PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

O/U on Morris moving on this week???

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: O/U on Morris moving on this week???

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:13 pm

Les Miles is out there if Jimbo reneges.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Phxfan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:19 pm

mustangxc wrote:I agree, I think Texas A&M will have to settle for Chad. Luckily, Todd Graham is newly unemployed and can build on what Chad started.

FWIW, Don't think Morris leaves this year. If CO opens next year, would seem a good fit. Close to Texas, chance to play in Rose Bowl every year, beautiful city, whats not to like. Todd Graham would not have his heart in it (JJ) at SMU. Would just walk through the steps of coaching. I suspect he needs a yr. off to get over the shock. He thought he was staying at ASU.
Phxfan
All-American

Postby White Helmet » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:03 pm

Phxfan wrote:
mustangxc wrote:I agree, I think Texas A&M will have to settle for Chad. Luckily, Todd Graham is newly unemployed and can build on what Chad started.

FWIW, Don't think Morris leaves this year. If CO opens next year, would seem a good fit. Close to Texas, chance to play in Rose Bowl every year, beautiful city, whats not to like. Todd Graham would not have his heart in it (JJ) at SMU. Would just walk through the steps of coaching. I suspect he needs a yr. off to get over the shock. He thought he was staying at ASU.

How about Graham as DC next year under morris? A reverse Tulsa.
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:06 pm

Colorado is a mid tier arm pit school in the PAC 12.. Good luck having sustained success if he goes there. He just needs to wait on Ole Miss if he does not get Arkansas out aTm.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Phxfan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:40 pm

White Helmet wrote:
Phxfan wrote:

How about Graham as DC next year under morris? A reverse Tulsa.

Have watched ASU for a long time. Graham poured his heart into that job. He really did. Gave $500,000 of his salary to an ASU building project. He did his best. Just don't think he is in a place that would allow him to do well for a while. He honestly thought he would be retained.
Phxfan
All-American

Postby geno » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:00 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Colorado is a mid tier arm pit school in the PAC 12.. Good luck having sustained success if he goes there. He just needs to wait on Ole Miss if he does not get Arkansas out aTm.

Well, Boulder, Colorado, isn't as lovely a city as Dallas, of course, and the Rocky Mountains aren't nearly as attractive as the Texas blacklands, and it HAS been since 1990 the the U of colorado won a national championship in football, and the PAC 12 doesn't have nearly the prestige schools that the AmAthleticConf. has, .... but still and all, it does bear thinking about.
geno
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU21TCU10 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:17 pm

Being that I am not from Dallas, it makes me laugh how many of y’all think Dallas is better than a place like Boulder. Not everyone thinks the Dallas lifestyle is all there is in the world. Dallas is Trying to be LA, but with no mountains/skiing, beach/islands, driveable NAtional Parks, etc. within a few hours etc.
SMU21TCU10
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:20 pm

Ole Miss will get enough sanctions that the job is unworkable. That is why they couldn't get anyone this year and had to settle for the interim coach.

Whenever Chad gets 10 wins at SMU, schools will be willing to fire their coach just to hire Chad. The team is on the upswing, he got his assistants raises last year and a commitment to the IPF this year. He isn't going to a low-level P5 job this year. He will wait for the big jobs to come after him.
JasonB

Postby 03Mustang » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:48 pm

SMU21TCU10 wrote:Being that I am not from Dallas, it makes me laugh how many of y’all think Dallas is better than a place like Boulder. Not everyone thinks the Dallas lifestyle is all there is in the world. Dallas is Trying to be LA, but with no mountains/skiing, beach/islands, driveable NAtional Parks, etc. within a few hours etc.

I'm pretty sure that post was dripping with sarcasm, especially the very last part. :roll:
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:54 pm

JasonB wrote:Ole Miss will get enough sanctions that the job is unworkable. That is why they couldn't get anyone this year and had to settle for the interim coach.

Whenever Chad gets 10 wins at SMU, schools will be willing to fire their coach just to hire Chad. The team is on the upswing, he got his assistants raises last year and a commitment to the IPF this year. He isn't going to a low-level P5 job this year. He will wait for the big jobs to come after him.

Can you cite a source that said the assistants got raises last year? I've heard several posters state that discussions with them indicated that was not true. I've seen statements that Morris' contract was extended-I've never seen any definitive statement of a raise-it sat on his desk for months and months. I've read a lot of talk of some hard-nosed negotiations by SMU representatives with Morris but no discussion of a raise.. Hmm you'd think SMU would want that out there-that he got a fair raise--and yet SMU just said his contract was extended. In fact, we are in Coach Hunting season and I haven't read a single statement of what SMU intends to do to reward Morris and staff for reaching a bowl. You'd think SMU would want that message out there as well
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:00 pm

JasonB wrote:Ole Miss will get enough sanctions that the job is unworkable. That is why they couldn't get anyone this year and had to settle for the interim coach.

Arkansas or aTm, if they want him this year, aren’t low level. Also what high level job will possibly be open next year? As Reedfrawg put it very well in saying most high level jobs will not be open next year?
Last edited by Rebel10 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:21 pm

geno wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Colorado is a mid tier arm pit school in the PAC 12.. Good luck having sustained success if he goes there. He just needs to wait on Ole Miss if he does not get Arkansas out aTm.

Well, Boulder, Colorado, isn't as lovely a city as Dallas, of course, and the Rocky Mountains aren't nearly as attractive as the Texas blacklands, and it HAS been since 1990 the the U of colorado won a national championship in football, and the PAC 12 doesn't have nearly the prestige schools that the AmAthleticConf. has, .... but still and all, it does bear thinking about.

Usually I don't see coaches picking a school to coach because it has nice scenery. If that were the case Saban would not be at Alabama. Colorado while being around nice scenery will probably not get a high level coach to be a contender year in and year out. Also, I was not comparing the PAC 12 to the AAC. Just saying if the Colorado head coach gets fired this year or next I don't think HCCM would want to be trapped in the muck of mediocrity at Colorado. He might as well go ahead and wait for Tech to fire Kingsbury next year if he wants to get caught up in mediocrity.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ReedFrawg » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:39 pm

Rebel10 wrote:

Arkansas or aTm, if they want him this year, aren’t low level. Also what high level job will possibly be open next year? As Reedfrawg put it very well in saying most high level jobs will not be open next year?

Be careful quoting a frawg....it might not end well for you!
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:48 pm

There are major jobs that open up every year around the nation. Impossible to predict that yet.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby sail420s » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:55 pm

geno wrote:

It's not a matter of Colorado/Boulder being a better job/location than SMU/Dallas. The point is, why leave this year for a mediocre job when you can stay one more year, be the top candidate out there, and have your pick. It's not like he's struggling to pay the bills if he stays a little longer. It may not be the top job everyone strives for, but it ain't bad.
sail420s
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football