PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jeff Reinebold Ripping Chad Morris

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jeff Reinebold Ripping Chad Morris

Postby Dutch » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:05 pm

Stallion wrote:
mrydel wrote:Counselor, can you please offer evidence that “SMU has made no effort to keep Morris”? I do not believe I have seen that written or spoken anywhere.

its been confirmed

"sources"

remind us, when you called Rick Hart to offer up to donate to the fund to pay the coaches salary, how much was your pledge to help keep him?
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:07 pm

By whom?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:11 pm

I think there can be criticism on the claim "made no effort to keep Morris" unless sources are provided, what could we have possibly offer to try to keep him? Our salary has been consistent for almost 10 years suggesting that we are already at a ceiling or that ceiling can not be broken unless certain metrics have been met (that still haven't today). I'm going to go with the former, but like you said SMU can't fund it as it has to be done by the football foundation (or whatever it's called). Now you might say they could have offered him a raise and those donors are rich enough to do it. However, do we know the donor's financial situation? Let's say SMU came back and made their highest offer ever of $3m base plus increases across the board for the other coaches. Do any of us actually believe Morris would say no to Arkansas with that offer? If so, why would Morris do that? If we agree he would still go, why would SMU reveal that it can offer that amount to the world? It would be better for SMU not to reveal it's highest price so the potential future coaches we interview won't be like I'll only come for that $3mil.
Last edited by SMU_Alum11 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:16 pm

Stallion wrote:...and Gary Patterson took over a strong program from Franchione that had reached the Top 25 yet in 2 out of the next 4 years they finished 6-6 and 5-6 in a G5 Conference. Nevertheless, TCU thought they had the Right Guy and rewarded him. SMU hired the Right Guy-for the first time in 40 years but didn't bother or lift a finger to invest in him. Chad Morris had us tracking to a legitimate shot at an Access Bowl

"Morris had us tracking to a legitimate shot at an Access Bowl" :lol:

.......after 5 more recruiting classes, a new DC, and a 5 star Deshaun Watson clone arriving on campus.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Dutch » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:19 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:I think there can be criticism on the claim "made no effort to keep Morris" unless source are provided, what could we have possibly offer to try to keep him? Our salary has been consistent for almost 10 years suggesting that we are already at a ceiling or that ceiling can not be broken unless certain metrics have been met (that still haven't today). I'm going to go with the former, but like you said SMU can't fund it as it has to be done by the football foundation (or whatever it's called). Now you might say they could have offerred him a raise and those donors are rich enough to do it. However, do we know the donors financial situation, right? Let's say SMU came back and made their highest offer ever of $3m base plus increases across the board. Do any of us actually believe Morris would say no to Arkansas with that offer? If so, why would Morris do that? If we agree he would still go, why would SMU reveal that it can offer that amount to the world? It would be better for it to not reveal it's highest price so the coaches we interview won't be like I'll only come for that $3mil.

this guy gets it.

don't forget, that same pool of money (that isn't getting much bigger) is also funding a new practice facility. so, there's that, that they came to the table with for Morris.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:51 pm

Dutch wrote:
Stallion wrote:part of the problem is I have a source that traces salary back to 2006 but not before-- but anyway it shows 8 substantial raises for Gary Patterson between 2006 and 2016--sometimes the amount drops maybe $100,000 the year after a raise but I'm assuming its because of a bonus or maybe a signing bonus in prior years

The point is SMU will never keep a Coach unless it repeated analyzes changes in the market value of its coach and offers modifications when necessary to keep the Coach happy. SMU admittedly has made no effort to keep Morris

2000-2008: 8 bowls in 9 years (winning 5 of them) and having one 10 win season and four 11 win seasons, 3 conference championships, 4 consecutive wins over B12 teams in '04-05. He EARNED those raises. EARNED with quantifiable results. Morris got us back to a bowl game (Barely albeit) but it's not like that hadn't been done since the DP. we had been to 4 bowls in the 6 years prior to him getting here. he just got us back where we were. so yeah, market rate.

look, you've decided to dig your heels in on this one. Sometimes it's ok to be wrong. you don't even have to admit it, just slowly push the keyboard away, and stop responding. it will be ok. we'll let it go too and forget about it.

quantifiable is a very big word and I like it. Why is everyone ganging up on stallion.
One Trick Pony

Postby mtrout » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:09 pm

Traylor is football’s tim jankovich. Hire him at a reasonable rate. As long as he keeps workkng hard we can’t get much worse.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:16 pm

Significantly different-but...both have strong resumes at different levels

Jankovich has one of the great College Assistant Resumes in the History of College Basketball
Traylor has one of the great Head Coaching records in TXHSFB History
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby gostangs » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:20 pm

Stallion wrote:...and Gary Patterson took over a strong program from Franchione that had reached the Top 25 yet in 2 out of the next 4 years they finished 6-6 and 5-6 in a G5 Conference. Nevertheless, TCU thought they had the Right Guy and rewarded him. SMU hired the Right Guy-for the first time in 40 years but didn't bother or lift a finger to invest in him. Chad Morris had us tracking to a legitimate shot at an Access Bowl

So just to be clear, you think SMU should have paid him more when we did the extension, and if we had we would have stayed when the SEC came calling - is that it? I really want to understand what your point is.

Usually when people invest millions they want to know what they are getting. We would have invested millions and gotten the exact same thing we got - a goodbye note. Not knocking Chad - all power to him for cashing in - just knocking your silly rant.
gostangs

Postby ponyboy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:13 pm

peruna81 wrote:
Stallion wrote:Guess which Coach was never fired by SMU

Late entry for post of the year....

If ASU hadn't reneged on their offer, that honor would have gone to Chad's predecessor.
ponyboy

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:29 pm

Stallion wrote: The point is SMU will never keep a Coach unless it repeated analyzes changes in the market value of its coach and offers modifications when necessary to keep the Coach happy.

This is his fundamental argument. It’s hard to argue against it.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:30 pm

I hope we are keeping Jank happy.
SoCal_Pony

Postby mrydel » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:38 pm

I see no way we keep a relatively youthful coach with drive and ability when we are on the outside looking in from G5 to P5. Times have changed. A good coach wants to compete for a national championship and that cannot be accomplished in a G5 school. If we were on an equal playing field we could throw money at a coach and possibly keep him.

The only exception I would see for us would be Ramon Flanigan. He loves SMU and I believe would stay regardless of outside forces.

Is he the best candidate? That is not my call. All I am saying is that unless you have someone who absolutely bleeds the red and blue, and they are driven to win championships, we will not keep them unless perhaps they are age challenged.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mustangxc » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:14 pm

Was Flanigan a good OC at UNT? If he was, then try to lure a Todd Graham, Lane Kiffin, or any of those top of the line coaches that will only be here 2-3 seasons and make him OC/Assistant Head Coach with the plan to make him our following HC.
mustangxc

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:38 pm

They made 4 straight bowls-at least 3 with Flannigan as OC-might have been a 4th--the head coach was former SMU OC Darrell Dickey who didn't get real fancy-emphasized the running game
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Football