PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ASU fans think we should hire Todd Graham

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

ASU fans think we should hire Todd Graham

Postby aus10fromhous10 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:20 pm

Adam Grosbard of the DMN tweeted Todd Graham could be an "intriguing" hire for SMU. I replied that after the way he treated Rice, Tulsa and Pittsburgh, Graham can't be trusted. Then a bunch of ASU fans came to Graham's defense:

https://twitter.com/austinpkilgore/status/938497789616631808

Am I crazy here?
aus10fromhous10
Junior Varsity

Re: ASU fans think we should hire Todd Graham

Postby sbsmith » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Honestly, we wouldn't be able to trust any good coach to stick around. At least we know Graham can win at a school like ours.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby aus10fromhous10 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:23 pm

aus10fromhous10
Junior Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:30 pm

How many coaches stay 10+ seasons? It is now a rarity so hire the best available coach and hope he elevates your program. I don’t hold Pittsburgh against him. Separations tend to be messy, no way around that. I think he would stay for 5-6 seasons and at that point may realize he is very happy here and stay longer.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:37 pm

and people need to accept the fact that a G5 school is always going to have difficulty retaining coaches who are pursued by P5 schools...revenue/economics are no contest.
Charleston Pony

Postby Phxfan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:41 pm

aus10fromhous10 wrote:Adam Grosbard of the DMN tweeted Todd Graham could be an "intriguing" hire for SMU. I replied that after the way he treated Rice, Tulsa and Pittsburgh, Graham can't be trusted. Then a bunch of ASU fans came to Graham's defense:

https://twitter.com/austinpkilgore/status/938497789616631808

Am I crazy here?

I think many ASU fans watched his farewell address, where he praised the school to no end. It's on You Tube. In reality I think most were iffy-iffy on it. But I am sure, many saw the video and thought, what a great guy. I don't think he would be good for SMU, because he did give his heart and soul to that ASU job. I don't think he would go the extra mile for SMU. I think he would basically do a JJ. He needs to go to ESPN/FOX and talk for awhile.
Phxfan
All-American

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:31 pm

He cut his teeth on TXHSFB in DFW and he was just about the best recruiter of DFW talent as an assistant. I remember thinking SMU should hire him as an Assistant back then because he was killing it in our backyard

He is our safest bet to go to a bowl in next couple years-I'll let others decide whether he's the best candidate though. I think he would probably win more games at a higher percentage than any Coach we've had in the last 3 decades.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMU21TCU10 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:32 pm

I don’t understand why they fired him then and possibly made a terrible hire? I assumed it was because the Board didn’t like him.
SMU21TCU10
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:34 pm

Stallion wrote:He cut his teeth on TXHSFB in DFW and he was just about the best recruiter of DFW talent as an assistant. I remember thinking SMU should hire him as an Assistant back then because he was killing it in our backyard

He is our safest bet to go to a bowl in next couple years-I'll let others decide whether he's the best candidate though. I think he would probably win more games at a higher percentage than any Coach we've had in the last 3 decades.

What more can you ask for from our next coach?
mustangxc

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:37 pm

Graham is a slightly older Chad Morris who was smart enough to get into College Football earlier and has revolutionized the game hiring and developing high school coaches. He has perhaps the most impressive coaching tree in the Country.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Black Horseshoe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:38 pm

Stallion wrote:He cut his teeth on TXHSFB in DFW and he was just about the best recruiter of DFW talent as an assistant. I remember thinking SMU should hire him as an Assistant back then because he was killing it in our backyard

You have seriously lost your mind. You claim to be a recruiting genius but lack any knowledge of what other coaches including high school think of him.
Black Horseshoe
Varsity

Postby CA Mustang » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:01 am

SMU21TCU10 wrote:I don’t understand why they fired him then and possibly made a terrible hire? I assumed it was because the Board didn’t like him.

Because he maxed out at ASU. 2nd place in the South (4/5 overall) was as high as he could take the program. He'd been in the conference long enough that the other schools had figured out his schemes and he would have to come up with something new to win. The president and AD think the school can do better so they pulled the trigger.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/26/a ... landscape/
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/04/a ... ight-play/
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:45 am

Can't compare the SMU G5 job to P5 ASU. If Hart thinks Graham is the best guy for our current situation, I'm fine with that but it sounds like we are looking for a young, energetic "up and comer" type. We could certainly do worse than Graham.
Charleston Pony

Return to Football