PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who is our Larry Brown hire?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Who is our Larry Brown hire?

Postby Mountain Mustang » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:20 am

He's in Gainesville in some official capacity. Not AD and not coaching. He's who i initially came up with when thinking about the scenario, but it sounds like he's pretty entrenched at UF.
Here's to those that wish us well and all the rest can go to hell!!!
Mountain Mustang
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:47 am

I am sure Houston Nutt had his resume on speed dial fax.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:52 am

please spare us from the Mack brown posts. He was out of it for the last three years of his coaching, and now out of it for another 3-4 years. Might as well say Bobby Collins.
gostangs

Postby Comet » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:54 am

Bill Parcells!
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy101 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:57 am

1) Les miles, 141-55 overall record. we should at least contact him and see if he's interested. probably be one of the biggest splashes in this coaching carousel. If somehow we get get him I guarantee you we will have more fan/alumni/student support than at any time that chad was here, also would make the defense 3x better.

2) Art Briles, 99-65 overall record. It would not look very good for the university and I actually don't recommend this hire. But if we wanna win football games this could be the guy. we all know how good Baylor was before all the bad stuff went down. in 2013 and 2014 he led the bears to 11-2, getting them as high as the number 3 team in the nation at one point. but I don't think alumni would support the hiring, but I can guarantee he would win us football games with the talent we already have in place.

3) Seth Littrel, 14-11 overall record. I don't know if he would leave UNT for another group of 5 job, but a still think we should contact him. Unlike the 2 guys I mentioned above, Seth is 39 with means he is very young and from what it looks like has a very promising future as a head coach. He would be able to keep our offense going at an elite level, defensively we would still be bottom half of the nation unfortunately. And if he has enough success and loves SMU we could have him for 25-30+ years. but very unlikely if a P5 school come offering. I doubt he would leave UNT for SMU but who knows. I bet we could pay a lot more..
ponyboy101
Recruit

Postby JasonB » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:59 am

Stallion wrote:It was set up for Craddock but he's only about 32 right now-needed 2 more years of success to make it a realistic option

Craddock will be a head coach sooner rather than later. Hire someone old and hold on to him as HCIW?
JasonB

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:02 pm

ponyboy101 wrote:1) Les miles, 141-55 overall record. we should at least contact him and see if he's interested. probably be one of the biggest splashes in this coaching carousel. If somehow we get get him I guarantee you we will have more fan/alumni/student support than at any time that chad was here, also would make the defense 3x better.

2) Art Briles, 99-65 overall record. It would not look very good for the university and I actually don't recommend this hire. But if we wanna win football games this could be the guy. we all know how good Baylor was before all the bad stuff went down. in 2013 and 2014 he led the bears to 11-2, getting them as high as the number 3 team in the nation at one point. but I don't think alumni would support the hiring, but I can guarantee he would win us football games with the talent we already have in place.

3) Seth Littrel, 14-11 overall record. I don't know if he would leave UNT for another group of 5 job, but a still think we should contact him. Unlike the 2 guys I mentioned above, Seth is 39 with means he is very young and from what it looks like has a very promising future as a head coach. He would be able to keep our offense going at an elite level, defensively we would still be bottom half of the nation unfortunately. And if he has enough success and loves SMU we could have him for 25-30+ years. but very unlikely if a P5 school come offering. I doubt he would leave UNT for SMU but who knows. I bet we could pay a lot more..

First point seems good but the other two I would argue against.
2nd point: The OC for Ohio St. trying to go to Tenn caused a major uproar for being a coach affiliated with Penn St. during Sandusky, right? Can you imagine if your the coach that allowed all the rapes to happen at Baylor coming to SMU. He's tainted goods and it would cause a major controversy that SMU is best to stay clear from.
Third point, I wouldn't ever take UNT goods. Easy conference and could never beat us. It's not worth taking a step down.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:03 pm

JasonB wrote:
Craddock will be a head coach sooner rather than later. Hire someone old and hold on to him as HCIW?

good idea plus it doesn't look like c.m. is taking him to arky.
redpony

Who is our Larry Brown hire?

Postby oilpony » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:06 pm

redpony wrote:
JasonB wrote:

good idea plus it doesn't look like c.m. is taking him to arky.
is he taking Van? lol
oilpony
All-American

Postby redpony » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:07 pm

c.m. no longer has a van.
redpony

Postby redpony » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:10 pm

dumb question for stallion or anybody else in the know. Do our other coaches have a yr-to-yr contract? and do they also have buyouts?
What was c.m.s buy out? and when does arky have to pay it?
redpony

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:53 pm

Art Briles has 0% shot at the SMU job
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:01 pm

Stallion wrote:Art Briles has 0% shot at the SMU job

Amen. No Way in hell.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Art is the perfect fit for SMU there's never been a %€%# conviction on campus since 1911
One Trick Pony

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Any of these three in my opinion would be a great hire for SMU:

Mack Brown (more like a "Larry Brown hire" & would stay put)
Kevin Sumlin
Todd Graham

Wouldn't upset me to see:
Les Miles
Willie Fritz
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football