PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Clemson, OU, Georgia, BAMA in Playoffs

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Clemson, OU, Georgia, BAMA in Playoffs

Postby Stallion » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:37 pm

Ha!Ha! Big 10 left out
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Clemson, OU, Georgia, BAMA in Playoffs

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:41 pm

consolation prize for Big 10 was being ranked 5th & 6th. Clemson probably disappointed having to play Alabama 1st
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:49 pm

I want every conference to get screwed so that we have a true playoff of at least 8 teams including P5 champions, an Access representative and 2 Wild-cards
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby mustangxc » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:53 pm

I would amend that to 8 teams with automatic bids to each of the P5 conference champions 2 G5 teams and a wild card. This year it would be:

1. Clemson v 8. Boise State
2. Oklahoma v 7. UCF
3. Georgia v 6. Alabama
4. Ohio State v 5. USC
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:55 pm

Stallion wrote:I want every conference to get screwed so that we have a true playoff of at least 8 teams including P5 champions, an Access representative and 2 Wild-cards

That's what I'm hoping for down the road. Only chance for G5 teams to compete. That's why I love March Madness.
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:14 pm

we'd be lucky to get 1 Access representative much less 2. In fact, they'd probably only gives us 1 if we were in top 8 and then make sure the G5 teams finished no higher than No. 10. I was being a bit "optimistic" to include 1 automatic Access representative

Stallion

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:23 pm

College “playoffs” are such a joke. They need to expand access
(Ability) to all conferences. Sick of P5 exclusionary crap.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:37 pm

All the “experts” say for G5 to forget about the current playoff and start their own.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:13 pm

Did they really say that? Wow.. they really want to make G5 the new FCS which would kill any excitement for those teams.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:21 pm

it would kill recruiting-which would make G5 teams weaker. I'm sure it would be exciting just like winning the NIT-just like the FCS playoffs are exciting. But it would stigmatize the G5 as a second division when in fact when given a chance schools not in a power conference have proven repeatedly that they can win on the Big Stage-UH, TCU (multiple), Boise St. (multiple), UCF, Utah (multiple) and further back Louisville, BYU. Generally, proving it on the field is the avenue schools have utilized to step-up to the P5--so its important.
Last edited by Stallion on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stallion

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:27 pm

Hopefully Aresco and company can continue to lobby. I guess some people find FCS fun but I haven’t watched that tournamanent in my entire life like I would imagine most people would do to us on new FCS level. My hope is the CFP rating goes down really quick because of this exclusionary practices.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:31 pm

But you cannot get there as witnessed by UCF this year. P5 will never let us be included. One commentator said the G5 was the equivalent of sitting at the card table kids table at Thanksgiving. You get a smile and pat on the head and that is all. We could beat 4 P5 teams nonconference and still would not make it because the other 8 games are all G5 “lesser level” teams.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:40 pm

It’s definitely a shame. Other than serious lobbying and trying to encourage fan bases to getting more vocal and always winning the NY6 bowl, there’s not much else we can do.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:44 pm

mrydel wrote:But you cannot get there as witnessed by UCF this year. P5 will never let us be included. One commentator said the G5 was the equivalent of sitting at the card table kids table at Thanksgiving. You get a smile and pat on the head and that is all. We could beat 4 P5 teams nonconference and still would not make it because the other 8 games are all G5 “lesser level” teams.

Yes but UCF's best OOC win was against Illinois, right? They beat #20 Memphis by seven at home and barely beat a top 25 USF at home as well. They won all their games but they're certainly not deserving of a top four rating. If UH had run the table last year, they may have sniffed the top four. They were ranked #6 before losing at Navy. The key was being ranked highly coming into the season and winning one or two highly regarded OOC games. If an AAC team is highly ranked coming into the year, they were fortunate to still have the same coach as the previous year.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:11 pm

Only was a G5 team sniffs the Final Four would be for someone to have a NFL caliber QB and go undefeated 2-3 years in a row. Not sure the 2nd season would qualify but a 3rd straight undefeated season, assuming it included wins against P5 teams in non-conference play, would make it tough for the committee to ignore them. UCF is likely to get hammered in their bowl game, especially with the coaching change
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Football