PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who do you want as SMU's next head coach?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Who do you want as SMU's next head coach?

Blake Anderson (Ark St)
10%
Mack Brown
7%
Lane Kiffin (FAU)
28%
Seth Littrell (NTSU)
7%
Kevin Sumlin
39%
Frank Wilson (UTSA)
10%

Total votes : 83

Re: Who do you want as SMU's next head coach?

Postby ericdickerson4life » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:56 am

It does say that the search director is "recommending several external candidates as well" so I take that as the candidates have been identified and hopefully contacted. I'm actually glad this has been pretty quiet so far. It's only been a couple of days and we don't need a fiasco like Tennessee. Notice they had tons of names being thrown around, several public rejections and labeled a disaster of a search until Fulmer took over and then things went quiet for about a week before they landed their guy. I know everyone wants the best guy and wants him now but these things do take a little time even when you have prepared for the situation beforehand. When our search goes beyond one week after Chad without any real names out there, I will be concerned. Maybe I'm an optimist though.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:04 pm

will be a fast search from what I have heard. Maybe even results within 48 hours.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Alaric » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:19 pm

One of the Sonny's...Sonny Cumbie or Sonny Dykes.

The insider Tech people I know loved Sonny Cumbie, great x's & o's, great recruiter...think he had a few too many disagreements with Kliff Kingsbury while he was there
Alaric
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:22 pm

Hey Skyscraper. Can you replace non-candidate Seth with Todd Orlando? :D
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:23 pm

Pee-wee Herman Would be a good fit
One Trick Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:25 pm

JasonB wrote:Orlando is super intense. I think his mindset would fit with the culture Chad was building. Orlando HC and Traylor OC would be a nice combo to start with. Only challenge with Traylor at OC is that he doesn't have assistants to bring with him, he would have to fill a staff from scratch.

The assistants are what make or break this hire. Morris had contacts, but his entire offensive staff could really coach and recruit well.

I thought you liked old retread coaches. Anyway, if we did get Orlando I would want him to pick his staff and not have Traylor forced on hiim when he might have another coach he wants. Same if Traylor gets the HC job, he should have the freedom to pick who he wants.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
JasonB wrote:Orlando is super intense. I think his mindset would fit with the culture Chad was building. Orlando HC and Traylor OC would be a nice combo to start with. Only challenge with Traylor at OC is that he doesn't have assistants to bring with him, he would have to fill a staff from scratch.

The assistants are what make or break this hire. Morris had contacts, but his entire offensive staff could really coach and recruit well.

I thought you liked old retread coaches. Anyway, if we did get Orlando I would want him to pick his staff and not have Traylor forced on hiim when he might have another coach he wants. Same if Traylor gets the HC job, he should have the freedom to pick who he wants.

That's true and probably is going to happen. The two should definitely meet and see if it can work especially have the team has rallied around him. Traylor has his audition on the 20th to show if he can keep our offense rolling.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Thinking outside of the box, coaches who win at places that have recruiting issues. Mark Mangino (if he's still alive) was the last winning coach at Kansas. What about the North Dakota State coach who seems to produce great passing offenses, Chris Klieman? Navy Coach Ken Numitouolo (sp?). I think they'll be a bit of a bidding war for Anderson and Brown. Graham might not be the worst choice and might pull at Patterson and stay awhile. Obviously D1 Coordinators at successful programs like LSU, Alabama, USC, TCU, OU should be looked at as well.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby jimhagle » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:59 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

That's true and probably is going to happen. The two should definitely meet and see if it can work especially have the team has rallied around him. Traylor has his audition on the 20th to show if he can keep our offense rolling.

Pretty sure we'll have our coach in place by the 20th
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:07 pm

Interesting factoid from Arkansas radio. A local talk DJ was at the press conference today and was asked if any other coaches were there. He said there were about 4 and that he recognized Jeff Traylor, who he knew from his days as a east Texas FB coach. Is it not odd that Traylor is at the Chad presser if he is running the team and considered for our head coaching position? Seems like he is gone too.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:58 pm

Fwiw smu doesn't have practice today
RGV Pony

Postby mustangxc » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:05 pm

Big recruiting weekend was cancelled too!
mustangxc

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:08 pm

RGV Pony wrote:Fwiw smu doesn't have practice today

Does it not seem odd for Traylor to be in Fayetteville?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby redpony » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:10 pm

maybe he was asking chad for the playbook so he could get our boys ready for the bowl game. :)
redpony

Postby longbuzzer » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:57 pm

I heard a football coach recently say, I paraphrase, "This sport is not about the coaches, it is about these kids, and how important their lives are. If these kids don't improve in their studies and life skills, it doesn't matter much about football skills."

Now if the coach can find another bunch of kids, recruit more kids with more stars, and get a leap in pay from 2 to 3.5 mil per year, those kids are even more special.
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football