PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sell me on Jeff Traylor

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sell me on Jeff Traylor

Postby redpony » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:38 pm

traylor as our next h.c. would be a complete downgrade. We need a top level coach. If he is older then find a young upcoming coach who could be the hciw.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:41 pm

Each of our last 3 head coaches had much better resumes than Jeff Traylor does at this juncture. I would be stunned to see us hire Traylor. I can see him staying on as OC but not HC.
mustangxc

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:52 pm

Make him OC and get Todd Orlando. So far I haven't seen a better recommendation that would make all parties happy (fans + players). Also I hope SMU doesn't put the full salary on Todd. Maybe agree to $1.8m and use the reserves to find a recruiter. Sadly, we've shown everyone that we are the $2.2m school with maybe a 10% bump if you do well.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:20 pm

I think he'd be a perfect head coach down the road, especially if he's willing to stay here and not jump at the first chance.

But right now, I'd much prefer him stay on as OC.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Sam I Am » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:59 pm

Jeff Traylor developed the McCown boys as quarterbacks at Jacksonville High School. Two of them became NFL quarterbacks, He won Texas state football championships at Gilmer. He is a QB whisperer and an offensive genius, the kind of things that commended Chad Morris for SMU. Jeff's UIL recuiting connections are a big plus for him. He can be hired for far less than $2,ooo,ooo per year and do just as good a job as June Jones and better.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:44 am

Traylor was brought in because of his potential to be a future head coach and fill gaps in the coaching staff whenever Chad left. He will be a big part of this thing moving forward as a OC/Assistant HC if he doesn't get the job outright.

Orlando and Sumlin are my favorites, though.
JasonB

Previous

Return to Football