PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why is everyone thanking Chad?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Why is everyone thanking Chad?

Postby SMUGradCox » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:01 pm

I'm incredibly disappointed that he bolted after only 3 years. I get that this is a business, but leaving after only 3 years?? Even Art f*ckin Briles stayed 5 years at Houston. Chad didn't even stay his first recruiting class' full 4 years.

We're thanking him for taking us to 1 bowl in 3 years (and not even sticking around to get the W!)?

We're thanking him for doing a pretty mediocre job recruiting? My quick look at Rivals shows 3-4 straight classes of not being in the top 5 in the American Conf.

And he doesn't even have the decency to thank the fans in a Tweet or statement?

People can point to the lack of fan support and lack of attendance as giving him a reason to leave. But when did he give anyone a reason to be there? Getting whooped by Navy and at best getting 7 wins is not going to turn the tide like it did in Basketball after we started beating Memphis, Cinci, and UConn on the reg.

Chad is a good coach, but why aren't we as a fan base more emotional and more p*ssed?? Please stop with the "thanks for your time, guys" sentiments.
SMUGradCox
Scout Team

Re: Why is everyone thanking Chad?

Postby gostangs » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:03 pm

We have self esteem issues. Thankfully it is only related to football.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:07 pm

No offense as this isnt directed soley at you but how many threads do we need to start regarding Chad. Please let's move on. 1) The main reason we thank Chad rather than be upset has been said numerous times. He left SMU in a better place than when he started. 2) It's the nature of G5 schools with coaches that has shown progress like Chad (1-11 to 7-5 in 3 years + Clemson progress) will easily get poached especially with the number of openings that occurred this year. 3) We all knew he was going to leave for a P5 schools (a real one, not kansas). Baylor was a bit of a slap in the face but if he had gotten $6m, could we really blame him.

Lastly, I was thinking (and wrongly so) that he needed to prove himself a little more before an SEC (or big power 5 school) would have even considered him. He had his Clemson experience to be the main driver that I didn't realize would be such a factor. Let's go ahead and really establish this: until we are in a P5 conference, a full stadium with fans and great facilities (great IPF not mini), we are going to lose every successful coach within 2-5 years.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:16 pm

The fact that Chad didn't see any reason to thank the few loyal SMU fans that were in the stands pretty much says it all about him. I might have missed something but I have seen no statement from him recognizing SMU's contribution to his life. He sees no reason to recognize the fans and the school he deserted, that's fine. Contracts mean nothing, I get it. I hope we benefit from what he has left behind, but I have no urge to say "thank you", and even if I did, he doesn't seem to care.

I'll still be in the stands like I always am. Go Ponies.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ericdickerson4life » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:16 pm

Toughed to get pissed off about him leaving when it is a monster promotion. To think we could compete with Arkansas to keep him here is dare a say, a fools dream.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:18 pm

The offer we knew would come some day came and he left. End of story. He was not going to be here forever and we knew it. I thought it would take one more year but thanks to the Bielema implosion it came now.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mustangxc » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:18 pm

A quick thank you on twitter would have taken 2 seconds and cost nothing. Class costs nothing yet very few people have it.
mustangxc

Postby mrydel » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:20 pm

Yeah. Could have done like June.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:26 pm

Bigger pay
Bigger budget
Bigger conference
Bigger (full crazy) stadiums
so I can't really blame Chad
BUT
I am not so sure how well he will compete in that conference...I guess time will tell
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dwan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:35 pm

I don’t think the original post in this thread is about being pissed he left, but more disappointed that he didn’t say anything to the fans or community thanking them for the opportunity. Or to at least acknowledge it was a nice run. It just kind of confirms that he had one foot out the door from day one and didn’t think much about this place other than the opportunity it presented for him.
Dwan
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:42 pm

Who the [deleted] cares-nobody except the retired blue-hairs at the Mustang Club Social. SMU didn't raise the coaching staffs salary for 3 years and Morris and staff earned every penny of their paychecks. It obviously didn't mean much to the SMU Boosters so why do we expect them to say goodbye to anyone but the players and Football staff. Loyalty is a 2 way street. I'm proud of the job that staff did for our university-no one will ever work harder. I'm embarrassed for my university their efforts weren't recognized. We're even-later
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby MV pony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:46 pm

It's not that he left. It's what little he accomplished at SMU during the time he was here as the highest paid G-5 coach. Go back and look at the comments in the game threads. He wasn't a high achiever. Yes, he inherited a dumpster fire but his accomplishments were not steller given his resume. Each year when he proclaimed mission accomplished it was a laugh. Not a cm lover. Flame away but we must be the only school in a pepetual rebuild for 30 years. Just get it done. My UCLA neighbors love to gloat.
MV pony
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:00 pm

SMUGradCox wrote:I'm incredibly disappointed that he bolted after only 3 years. I get that this is a business, but leaving after only 3 years?? Even Art f*ckin Briles stayed 5 years at Houston. Chad didn't even stay his first recruiting class' full 4 years.

We're thanking him for taking us to 1 bowl in 3 years (and not even sticking around to get the W!)?

Solid 1st post GradCox.

In honor of RGV.

While he left after 3 years, Waco was 2 years ago.

We achieved this bowl by winning against teams with an avg Sagarin ranking of 122. Highest win was against Ark State (ranked #86). 2 wins due to bone-head plays by QBs on the last and next to last plays of the game.

ZERO excuse for this. Short-sided on his part and maybe a reflection of his character, I don't know.

I do think CM was our best HC post DP, but I never have rooted for the Hogs and see no reason to do so today. I hope they fail, to be honest. That hasn't changed.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Wild Mustang » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:03 pm

Chad Morris and staff are definitely responsible for building some positive momentum for our program. I thank them for the positive buzz that was created around our program. But if we are really being honest here, Chad Morris did not exacly accomplish a lot while here at SMU. You can look at this past season. Yes we made it to a bowl game, but with the cupcake schedule that we played getting to a bowl game should be expected. We should have won the games we did and then some. I am not confident that Chad Morris is a good coach. I like the man as a person, I really do. No one will argue that he is a good recruiter, good with the media, shakes hands, kisses babies, does all the little things to keep a positive vibe surrounding the football program, but the overall inconsistent performance of our QB, our defense, and our playcalling on offense shows me that he has much to learn as a head coach.

I cannot blame Chad Morris for jumping ship at more money, bigger school, better conferernce, more exposure, larger fan base, but it sure is sad to see someone start something here at SMU and not finish what he started. I understand that college football is a business, it is just sad to see that there is no loyalty from coaches, fans, alumni, boosters, or administration. I guess that is just the reality of the world we live today.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby peruna81 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:05 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
SMUGradCox wrote:I'm incredibly disappointed that he bolted after only 3 years. I get that this is a business, but leaving after only 3 years?? Even Art f*ckin Briles stayed 5 years at Houston. Chad didn't even stay his first recruiting class' full 4 years.

Solid 1st post GradCox.

In honor of RGV.

While he left after 3 years, Waco was 2 years ago.

We achieved this bowl by winning against teams with an avg Sagarin ranking of 122. Highest win was against Ark State (ranked #86). 2 wins due to bone-head plays by QBs on the last and next to last plays of the game.

ZERO excuse for this. Short-sided on his part and maybe a reflection of his character, I don't know.

I do think CM was our best HC post DP, but I never have rooted for the Hogs and see no reason to do so today. I hope they fail, to be honest. That hasn't changed.

So what your'e saying is that you are "through helping Arkansas?"
Patterson acolyte...(sarcasm alert)
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football