PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is the AD floating a Traylor trial balloon?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Is the AD floating a Traylor trial balloon?

Postby mustangxc » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:51 pm

If he knows who he wants and it’s not Traylor I would rather bring in the new head coach ASAP to salvage our commitments prior to early signing date and if we don’t have any remaining coaches for the bowl game so be it. Bring in a couple honorary captains to coach the bowl game. Trust our players.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:58 pm

Agreed XC. It needs to happen ASAP but that’s why I think Traylor is auditioning at the moment because he would be cheaper and continuing as mini-chad.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Silk » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:14 am

Does anyone think Traylor might have been promised the job already? If he really had offers to go to Arkansas and Mizzou, I wonder if he feels really confident that he'll get the head coach job.

Then again, if that kind of a deal were in place, you'd think they would announce it immediately for the sake of recruiting.
Silk
Varsity

Postby redpony » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:13 am

Makes you wonder if any kind of decision has been made. Hard to believe that hart was still interviewing people as late as yesterday. He had plenty of notice that cm was going to leave and IMO he should have been more proactive. In the meantime we lose more recruits.
redpony

Postby JasonB » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:47 am

Rebel10 wrote:
JasonB wrote:I don't know if it would be a good decision or not - just saying that is why he was originally brought in.

Our head coaches still have to fight a lot of battles against the administration; it requires skins on the wall to be able to do that. That would be my biggest misgiving to a Traylor hire.

Skins on the wall mean nothing. As Mexmustang has pointed out the administration is going to do what they are going to do regardless. CM got the IPF nailed down. I thought you said Todd Orlando would be a good hire.

The commitments that would need to be made to Orlando would be on the same level as those made to Morris. Traylor would not be in as powerful a position.

Our sports situation is unique. We aren't willing to take a "football before everything" attitude. We are willing to do stuff to allow football to be successful. It is a different attitude than Chad saw at Clemson. It will be different for anyone who comes here from a major university.

It is possible to be successful - see basketball. But it requires a position of power and skillful negotiation. Hart understands that and tried to serve as a buffer between Morris and the administration. Part of Morris' frustration with Hart is that Hart didn't push hard enough for certain things. But that is because Hart looks at the long term and understands that negotiation is important. My concern is that if a Traylor is brought in, he wouldn't have a position of strength against the administration and it would hamper the ability of the football program and Hart to negotiate for what it needs.
JasonB

Previous

Return to Football