PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who do you want as SMU's next head coach?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Who do you want as SMU's next head coach?

Blake Anderson (Ark St)
10%
Mack Brown
7%
Lane Kiffin (FAU)
28%
Seth Littrell (NTSU)
7%
Kevin Sumlin
39%
Frank Wilson (UTSA)
10%

Total votes : 83

Re: Who do you want as SMU's next head coach?

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:40 pm

How about pairing 53 year old Todd Graham as Head Coach and 32 year old Graham Harrell as Offensive Coordinator together. Bet Todd Graham knows his father Sam Harrell well. Oh look they both have Graham in their names. Graham Harrell former TT All-American QB, Heisman Finalist, Johnny Unitas and Sammy Baugh winner, NFL, CFL, Mike Leach, Gundy, Littrell background.

* My suspicion confirmed-Graham Harrell's brother Clark Harrell played for Todd Graham at Tulsa who transferred out for playing time at lower Division. That opened the door for SMU grad assistant G.J. Kinne at Tulsa. Kinne also the scion of a TXHSFB Coach. Funny how these coaching families are inter-related. We could then promote G.J. Kinne to QB Coach

*Tulsa QB Harrell to transfer; Texas-ex QB Kinne joins Tulsa
Tulsa coach Todd Graham announced Wednesday that sophomore quarterback Clark Harrell of Ennis has decided to transfer.
Harrell informed Graham of his decision early Wednesday, according to a Tulsa athletics department statement, and indicated he would most likely transfer to an NCAA Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) or Division II school so that he would be eligible to play this fall without having to sit out a year.
Harrell is the son of Ennis football coach Sam Harrell and the younger brother of Texas Tech senior starting quarterback Graham Harrell.
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby papawasamustang » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:42 pm

sbsmith wrote:
papawasamustang wrote:No-brainer, Kevin Sumlin. Did a great job in the toughest conference in the country.

Aggy fans would disagree about him doing a great job.

I have a buddy who played football @ A&M, very well connected to the program. He told me Sumlin is very well liked & respected. Said he's a very good coach.

Its such a tough gig. Not sure Jimbo is going to do any better.

Sumlin knew going into the season the magic # was 10 W's. The UCLA game was a killer, & you have to beat both the Mississippi's every season to have a chance, because the rest of the conference schedule is so brutal.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby ericdickerson4life » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:47 pm

Damn, you're all over Todd Orlando. He your best friend or something?

I hope I hear more names than Todd Orlando or Jeff Traylor. I would think we would be very interesting to a Sumlin (and no I don't care if he leaves after providing a 8-4, 9-3 season) or Les Miles or hell Jason Candle.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby ericdickerson4life » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:51 pm

I think Todd Graham would be good. I hear he is a monster [deleted] and I would be worried he'd bail on us for a lateral move, not just an upward move to a P5, ala Rice to Tulsa. If he stayed he any time at all I think he'd be great for us.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby sbsmith » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:00 pm

papawasamustang wrote:
I have a buddy who played football @ A&M, very well connected to the program. He told me Sumlin is very well liked & respected. Said he's a very good coach.

Its such a tough gig. Not sure Jimbo is going to do any better.

Sumlin knew going into the season the magic # was 10 W's. The UCLA game was a killer, & you have to beat both the Mississippi's every season to have a chance, because the rest of the conference schedule is so brutal.

That all seems fairly reasonable.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby mustangxc » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:02 pm

I don't think he would leave for a lateral job because as opposed to Rice we actually pay top dollar relative to our peers.
mustangxc

Postby ponypatrick » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:08 pm

mrydel wrote:When someone I know and trust says “they don’t keep their word” I do not take the call. Now I do not know if that is true, but I would guess Venables has plenty of options that would not have that issue if it does exist.

Can't we stop making President Turner and the AD the fall guys.........this is absurd !
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:50 pm

I have the utmost faith in Rick and Turner. Probably more than most. But I also deal in truth.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SMU1523 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:05 pm

I understand whoever we hire, he will one day leave (even if he goes 14-22, which in my book is not successful). Therefore I want a Coach that can get us to a NYD Bowl, like Herman or Frost, even if they are only here for two seasons. If UH and UCF can do it, then we should be able to as well. I don't care who it is, I just want somebody that can give us a legit exciting season, even if it is short lived. I think Kiffin would give us a good shot.
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:14 pm

Most important factor in this Job search for me is which Coach is going to commit to wearing the Blue Jersey. Everybody else is immediately eliminated
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Jeff Traylor for SMU's next head coach

Postby Sam I Am » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:54 pm

Jeff Traylor coached the McCown boys as quarterbacks at Jacksonville High. Two of them became NFL quarterbacks. He won Texas state high school championship at Gilmer. He is the QB whisperer and an offensive geniuis. SMU would be lucky to hire him with his UIL recruiting. connections.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:59 pm

I prefer a dynamic personality for HC but needs to be a guy with a great network of assistants. Need a staff that will work as hard as Chad's group recruiting.
Charleston Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:25 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I prefer a dynamic personality for HC but needs to be a guy with a great network of assistants. Need a staff that will work as hard as Chad's group recruiting.

There's only one Dynamic personality
Allowed
One Trick Pony

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:35 pm

Traylor also Coached G.J. Kinne at Gilmer who went on to be CUSA Player of the Year and the NFL after transferring to Tulsa under Graham and ran Morris' offense while Morris was Co-Offensive Coordinator at Tulsa under Graham. So makes sense he may jump from a off-field staff position at SMU to perhaps QB Coach at SMU if his high school Coach or even Graham are selected Head Coach or Offensive Coordinator

Stallion

Postby Pony81 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:14 pm

While Sumlin, Miles, and Graham are very good coaches - they are a terrible fit for SMU. They have played in front of packed stadiums, had their schedules crowded with media interviews ..... to come to SMU and hear crickets would have them asking “ what am I doing here” just like JJ. When the fans didn’t come streaming into the stadium JJ quit and tried to go to ASU ..... when they bailed he realized the world had moved on and he retired in place .

Once they’ve seen Paris it’s hard to get them back on the farm ...

Let’s find the best up and comer $2 million/ yr. can buy.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football