PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

One Thing is for sure

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: One Thing is for sure

Postby leopold » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:40 am

Not disagreeing with you.

But I can't believe that a whole lot of people saw Rich Brooks getting Kentucky going in the right direction, while Joker Phillips was going to be an absolute flop.

Got to pull the trigger on someone, hope to prove the numbers wrong.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Topper » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:04 am

An uninspiring list of potentials. I have nothing in particular against Dykes other than I felt that Cal was in a position to break out of its endless rut given the over-all quality of the PAC 12 the past 3 years. Couldn't pull it off. We are either going to get a young guy with a lot of energy who will only be here 3 or 4 years or an older guy with solid credentials, and no learning curve who relies on the younger assistants to recruit.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby MV pony » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:01 pm

One thing for sure is that the football program's success or failure is going to be Turner's legacy. First Pye, then Turner. I've probably got 15 years on Mrydel so my time frame is shortened. I'd die happy to see SMU as a P5 even as a bottom feeder. In fact, it would probably give me the fatal coronary. :?
MV pony
All-American

Postby Nacho » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:13 pm

Hiring an assistant is a huge crapshoot.
Hiring a former head coach let's you know basically what you're getting. Successful schools want to hire head coaches but will go the assistant route only if they have to.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:22 pm

Not true-the best AAC hires have been the hot-shot young Offensive Coordinator.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Unflinchinghope32 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:19 pm

How is no one discussing Craig Bohl. Situationally he would be an incredible fit to smu. He has overcome similar obstacles in his career that we have at smu. One, he is able to win without stealing top notch players from big schools. He’s been at schools that have faced a challenge in recruiting with regards to being at a school where it’s an uphill battle enticing top tier talent. He hasn’t had to depend on alumni for success either. He also HASNT been fired from his current position and has been winning.
Unflinchinghope32

Postby redpony » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:34 pm

good resume but no Tx. connection. Could he be successful recruiting here with no contacts. guess he would have to bring in staff with lots of Tx. relations.
redpony

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:38 pm

Unflinchinghope32 wrote:How is no one discussing Craig Bohl. Situationally he would be an incredible fit to smu. He has overcome similar obstacles in his career that we have at smu. One, he is able to win without stealing top notch players from big schools. He’s been at schools that have faced a challenge in recruiting with regards to being at a school where it’s an uphill battle enticing top tier talent. He hasn’t had to depend on alumni for success either. He also HASNT been fired from his current position and has been winning.

Bohls would be good but wouldn’t that be a lateral move to come to SMU?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby sbsmith » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:53 pm

Unflinchinghope32 wrote:How is no one discussing Craig Bohl.

Pushing 60, the G5 coaches that have been mentioned are a lot younger and more progressive offensively. Damn good football coach though.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby HubbaHubba » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:02 pm

How about Chris Kleiman? Bohl disciple. Doing great at North Dakota State. DC background. Would need TX recruiters on staff.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Previous

Return to Football