PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

So we do we lose all of the 18 commits too?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: So we do we lose all of the 18 commits too?

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:52 pm

Charleston Pony wrote: Biggest concern is that he will take all of our best assistants and impact that might have on this class.

Charleston...dont most new coaching regimes replace
like 90% of the previous regime assistant coaches?
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:02 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote: Biggest concern is that he will take all of our best assistants and impact that might have on this class.

At least. I just hope there is someone on this staff who can help keep this class together and will be retained by the next HC.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mavsrage311 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:11 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:

At least. I just hope there is someone on this staff who can help keep this class together and will be retained by the next HC.

There’s almost Always one leftover kept too. Even if it’s just someone on the opps side of things.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:30 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I just hope there is someone on this staff who can help keep this class together and will be retained by the next HC.

agreed Charleston!

drip drip drip

C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:For those who are concerned about recruits, I highly recommend following on twitter: @NikkiChavanelle. She's reporting on recruits who are staying or no commenting:

So far:

1) QB Commit Brown1Will - "100% committed to SMU and congrats to Coach Morris"

Chad Morris is taking Coach Stepp (WR) with him which most likely Mike Woods is gone.

2) Friendswood G (Maxyar1172) will look to SMU as being his school but not 100% it sounds like.

3) Saints Safety (JCrispress) is 100 committed to SMU

4) Angleton RB (twilliams) is sticking with SMU

5) Cam Phillips 25 (Safety) is staying per twitter.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby papawasamustang » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:56 am

I posted on the recruiting forum about a kid @ Denton High School that plays OL.
His name is Brandon Coleman. He's a 6'5" 260 lb. athletic beast that plays the post for their HS basketball team. I was told he is going to SMU. Hope the change doesn't sway his decision.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:31 am

We just have to hope that in this day and age, most kids are making their decisions to attend a certain school based on what the school has to offer them and the chemistry they feel with their future teammates...if they don't know coaching staffs are subject to leaving at any time, they haven't been paying attention.
Charleston Pony

Postby geno » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:58 am

Charleston Pony wrote:We just have to hope that in this day and age, most kids are making their decisions to attend a certain school based on what the school has to offer them and the chemistry they feel with their future teammates...if they don't know coaching staffs are subject to leaving at any time, they haven't been paying attention.

Dream on, Charleston, dream on.
geno
Junior Varsity

Postby Maryland78 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:15 am

I've always expected and been ok with Morris moving on...most of us realistically would all look hard at a bigger payday and better opportunity.

However, when a coach leaves and then steals all his previous schools best recruits, then you move into the selfish, egotistical, conniving, lying, unethical, self-centered, ungenerous, deceitful, two-faced, disreputable, untrustworthy, bast..d, sleezebag category!! I guess we all know what kind of person Chad Morris is now.

If I was Hart, I would have put it in Morris's contract that he couldn't take any recruits from SMU or pay a big, big penalty. Or at least put his word on it...so everyone would know what kind of person he is!
Maryland78
Junior Varsity

Postby sbsmith » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:41 am

Maryland78 wrote:
If I was Hart, I would have put it in Morris's contract that he couldn't take any recruits from SMU or pay a big, big penalty. Or at least put his word on it...so everyone would know what kind of person he is!

No coach worth a damn would have signed a contract like that. Recruits are fair game until they sign on the dotted line.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Maryland78 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:48 am

No Man worth a damn would try to destroy the team that gave him his new opportunity in the first place! That's my point!
Maryland78
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:54 am

You can't deny the athlete an opportunity to play for the coach he wants to play for. That's why I hope the majority of these kids feel good enough about SMU and their future teammates to stick with their commitments. I guess we will find out at the early signing date which kids feel that way.
Charleston Pony

Postby sbsmith » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:56 am

Maryland78 wrote:No Man worth a damn would try to destroy the team that gave him his new opportunity in the first place! That's my point!

Taking recruits isn't destroying the team since those recruits aren't even officially on the team yet. Chad developed relationships with those recruits so if he thinks they can help him then it's well within his rights to recruit them to his new gig. Even if Chad doesn't want them it's not like they're guaranteed to sign here anyway.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby mrydel » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:07 am

It is the recruits decision, not the coach.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mustangxc » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:11 am

Still pretty low to target your former school’s top commitments even if it is the norm; especially given that those are the first recruits he is going after. They are all mercenaries.
Last edited by mustangxc on Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Football