PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Well I’m not buying season tickets anymore...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Well I’m not buying season tickets anymore...

Postby ponypatrick » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:47 pm

BIGHORSE wrote:I support the team, not a man that is just here for his check.

that man is on his way out.............don't let the door hit you in the [deleted] Chadie !
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby SMU Football Blog » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:54 pm

Texasscout96 wrote:I ‘m out.

With all do respect, you are fudging pu$$y.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:57 pm

SMU Football Blog wrote:

exactly. if you can't handle a bump in the road you are following the wrong program.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:06 pm

If you can’t handle another kick in the nads after following one of the losing-est programs this past quarter century, you are an absolute wimp. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out!

Seriously? Anyone that continues to follow the Mustangs after all this time is a die-hard with the best of them.
SMUer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:08 pm

SMUer wrote:If you can’t handle another kick in the nads after following one of the losing-est programs this past quarter century, you are an absolute wimp. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out!

Seriously? Anyone that continues to follow the Mustangs after all this time is a die-hard with the best of them.

I’m an alumni, hats off to those who continue to follow us and are not.
SoCal_Pony

Postby PonyTime » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:17 pm

gostangs wrote:
SMU Football Blog wrote:

exactly. if you can't handle a bump in the road you are following the wrong program.

And this guy formerly worked for the Athletic Department at SMU...
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:18 pm

SMU Football Blog wrote:

https://youtu.be/Af-Id_fuXFA
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby SMU Football Blog » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:31 pm

Look it is very simple. Chad was going to leave eventually. I wish it was another year or two away. But it is happening now.

Chad is the first coach since Meyer (RIP) to leave SMU in a better way than how he found it.

Chad isn't going to be our Gary Patterson. Not sure any school can have a Gary Patterson again. Times are different. The money is substantially different. The difference between the P5 and the G5 is different and more pronounced than it used to be. Stallion suggests we could have been more proactive and maybe that is true, but I personally don't think it would have made a difference unless SMU was prepared to grossly overpay given that Chad was already overpaid relative to the job he had.

Maybe Chad is our Dennis Francionne. Maybe the next guy is our Gary Patterson.

But to harbor ill will toward either Chad or the administration is a mistake, IMO.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:47 pm

We are not powerful enough to pay a coach more than $2 million/season. If we are then why in the world do we not have an IPF already. Truthfully, we overpaid to get Chad here in the first place. In retrospect was it smart, probably. He was probably a better fit at SMU than Hermann and Montgomery, but all three ended up being successful at their schools this season not withstanding for Montgomery at Tulsa. I think it is in our best interest to lure a coach that can keep building on what Chad Morris was doing for us and continue to invest in our facilities, which will still be here whenever the next coach jumps ship. There are several potentially solid hires that would be moving up in coming to SMU without us having to break the bank. Let's be sensible and just continue to build. Once we do have our Tom Hermann and Scott Frost, then I think it may be wise to try to match P5s on salary but not yet.
mustangxc

Postby Pony81 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:51 pm

Glad to see an SMU coach leave for a better job... as Rick Hart has said .... this is a good thing. Sure beats the JJ, Bennett, Cavan, Rosley, Gregg alternative.

Believe me.... when the Big 12 GOR expires, and the media contract renewals are a big step down from the last one, and expenses are up ( looks like the going rate for a top coach is now $7 mil / year) the Texas will head to the PAC 12 to get quality opponents to fill their 100K+ stadium and OU will head to the SEC / BIG to do the same.
We will wind up in the same league as TCU and the $ difference will be much, much smaller.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:55 pm

These salaries aren't being paid by the universities-they are being paid by donations from alumni and athletic foundations that support the universities
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby skyscraper » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:58 pm

I just don't get why this is the straw that broke the camels back. An odd time to throw your hands up and walk away.
skyscraper

Postby 78pony » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:10 am

Pony81 wrote:Glad to see an SMU coach leave for a better job... as Rick Hart has said .... this is a good thing. Sure beats the JJ, Bennett, Cavan, Rosley, Gregg alternative.

Believe me.... when the Big 12 GOR expires, and the media contract renewals are a big step down from the last one, and expenses are up ( looks like the going rate for a top coach is now $7 mil / year) the Texas will head to the PAC 12 to get quality opponents to fill their 100K+ stadium and OU will head to the SEC / BIG to do the same.
We will wind up in the same league as TCU and the $ difference will be much, much smaller.

I love the optimism! And P5 or Gwhatever, I’ll be there. Because it’s what I do and what I am. But I hate to inform you that our shot at P5 left the station some time ago. We are relegated to stepping stone and I honestly don’t think our money folks think differently. They aren’t stupid. We got caught with an administration and BoT that didn’t get what tcu got and they enjoyed laughing at these guys spending tons of money - until - the light went on. And it was basically too late. Argue, disagree, whine - whatever you want - the train left the station. It’s gone. It’s not coming back - as that train.
78pony
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:10 am

Stallion wrote:These salaries aren't being paid by the universities-they are being paid by donations from alumni and athletic foundations that support the universities

Public universities dont pay for salaries or team related expenses? That seems strange.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyinNC » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:13 am

Let's be honest with ourselves. I think we all hoped Chad would do bigger things here, but we also all knew he was eventually leaving for another program, although most thought TAMU, not Arkie.

He is a great recruiter, and a great offensive mind. But with a team than included future #1 pick Courtland Sutton and all-everything Trey Quinn, we squeaked to seven wins with a very weak schedule that was set up for us to get to a bowl. UNT, SFA, Ark St? Easily could have been 6-6 and possibly 5-7.

Our D has been atrocious every year. We haven't won a big game except for last year against UH. Chad was learning on the job at SMU and it showed. He was never able to secure a QB commit that would be our D Watson...those late decommitments from Brewer and Moore really hurt.

I appreciate his work here, and thought with another 2 years we could really build something. But he is not Nick Saban.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football