PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why is everyone thanking Chad?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Why is everyone thanking Chad?

Postby ojaipony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:08 pm

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Moving on. Next man up.
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HubbaHubba » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:14 pm

I think CM maxed out at SMU. I’m not sure he would have taken us to the AAC championship. He was a good right the ship hire but he wasn’t going to sail us to the promised land. If we get the right coaching staff in place now the program might in better shape than if CM stayed. So thank you Chad for coming and thank you Chad for going. We all might be better off.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby Texasscout96 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:17 pm

I honestly hope he flops and is canned.
SMU Grad 1996 - Worked in SMU athletic recruiting office under Forrest Gregg and Bill Weidner from 1992-1997.
Texasscout96
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU21TCU10 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:23 pm

If he kills it at Arkansas I’ll be a huge Arkansas fan, as he knew how good of a coach he is and went and showed everyone. However, If he goes there and flops, and in year three is on the coaches hot seat like Butch Jones was this year, I’ll have to chuckle and think “grass isn’t always greener, you could have had the SMU job for a decade if you’d wanted.”
SMU21TCU10
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:28 pm

SMU21TCU10 wrote:If he kills it at Arkansas I’ll be a huge Arkansas fan, as he knew how good of a coach he is and went and showed everyone. However, If he goes there and flops, and in year three is on the coaches hot seat like Butch Jones was this year, I’ll have to chuckle and think “grass isn’t always greener, you could have had the SMU job for a decade if you’d wanted.”

Not much of a risk. Even if he flames out and can't get it done at Arkansas because of the intense competition in the SEC, good chance he could end up as a P5 OC again making the same kind of money he would have at SMU
Charleston Pony

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:29 pm

So let me get this straight. A coach is contracted for a certain dollar value, for a certain term and in this case it was 6 years: 2014-2020. In 2016 added another 3 years into 2023.

Under your logic he can now ask Arkansas for more money in 2019 because he is doing the job he contracted to perform?

I'm in the wrong line of work. No job I have ever heard of in corporate America works like that.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:36 pm

There is a buyout clause in the contract. And this is not corporate America. He’s coach coaching non paid amateur student athlete. Happens everywhere. And if we could get a good coach that was under contract from another school we would.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:00 pm

MV pony wrote:we must be the only school in a pepetual rebuild for 30 years

MV that's why I am "done" to some degree. I still buy season tickets, attend most games, & donate to the Mustang Club, but it's been a real whip the last 25 years. I sometimes attend a college football game when I travel and it is a bit sobering when I return to Ford Stadium for a game. You almost forget what it's like to attend a REAL college football game with a real crowd. We have basically been an impostor for 2 decades or more. Think BIG FAIL!

I'm still here....but my enthusiasm just isn't the same anymore...as we start now with another new coach that "will want his own players" and we'll soon probably hear the same old garbage play out....when hired he'll be the greatest thing since sliced bread....then it will be '"Well give the guy a year or two to implement his system"....then it will be "well give the guy at least a year or two to get his own players"....blah blah blah and around the (not so) Merry Go Around again we go.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:08 pm

Inspiring thread.
Bergermeister

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:24 pm

HarvCrimYaleBlue wrote:So let me get this straight. A coach is contracted for a certain dollar value, for a certain term and in this case it was 6 years: 2014-2020. In 2016 added another 3 years into 2023.

Under your logic he can now ask Arkansas for more money in 2019 because he is doing the job he contracted to perform?

I'm in the wrong line of work. No job I have ever heard of in corporate America works like that.

If you raised production 600%+ in 3 years for your employer-AND you want to keep him-that's exactly how it works.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ericdickerson4life » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:34 pm

By some of the posts on here you’d think SMU was about to fire Chad, or should have been thinking about it, because he isn’t a very good coach. In that case we should be celebrating that he left and we can find the real coach that can lead us to the promise land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:43 pm

mrydel wrote:Yeah. Could have done like June.

that's setting the bar a bit low, don't you think?
gostangs

Postby redpony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:51 pm

I don't blame chad for making the change. i think most of us would have done the same thing if we were in his shoes. IMO he should have spent another year here to get more experience. Reminds me of the baseball pitcher who goes from high school to the 'bigs'. Tough jump and a lot don't make it.

I am disappointed that he didn't have enough respect for us to wait until after the bowl game to announce his decision. At least tiki insisted that no leaks occur until after the Hawaii bowl game and then he made his announcement about coming to SMU.
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:02 pm

redpony wrote:I don't blame chad for making the change. i think most of us would have done the same thing if we were in his shoes. IMO he should have spent another year here to get more experience. Reminds me of the baseball pitcher who goes from high school to the 'bigs'. Tough jump and a lot don't make it.

I am disappointed that he didn't have enough respect for us to wait until after the bowl game to announce his decision. At least tiki insisted that no leaks occur until after the Hawaii bowl game and then he made his announcement about coming to SMU.

Early signing date is a game changer and that's why we have seen so many deals done so quickly and if you are the new employer, you want your guy on the job yesterday. Will be no different for SMU if we hire someone who is currently an assistant in another program...we will want him to leave before his current team's bowl game.
Charleston Pony

Postby smusportspage » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:05 pm

Stallion wrote:
HarvCrimYaleBlue wrote:So let me get this straight. A coach is contracted for a certain dollar value, for a certain term and in this case it was 6 years: 2014-2020. In 2016 added another 3 years into 2023.

If you raised production 600%+ in 3 years for your employer-AND you want to keep him-that's exactly how it works.

Stallion, you have got to know he was not staying any longer then he had too. I don't think is 100% about the money. So, what's the point?
smusportspage
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football