PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why is everyone thanking Chad?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Why is everyone thanking Chad?

Postby Dwan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:11 pm

Loyalty maybe a two way street, but class is not.
Dwan
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:14 pm

The only negative I had for Chad so far and please anyone disprove it. My few google searches haven't shown anything contrary to it yet:

He didn't have a farewell and good luck to SMU. If that's how it normally goes for coaches then so be it but it seems either classless to him or to the "industry" not write a "I had a great time at SMU and meeting with everyone. I will cherish the memories but I'm excited about my new endeavor". I kind of thought his character as person who would do something like that even if he didn't really mean it.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ObeyMyDog » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:19 pm

I don't know why people are mad/surprised - 2017 college football coaching is an ego-maniacal, hyper ambitious business. Coaches are almost as much their own brand as the school and 99% of them are guns for hire should you offer and it's a "move up" for them.

Yes, Chad probably only got a job he would leave for this year because of the insanity that is this coaching offseason. Yes, he would have been gone after next year almost certainly. And, finally, yes he should have put out a statement thanking SMU but whatever - he has not been doing this very long (on and off the field) as Arkansas will learn during his first season. Still generally rooting for the guy.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby Mexmustang » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:31 pm

When your head coach is seen cursing the pictures of the last two head coaches, shouting, "I should have listened, I should have listened", six months into the job you know he hated the place. And this time even Randy Allen is leaving....everyone wants out!

Our AD has no power, and no cajonies to stick up for his coaches. In four years he has done nothing to market football and sell tickets. But, he has raised BB tickets twice...FK the coaches, and FK the fans. Even he has interviewed... but schools are on to him.

Like one of our coaches said, "You can't even fart on this campus without Turner's approval". And our board has given him a lifetime contract. What a joke! The fifth highest salary at any university and we are not even in the top 50.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:42 pm

Mexmustang wrote:When your head coach is seen cursing the pictures of the last two head coaches, shouting, "I should have listened, I should have listened", six months into the job you know he hated the place. And this time even Randy Allen is leaving....everyone wants out!

Our AD has no power, and no cajonies to stick up for his coaches. In four years he has done nothing to market football and sell tickets. But, he has raised BB tickets twice...FK the coaches, and FK the fans. Even he has interviewed... but schools are on to him.

Like one of our coaches said, "You can't even fart on this campus without Turner's approval". And our board has given him a lifetime contract. What a joke! The fifth highest salary at any university and we are not even in the top 50.

I couldn't believe when I read this. What a freaking joke. Look at Turner's company. I liked Turner, but his time is up. No president should be at a university for more than 10 years, unless he had made us a top 25 academic university, and he hasn't. The list of presidents is below. We really need to get our act together in all fronts, academics and sports. we're our own worst enemy in many regards.

Among private Universities
1. Jack P. Varsalona, Wilmington University (Del.): $5,449,405
2. Mark S. Wrighton, Washington University in St. Louis: $4,185,866
3. Gerald Turner, Southern Methodist University: $3,354,128
4. Amy Gutmann, University of Pennsylvania: $2,962,708
5. Lee C. Bollinger, Columbia University: $2,447,032
6. Morton O. Schapiro, Northwestern University: $2,352,578
7. Robert Fisher, Belmont University: $2,120,091
8. Robert J. Zimmer, University of Chicago: $2,051,089
9. James F. Jones Jr., Trinity College (Conn.): $1,661,794
10. David J. Skorton, Cornell University: $1,618,328

1. Rodney Erickson* Pennsylvania State University $1,494,603
2. R. Bowen Loftin* Texas A&M University $1,128,957
3. Joseph Alutto* Ohio State University $996,169
4. Elson Floyd Washington State University $877,250
5. Paula Allen-Meares* University of Illinois at Chicago $872,458
6. Francisco G. Cigarroa* University of Texas System $864,660
7. Renu Khator University of Houston $850,000
8. Patrick Harker University of Delaware $800,156
9. Charles W. Steger* Virginia Tech $745,195
10. Robert Witt University of Alabama $745,000
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:43 pm

I believe a new thread should be created: "Is Turner over-compensated?" with a poll attached.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:58 pm

Off topic, but I think it's a sad state of affairs when we're talking about our universities, and I draw various conclusions from the way Presidents of universities are paid vs college coaches.

two macros thoughts:
1. we live in an upside down world where college coaches earn more than university presidents
2. college programs feel they have to compete with professional programs (NFL, NBA) in order to keep marquee coaches

SMU specific:
1. we overpay our president vs. other academic institutions. how do we pay Turner more than schools like UChicago, Northwestern and all the ivies?
2. how do we underpay our coach to try to get us to a better conference, yet how do we reconcile that this will mean paying a coach more than our university president? It's just a sad state of affairs.

