PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rick Hart statement re: Chad Morris, football coach position

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Rick Hart statement re: Chad Morris, football coach position

Postby PonyPride » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:34 pm

“I want to start by thanking Chad for what he’s done for our program. While we had hoped he would be with us longer, this opportunity is a testament to the job he did in three short years on the Hilltop. Each and every day Chad put on the Pony, he gave his best to our university and, in particular, our student-athletes. Our program is well-positioned for continued and even greater success due to his tireless efforts and unwavering commitment to excellence. We wish Chad, Paula, Mackenzie and Chandler the very best.

“Associate Head Coach Jeff Traylor will serve as our interim head coach for the bowl game. Jeff has an extensive coaching background at the college and high school levels, including experience as a head coach. Our student-athletes remain excited about the opportunity to compete in the DXL Frisco Bowl and secure an eighth win for SMU.

“We have already begun our search for the next head football coach at SMU. We are committed to hiring a leader who will continue to advance our program in the classroom and on the field in support of our collective vision to establish SMU as the premier program in the American Athletic Conference. We have much to offer – classroom, culture, competitiveness, campus, city – and I look forward to introducing the next head coach soon.

“Until then, Go Mustangs and Pony Up!”

Rick Hart, Director of Athletics
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Rick Hart statement re: Chad Morris, football coach posi

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:36 pm

Damn it. So I guess interim is getting a trial run with the bowl game. This probably means recruiting will be hampered as well since we didn't get the short list ready to make an immediate offer to the top candidates.

Add-on: For those who haven't bought tickets, at least the stock price had to of gone down on third party sites. Interim coach playing against LA Tech, how wonderful.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:43 pm

SMU should have been on the job canvassing replacements, and in overdrive the second the Aggies offered Jimbo a 10 year deal. I hope they were, and I don’t know either way, but that statement comes well short of suggesting they didn’t start this search before this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MV pony » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:49 pm

Collective vision to establish SMU as a premier program in the AAC. Wonderful. Half the AAC is in the bottom 20. No vision beyond the AAC? Vomit.
MV pony
All-American

Postby redpony » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:50 pm

I think the search should have started when chad asked permission to talk with arky. not sure if it started then or much later. either way I think we are left in a real bind as far as recruiting goes.
redpony

Postby mrydel » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:52 pm

Come on. You know good and well they have been putting out feelers for weeks.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mustangxc » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:54 pm

MV pony wrote:Collective vision to establish SMU as a premier program in the AAC. Wonderful. Half the AAC is in the bottom 20. No vision beyond the AAC? Vomit.

Three AAC teams were in the Top 25, it is the premiere Group of 5 conference, and landed a spot in a NY6 bowl. Not sure what else you want for now.
mustangxc

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:02 pm

If they had started the process, we should have a new coach before bowl game. That's not the case. It seems like a) They are going with the audition approach for Jeff Traylor (bad move) or b) late to the party and we lose a good chance to keep recruits and get practice on the bowl game...
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:05 pm

Calm down! He literally just agreed to the contract today and will be introduced at Arkansas tomorrow. Our bowl game is 2 weeks away! SMH!
mustangxc

Postby SMU Section F » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:05 pm

mustangxc wrote:
MV pony wrote:Collective vision to establish SMU as a premier program in the AAC. Wonderful. Half the AAC is in the bottom 20. No vision beyond the AAC? Vomit.

Three AAC teams were in the Top 25, it is the premiere Group of 5 conference, and landed a spot in a NY6 bowl. Not sure what else you want for now.

I would sell my soul to be on the level of Houston in 2015 or UCF this year... Temple, Memphis, and USF haven't done half bad for themselves either.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:08 pm

mustangxc wrote:Calm down! He literally just agreed to the contract today and will be introduced at Arkansas tomorrow. Our bowl game is 2 weeks away! SMH!

If I didn't see his words of "Jeff Traylor will coach the bowl game", I wouldn't be posting furiously ( :) ). Sadly I feel that's indicative to how slow we have been going. None of this is surprising from the CM wants to leave perspective. Him actually getting picked up was a bit surprising but they should have been talking with people for weeks now, so we can make a quick hire. I'm just worried they are going to settle from within..
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:13 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote: Him actually getting picked up was a bit surprising but they should have been talking with people for weeks now, so we can make a quick hire. I'm just worried they are going to settle from within..

My concern as well.I'm afraid that a.d. is looking to 'buy' a coach on the cheap and is much less concerned about getting a name coach in here to keep the momentum going.
redpony

Postby FWMustang » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:30 pm

I almost hate bring up that another coach has come and gone and still no IPF.

Too soon?
Go RED! Go BLUE! Go MUSTANGS! S-M-U!!
FWMustang
Varsity

Postby SMU Section F » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:31 pm

FWMustang wrote:I almost hate bring up that another coach has come and gone and still no IPF.

Too soon?

At least our next head coach can't realistically expect us to actually build one now... so maybe we're off the hook?
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:31 pm

mustangxc wrote:

That is an OK vision, I would agree. It is sensible.

I have no faith in our athletic department to make it happen. Hart's statement is far from reassuring.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football