PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rick Hart statement re: Chad Morris, football coach position

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Rick Hart statement re: Chad Morris, football coach posi

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:49 am

I’m with section F. I’ll see it to believe it. Sadly too little too late with Chad. Hopefully (if it’s actually true), they can use it as a selling point. also just thinking about it but the flat 2.2mil we have for salary really needs to be considered for an uplift by 20-30% given how much coordinators are making nowadays.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:42 am

Bergermeister wrote:
JasonB wrote:The IPF plans and funding were finalized. Going where the old natatorium was and the mustang club area.

Wow! It's gonna be HUGE! :lol: Should've left Perkins standing, filled in the hole and thrown down some used astroturf.

Twss
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:32 am

Chad was upset because it wasn't the huge one. We don't have anywhere to move the soccer stadium, so we couldn't put it there. For some reason they don't want to build it on the current outdoor practice fields. Probably some architecture thing. Regardless, they are going to put it where the mustang club tents are and on the old natatorium, so the indoor field is only 80 yards long.
JasonB

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:42 pm

JasonB wrote:Chad was upset because it wasn't the huge one. We don't have anywhere to move the soccer stadium, so we couldn't put it there. For some reason they don't want to build it on the current outdoor practice fields. Probably some architecture thing. Regardless, they are going to put it where the mustang club tents are and on the old natatorium, so the indoor field is only 80 yards long.

Wait so if this is true, that seems crazy he would be upset that it wasn't the huge one? I'm going to assume its fairly decent size IPF and at the end of the day it's the "I" that matters. That drops a few points on likability for Chad if he was upset it wasn't the primo version.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CBpony » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:58 pm

Good thing we got a lacrosse field that took a piece of land where the IPF could've gone :roll:
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Postby deucetz » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:48 pm

CBpony wrote:Good thing we got a lacrosse field that took a piece of land where the IPF could've gone :roll:

I believe according to the Bush contract, an IPF couldn't be built if it blocked the view.
deucetz
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:14 pm

deucetz wrote:
CBpony wrote:Good thing we got a lacrosse field that took a piece of land where the IPF could've gone :roll:

I believe according to the Bush contract, an IPF couldn't be built if it blocked the view.

Probably could have put soccer there though
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby dr rc » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:28 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
JasonB wrote:Chad was upset because it wasn't the huge one. We don't have anywhere to move the soccer stadium, so we couldn't put it there. For some reason they don't want to build it on the current outdoor practice fields. Probably some architecture thing. Regardless, they are going to put it where the mustang club tents are and on the old natatorium, so the indoor field is only 80 yards long.

Wait so if this is true, that seems crazy he would be upset that it wasn't the huge one? I'm going to assume its fairly decent size IPF and at the end of the day it's the "I" that matters. That drops a few points on likability for Chad if he was upset it wasn't the primo version.

If this is true I think you'd be dropping the likeability rating for the wrong party. If the IPF is less than promised it's just another example of a "this is probably good enough" mentality that will never lead to great things.
dr rc
Varsity

Postby Greenwich Pony » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:13 pm

I'm not sure how real this is, but putting the IPF at the corner of Bishop and Binkley doesn't sound like something this admin would do: it would ruin the image of Bishop for starters, and they seem to have had a workable plan that they published all over creation when the Big12 was allegedly looking for members. I somehow don't think they'd change the plans over space issues, it even had provision for the soccer stadium (though how we can't use the Lacrosse stadium for Soccer too remains a mystery to me).

That aside, and if this is the plan to build a small IPF, why even bother? It's not going to impress anyone. I'd like to see an IPF built, if that is what the program needs, but if we're not going to do it right, then why waste the money? This is go big or go home time. Either we commit to doing this right, or we drop the sport down. It's not what I'd prefer to see, but this is getting ridiculous.

And I agree that this is indicative of a bigger university-wide problem (beyond athletics) of "good enough" pretty much across the board which has been very frustrating to watch.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby Black Horseshoe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:36 pm

Old nat PLUS outdoor pool
Black Horseshoe
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:39 pm

It would likely be comparable to most other IPF in area. I don't think there are any grand dame IPFs like Morris was originally talking about in Texas. Morris originally was talking about a 60+ Million facility plus more for other sports complex and facility movement. Now we are talking more in the 20 Million range. Most of the grand dames are SEC, some ACC, Oregon and up North. TCU, Baylor, Tech, UH and even UT are pretty modest compared to what Morris' dream was. Has A&M built a grand dame IPF? Can't remember
Last edited by Stallion on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Greenwich Pony » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:55 pm

I don't doubt that it won't be comparable or that they'd do a bad job, but if the IPF is going to do something for us, it needs to turn heads. It needs to make a recruit stand up and take notice. Does it have to be 'Bama's palace? No, but it needs be have a "Wow" factor. Please don't get me wrong, I think we have a very nice stadium, and the campus is beautiful and all that, but we don't fill the stadium. Our academics are not where they should be, but are still more rigorous than most schools and that probably makes things harder than the "good school" recruiting pitch helps. Where we can attempt to match toe-to-toe is facilities. We allegedly have deep pockets. If we half-donkey the IPF, we're still just another school that stands out because we have little fan support. It doesn't have to be a grand dame, but it should look more like a grand dame than the IPFs at TCU or Houston (meaning no offense to their facilities).

I'm not wild about the alleged new location, but are they going to build an outdoor aquatics facility next to the new pool center? It seems silly to have just get back the indoor pool to lose the outdoor one, though I guess it might be cheaper to rebuild (and rebuild closer to the indoor facility) than a new soccer stadium?
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby Black Horseshoe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:58 pm

Greenwich Pony wrote:I don't doubt that it won't be comparable or that they'd do a bad job, but if the IPF is going to do something for us, it needs to turn heads. It needs to make a recruit stand up and take notice. Does it have to be 'Bama's palace? No, but it needs be have a "Wow" factor. Please don't get me wrong, I think we have a very nice stadium, and the campus is beautiful and all that, but we don't fill the stadium. Our academics are not where they should be, but are still more rigorous than most schools and that probably makes things harder than the "good school" recruiting pitch helps. Where we can attempt to match toe-to-toe is facilities. We allegedly have deep pockets. If we half-donkey the IPF, we're still just another school that stands out because we have little fan support. It doesn't have to be a grand dame, but it should look more like a grand dame than the IPFs at TCU or Houston (meaning no offense to their facilities).

I'm not wild about the alleged new location, but are they going to build an outdoor aquatics facility next to the new pool center? It seems silly to have just get back the indoor pool to lose the outdoor one, though I guess it might be cheaper to rebuild (and rebuild closer to the indoor facility) than a new soccer stadium?

It’s already under construction. How about waiting to see the plans before you complain. The right people thankfully stepped in at the last minute and it’s going to be done well.
Black Horseshoe
Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:02 pm

It’s under construction? When I went to USC game, I don’t remember seeing construction. Anyone have a picture?
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Black Horseshoe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:13 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:It’s under construction? When I went to USC game, I don’t remember seeing construction. Anyone have a picture?

Notice a drained pool with notices it’s not reopening?
Black Horseshoe
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football