Universities are academic first institutions where sports are meant to complement the school experience and give everyone a more well-rounded experience, but as a society we have let this get to a place where sports have become more important than academics, which leads to misaligned objectives and priorities.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby SMU21TCU10 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:02 pm

Mexmustang wrote:When your head coach is seen cursing the pictures of the last two head coaches, shouting, "I should have listened, I should have listened", six months into the job you know he hated the place. And this time even Randy Allen is leaving....everyone wants out!

Did this actually happen?
SMU21TCU10
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dwan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:16 pm

The sad reality is that he really hated it here and regretted leaving Clemson, if he stayed he could have won a national title, and he wanted to get out of here ASAP. The why of this is more on our University than him, but it doesnt change the fact. Its not a mistake that he did not say a thanks for the memories message.
Dwan
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:25 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:Off topic, but I think it's a sad state of affairs when we're talking about our universities, and I draw various conclusions from the way Presidents of universities are paid vs college coaches.

two macros thoughts:
1. we live in an upside down world where college coaches earn more than university presidents
2. college programs feel they have to compete with professional programs (NFL, NBA) in order to keep marquee coaches

SMU specific:
1. we overpay our president vs. other academic institutions. how do we pay Turner more than schools like UChicago, Northwestern and all the ivies?
2. how do we underpay our coach to try to get us to a better conference, yet how do we reconcile that this will mean paying a coach more than our university president? It's just a sad state of affairs.

Universities are academic first institutions where sports are meant to complement the school experience and give everyone a more well-rounded experience, but as a society we have let this get to a place where sports have become more important than academics, which leads to misaligned objectives and priorities.

And the whole thing is a farce anyway - since the athletes on the field with very few exceptions are not students. They are semi pro players with one goal - professional sports. I enjoy the sport as much as anyone, but I don't pretend anything close to 15% of them are really students.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:32 pm

Stallion wrote:Who the [deleted] cares-nobody except the retired blue-hairs at the Mustang Club Social. SMU didn't raise the coaching staffs salary for 3 years and Morris and staff earned every penny of their paychecks. It obviously didn't mean much to the SMU Boosters so why do we expect them to say goodbye to anyone but the players and Football staff. Loyalty is a 2 way street. I'm proud of the job that staff did for our university-no one will ever work harder. I'm embarrassed for my university their efforts weren't recognized. We're even-later

Sometimes I see where you are coming from, but this is hogwash (see what I did there?)

Even if we accept that he "earned" 2 million a year while he was here (I could work 24/7 and not earn that much), anyone involved in sports of any kind should feel gratitude to the fans in the stands. Sports are played by players, coached by coaches, and watched by fans. The fans spent money on the Chad Morris era, they didn't make it. To ignore the fans who supported the team from the stands is classless. Plain and simple.

The shortcomings of the administration and/or boosters (a whole other conversation) do not negate the appreciation he should have for the fans that supported his team.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 78pony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:33 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:Off topic, but I think it's a sad state of affairs when we're talking about our universities, and I draw various conclusions from the way Presidents of universities are paid vs college coaches.

two macros thoughts:

SMU specific:

RE: SMU specifics

Item 1). The guy is genius. He essentially hand-picked his bosses (BoT). And once he had a critical mass or it's equivalent (I will refrain from specific names), then he could have called a presser to announce to the world; "I will leave when I get good and ready to go. Not a minute before. You may address me going forward as President Bullet-Proof Turner. Now, lets get back to work and design some more gazebos and water fountains."
78pony
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:44 pm

That is all too real for this board.

Orsini tried to win and look what happened to him. Oh wait i forgot that everyone hates him too.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby 78pony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:51 pm

So true, Mex.

FYI, I think you meant Ross.
78pony
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:59 pm

Wow Randy's like a fixture
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football