recruits that have mostly done nothing since arriving on campus. So next year is the year for the defense right genius? Stop embarrassing yourself with the constant excuses and deflections.

You might want to leave for a while since you spend so many insane hours talking to yourself on this board......day, night and weekend. Your family would probably appreciate it. Haha.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:53 pm

footballdad wrote:
Stallion wrote:Another football genius-SMU Bowl Bound in 2017 after 1-11 worst Offense and Defense in the Country in 2014. I told you exactly what was going to happen, when it was going to happen and how it was going to happen. Stop embarrassing yourself and leave

Says the guy who touted a large number of these defensive recruits that have mostly done nothing since arriving on campus. So next year is the year for the defense right genius? Stop embarrassing yourself with the constant excuses and deflections.

You might want to leave for a while since you spend so many insane hours talking to yourself on this board......day, night and weekend. Your family would probably appreciate it. Haha.

You’ve spent 3.5 years posting almost 2,000 times to troll a fan base of a school that wouldnt offer your son a scholarship. What does that say about you?
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:01 am

Pony81 wrote:Perhaps Chad sees a 2018 team that won’t be better than the current bunch. Perhaps he sees another 7-5 or 6–6 type year with no signature win. Perhaps he knows that 4 years in he might not have that big year that makes him the “marque hire”.
He wants Arkansas, knows A&M wants a proven name, doesn’t want to go to a P5 where he can’t recruit Texas or has no tradition or natural recruiting area.

Chad knows that the longer he’s at SMU the more stale he becomes in the eyes of the quality P5 programs.

He’s worked a small miracle here - we were horrible before he came - but he doesn’t have the big win season or marque wins that a quality P5 can sell to their fans.

By my count we lose 4 starters on offense (Sutton, Brown, Hopkins, Epps) and 4 starters on defense (Lawler, Gentry, Rhone, Lancaster). Sutton and Brown are obviously big losses, but I don’t think we’ll miss much of a beat offensively—Proche and Quinn will still give us a potent receiving corps and the entire stable of RBs will be back. Hopefully Hicks can make the next step and eliminate some of the bonehead throws that have resulted in INTs this year. Still, a 32:9 TD-INT ratio is nothing to scoff at.

Defensively, even losing Lawler we cant be any worse than this year (and could be significantly better with a new DC).
East Coast Mustang

Postby footballdad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:13 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:
footballdad wrote:

You’ve spent 3.5 years posting almost 2,000 times to troll a fan base of a school that wouldnt offer your son a scholarship. What does that say about you?

42751 :lol:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby leopold » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:13 am

footballdad wrote:
Pony81 wrote:Perhaps Chad sees a 2018 team that won’t be better than the current bunch. Perhaps he sees another 7-5 or 6–6 type year with no signature win. Perhaps he knows that 4 years in he might not have that big year that makes him the “marque hire”.
He wants Arkansas, knows A&M wants a proven name, doesn’t want to go to a P5 where he can’t recruit Texas or has no tradition or natural recruiting area.

Chad knows that the longer he’s at SMU the more stale he becomes in the eyes of the quality P5 programs.

He’s worked a small miracle here - we were horrible before he came - but he doesn’t have the big win season or marque wins that a quality P5 can sell to their fans.

Exactly. Sutton gone, Lawler gone, Van back, little hope of defense improving much, no chance of beating TCU or Michigan. Morris just may be the Bro Coach of the AAC.....all O, no D.

That's certainly one way to look at it, and I'm not going to tell you you're entirely wrong.

The other way is to point out that he gets as many as eight starters back on both sides of the ball, including a two year starter at QB and the best skill positions in the conference. He is going to have a transfer LB that could be the solution to the biggest hole in our defense and will start reaping the benefits of an extremely successful redshirt program that will continue to add talent and depth to our team. We should be better as a team next year.

We pick up Michigan but Memphis is going to be decimated by graduation, losing their record setting QB and all of their starting WR's, not to mention possibly the head coach. Plus, we were closer to the Horned Frogs this year and we will be next year, too, and we get them at home.

Morris is sitting pretty for the next year and he knows it. He wants out but realizes his is still a strong hand. He ain't hitting the panic button and neither should we.
Last edited by leopold on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:14 am

Someone mentioned Rutgers earlier. One of my kids was a scholarship athlete there. Incompetent administration, crap facilities, just a hot mess all around. If Morris gets an offer from Rutgers he should run the other way as fast as he can.
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby Pony81 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:26 am

I think Quinn goes pro..... he won’t likely improve his stats next year without Courtland to pull defenders away on double teams .....
when you look at the personnel gains and losses plus adding Michigan - a likely loss - in place of a likely win then its hard to predict an improvement in the W/L column.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:42 am

Pony81 wrote:I think Quinn goes pro..... he won’t likely improve his stats next year without Courtland to pull defenders away on double teams .....
when you look at the personnel gains and losses plus adding Michigan - a likely loss - in place of a likely win then its hard to predict an improvement in the W/L column.

