PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is the AD floating a Traylor trial balloon?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Is the AD floating a Traylor trial balloon?

Postby skyscraper » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:59 pm

I am shocked about the amount of chatter and hype a man with no coaching or coordinator experience at the college level is getting.
There have been articles on the DMN website and the payboards touting and discussing the plusses of Jeff Traylor becoming head coach.
Is this a trial balloon?
I feel crazy, but this sounds like a disaster in waiting. How is this not going to be another Todd Dodge type hire? A coach learning how to coach at the college level can't possibly carry forward the momentum we have.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Is the AD floating a Traylor trial balloon?

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:03 pm

Yes it is being leaked to sources to gauge fan/media reaction. Standard operating procedure.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby ojaipony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:09 pm

Stallion, what would you like to see happen? Who would you get?
ojaipony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:16 pm

While it comes across as lazy to me, it seems if you can't get Orlando, Sumlin, or maybe even Graham then it seems it would be better for him to take over for the short-term. Until either funding goes up for a new coach or someone who's got a lot of promise at lower base right now would be interested in SMU comes along, we might be stuck with him. I bet you anything this bowl game is a trial run to see how he does. I think as long as it's a close loss or better, he might get it.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:21 pm

IF Traylor coaches the team in Frisco and they perform well and win the game and IF he can help SMU hold this recruiting class together and IF he can convince Hart that he can assemble a staff that can keep some recruiting momentum going...then I am O.K. with SMU giving him a shot at the HC position. Have to wonder who he might retain from the existing staff that Morris doesn't think highly enough of to take them with him to Arkansas.
Charleston Pony

Postby BIGHORSE » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:23 pm

If we do hire J.T., he must replace V.M.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:19 pm

if so this trial balloon may end up being a turd in the punchbowl.
redpony

Postby ObeyMyDog » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:22 pm

I am going to trial balloon Van Malone. Results speak for themselves.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:24 pm

Love the guy as OC. HC hire would feel like just trying to save money.

The real question is what is chad saying when candidates call him - which they will within 5 minutes of being contacted.
gostangs

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:24 pm

skyscraper wrote:I am shocked about the amount of chatter and hype a man with no coaching or coordinator experience at the college level is getting.
There have been articles on the DMN website and the payboards touting and discussing the plusses of Jeff Traylor becoming head coach.
Is this a trial balloon?
I feel crazy, but this sounds like a disaster in waiting. How is this not going to be another Todd Dodge type hire? A coach learning how to coach at the college level can't possibly carry forward the momentum we have.
How is it not going to be another Art Briles? (pre rapegate)
RGV Pony

Postby sail420s » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:35 pm

Everything I have heard says Hart wants a new coach named well before then.
sail420s
Varsity

Postby skyscraper » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:43 pm

I appreciate some people's sense of optimism. But when you leave the 1500 on the message boards and talk to people, they are surprised we'd hire someone with such little experience.
skyscraper

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:44 pm

skyscraper wrote:I am shocked about the amount of chatter and hype a man with no coaching or coordinator experience at the college level is getting.
Is this a trial balloon?

I don’t think that this would be Todd Dadge type hire because Traylor has college coaching experience at both UT and SMU.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:09 pm

RGV Pony wrote:
Is this a trial balloon?

If Traylor gets the job, both he and Briles would have been college RB coaches before HC.
Both were well respected in the TX HS coaching community. Traylor seems to be a better recruiter.

Briles had more skins on the wall at a bigger school (4A vs 3A). Both were highly successful.
Briles was a former UH football player. Had Yeoman's backing.
Briles had a highly touted son (Kendall) at UT playing in the secondary.
Briles flipped Kevin Kolb from OSU and was his four year starter from the first game.
Briles had an innovative offense. Is Traylor's as innovative relative to others?
Briles had a tough time assembling a good staff. Hired Philip Montgomery and others out of high school. May depend upon pay but where are the top contacts? UT? SMU?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby SmooBoy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:12 pm

tristatecoog wrote:
RGV Pony wrote:
Is this a trial balloon?

If Traylor gets the job, both he and Briles would have been college RB coaches before HC.
Both were well respected in the TX HS coaching community. Traylor seems to be a better recruiter.

Briles had more skins on the wall at a bigger school (4A vs 3A). Both were highly successful.
Briles was a former UH football player. Had Yeoman's backing.
Briles had a highly touted son (Kendall) at UT playing in the secondary.
Briles flipped Kevin Kolb from OSU and was his four year starter from the first game.
Briles had an innovative offense. Is Traylor's as innovative relative to others?
Briles had a tough time assembling a good staff. Hired Philip Montgomery and others out of high school. May depend upon pay but where are the top contacts? UT? SMU?

*Briles had multiple rapes going on around his program for years and did nothing about it. (fixed the list for ya)
SmooBoy

Next

Return to Football