PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Coaching Football at SMU is an Attractive Job

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Coaching Football at SMU is an Attractive Job

Postby HireSabin78 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:20 pm

Rebel10 wrote:The only coach that would agree to a 50 million dollar buyout is a coach that isn’t any good imo. Sure SMU could hire a high school,position coach that would agree to that but we would probably not have a very good team and it would cost whatever the buyout is to fire him which would be 50 million.

Wrong. You see, SMU has what is called leverage (i.e. $2,000,000) not the high school coach. Hence, SMU would contract to have zero penalty in the contract if SMU decided to fire the coach but could have a buyout penalty for the coach if he decides to leave. There is such a thing called a one sided contract. They used to be in vogue back in the day. Why would SMU not want a one sided contract if it's a possibility to have one (which it is)? Does SMU have some ethical duty I am unaware of to look out for the other party? Moreover, it's not like there are only 5 CMs in the making out there that we could sign if we wanted to go the CM Part 2 route. My favorite though is when SMU goes the "lets pay an outside firm to figure out who our next coach should be route and how much we should pay them". That's the ultimate waste. SMU is run worse than a government agency.

Lastly, the word is SMU is going to spend a truck load of money on an indoor facility etc.... Why not just use that money instead to hire are ridiculous splash type coach (not June Jones Circa 2008 level but like 4 levels up). Seems obvious we would get a much better return on investment going that route.
HireSabin78
Recruit

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:27 pm

Who wants to hire a high school Coach. Chad Morris was the highest paid Coordinator in College Football. He was probably a fool to consider SMU. We didn't have much leverage on him and I hope we don't hire someone we have too much leverage over. I want a good Coach-one that has options.

My head hurts
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:28 pm

Stallion wrote:Who wants to hire a high school Coach. Chad Morris was the highest paid Coordinator in College Football. He was probably a foot to consider SMU. We didn't have much leverage on him and I hope we don't hire someone we had that kind of leverage over. I want a good Coach

My head hurts

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:08 pm

Stallion wrote:Who wants to hire a high school Coach. Chad Morris was the highest paid Coordinator in College Football. He was probably a fool to consider SMU. We didn't have much leverage on him and I hope we don't hire someone we have too much leverage over. I want a good Coach-one that has options.

My head hurts

A fool to consider SMU?? Hell, turns out it was a genius move! SMU made him the highest paid coach in G5. In return he barely squeaked out 1 bowl game in his 3rd season, fielded some of the worst defenses in college football..........and somehow parlayed 7 wins into an SEC head coaching gig.

Looks like his brief SMU stint was the smartest thing he's ever done. Bravo Mr. Morris......Bravo.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby HireSabin78 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:15 pm

We had tons of leverage over Chad Morris. Clemson was doing the same it had basically done during his tenure that it had done for the previous decade prior to CM's arrival at Clemson - which was season after season of close but no cigar. Look, I hope we don't go the high school route but I am sure the "outside firm" we contract to do what a good AD should be capable of doing on his own, I am sure is going to take another shot at that CM formula as it's the safest and cheapest route. 100% guarantee our next HC is a guy 99% of SMU alumni say "who is that?" when they get the ESPN notification on their phone of the hire. So depressing.
HireSabin78
Recruit

Postby footballdad » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:24 pm

HireSabin78 wrote:We had tons of leverage over Chad Morris. Clemson was doing the same it had basically done during his tenure that it had done for the previous decade prior to CM's arrival at Clemson - which was season after season of close but no cigar. Look, I hope we don't go the high school route but I am sure the "outside firm" we contract to do what a good AD should be capable of doing on his own, I am sure is going to take another shot at that CM formula as it's the safest and cheapest route. 100% guarantee our next HC is a guy 99% of SMU alumni say "who is that?" when they get the ESPN notification on their phone of the hire. So depressing.

The 'CM formula' was the most expensive, certainly not the cheapest. Had to make the highest paid P5 coordinator, the highest paid G5 coach.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Boston Pony » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:29 pm

Big disagreement that next coach is a nobody, unless you don't follow college football. I'd look at coaches that are either top coordinators or HC at CUSA schools. Either way, they'll have Texas roots for recruiting. Right now SMU has a winning record, a lot of players coming back, in a recruiting hotbed, and willing resources at the top of the G5. I've been impressed with recent coaching hires and figure this will be much the same.
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby Treadway21 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:30 pm

mavsrage311 wrote:"HireSabin" is back. Good times on pony fans.

Yet folks still respond. Memories are short.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby redpony » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:35 pm

Treadway21 wrote: . Memories are short.

only thing shorter is the tenure of SMU fball coaches. :)
redpony

Postby HireSabin78 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:52 pm

CM was only expensive because we had Santa Claus negotiating on our behalf.
HireSabin78
Recruit

Previous

Return to Football