I think it’s more likely Quinn grad transfers (if Chad leaves) than goes pro.
East Coast Mustang

Postby leopold » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:48 am

That's a good point - the development of Quinn certainly offsets some of the loss of Sutton and we'll need him.

Does anybody know if Quinn gets his degree this year or does he need another academic year? Kid says his dream is to become an MMA fighter, not an NFL WR. Seriously - going pro in the NFL ain't going to help him achieve that, even if it does come with a paycheck.

I'm curious to see our conference schedule for next year. I don't know how long the AAC can continue to have multiple teams in the top 25 - I expect some attrition at some point due to losses of coaches, graduation, etc. If we get an advantageous conference schedule we absolutely could compete in the West next year.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:31 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:
Pony81 wrote:I think Quinn goes pro..... he won’t likely improve his stats next year without Courtland to pull defenders away on double teams .....

I think it’s more likely Quinn grad transfers (if Chad leaves) than goes pro.

If he transfers as a grad he will probably not lead the nation in receiving again. And might not do that even if he stayed.. His stock is about as high as it can get now. Would not blame him a bit if he goes pro.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby longbuzzer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:59 am

Quinn looks like an NFL slot receiver with versatility. Can slip outside and run a deep route, run a reverse, punt return (especially for fielding inside the 15), big enough for some specialty team plays, etc.

Half the NFL would be salivating to get him cheap in the third or fourth round.
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

Postby footballdad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:15 pm

leopold wrote:
footballdad wrote:

Exactly. Sutton gone, Lawler gone, Van back, little hope of defense improving much, no chance of beating TCU or Michigan. Morris just may be the Bro Coach of the AAC.....all O, no D.

That's certainly one way to look at it, and I'm not going to tell you you're entirely wrong.

The other way is to point out that he gets as many as eight starters back on both sides of the ball, including a two year starter at QB and the best skill positions in the conference. He is going to have a transfer LB that could be the solution to the biggest hole in our defense and will start reaping the benefits of an extremely successful redshirt program that will continue to add talent and depth to our team. We should be better as a team next year.

We pick up Michigan but Memphis is going to be decimated by graduation, losing their record setting QB and all of their starting WR's, not to mention possibly the head coach. Plus, we were closer to the Horned Frogs this year and we will be next year, too, and we get them at home.

Morris is sitting pretty for the next year and he knows it. He wants out but realizes his is still a strong hand. He ain't hitting the panic button and neither should we.

All true. If Frost and Norvell both leave that will certainly help. I'd say the odds of another 6-7 wins is about the same as the odds for 9 wins.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby AusTxPony » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:09 pm

Home games next year are: Houston*, Navy* and Memphis plus TCU*, Houston Baptist, Cincinnati.
Away: Michigan*, North Texas, UCF*, UConn, Tulsa and Tulane*.
* = tough games to win without a better D.
Looks like about 6-6 without improvement on Defense. If Morris can get the D going, he could hit 8-9 wins. I expect to see a lot out of J. Bell and T. Page next year which could make up loss of Sutton. Hopefully, Hicks can work on his running this off season. But it all starts with the Oline, right Bus? Can those newbies perform and protect?
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby BUS » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:54 pm

I don't have an issue with next years O.

If we get a new DC and pull on some Juco help or even some grad transfer help, we could be much better on D.
8 to 12 yard cushion and you really expect any kind of D-line rush. CRAZY talk.

Depending on size play a 5-2 or 4-3 front. Get the other five to play more up front and delay, stop the timing of pass plays. bump on the line, wrestle a little then run. Might be surprised that the QB might be on his [deleted].
KNOCK THE POOKEY

Means - HIT SOMEBODY. HARD
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:00 pm

Does anybody play the TRUE 5-2 Defense in College anymore?

and I'm not talking about the 3-4 with OLBs moving up to the Line. I'm talking the old TRUE 5-2 we used to see in the 1980s when nobody knew how to spread the field

You can't cover 4 man receiver sets or tackle in space with a 5-2-the speed of the game is too fast these days to have 5 tall and/or bulky guys on the line
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Football