PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

So, is it Sonny Dykes?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: So, is it Sonny Dykes?

Postby 82Pony » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:33 pm

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... tin-wilcox

"Dykes signed an extension with the Bears in March 2016. Cal sources said a “gentleman’s agreement” was in place: Dykes wouldn’t chase other jobs. But anxiety grew in the AD’s office when Rhoades was hired by Baylor in July.

“It was the idea of facing down another offseason of rumors with Baylor, not to mention the potential of Texas Tech [Dykes’ alma mater] opening next season,” one source said."

Anybody else find it ironic that Sonny was fired from Cal for courting the Baylor job?
82Pony
Varsity

Postby ender3 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:36 pm

Technically, that's not what the clip you posted said.

He was fired because they thought he would court Baylor or Tech. Not because he did.
Stallion doesn't think I'm a stinkin' genius anymore.
ender3
All-American

Postby Pony81 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:42 pm

I think Sonny is a good hire. He may not be getting our top dollar to come but he knows if he is scuucessful that he will get top G5 pay.....
SMU has its issues but we do pay well and coaches can attract a decent staff.
Because we have a top G5 pay package we don’t need to take a risk on a HS coach who has never been a coordinator at the college level.
Sumlin and Graham wouldn’t be happy here and with their buyout riches from the previous job may not have much motivation.

So, Sonny is a good hire. Didn’t get rich at Cal, and likely wants to prove he can build a program and coach.
Chad was a miracle worker taking June’s mess and fielding a capable team with an exciting offense. But, let’s face it - Cinci and Tulane could easily be Loses and we could be 5-7. So, we are a lot better but hardly great.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby ponypatrick » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:55 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Because LA tech was a sunbelt team that slightly upgrade to CUSA (nu-sun belt). Once he got to the P5 level, he crashed in a mediocre P5 conference. This is like June Jone .5. 2.0 would sound like an upgrade... Hiring this guy sounds like Rick Hart and SMU have given up on wanting to be a P6 school and just want to coast into the new FCS.

Easy does it..........pop a valium and take a nap
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby oilpony » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:58 pm

Unflinchinghope32 wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
mustangxc wrote:What has been embarrassing about this search?

Just my opinion on the optics.

Last time we made a hire we had a very public choice of the top two coveted P5 coordinators.

This time it has the feel of taking the only one interested which is strange since the job should theoretically be very desirable right now.

Obviously, I don't know all of the details but in my opinion it just looks bad.

Dykes may do great - this certainly isn't going to change my support of the program or anything.

HOW HAVE WE GIVEN NO ATTENTION TO BOHL AT WYOMING.

How do you know we didn't reach out to him?
oilpony
All-American

Postby 82Pony » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:08 pm

ender3 wrote:Technically, that's not what the clip you posted said.

He was fired because they thought he would court Baylor or Tech. Not because he did.

Technically you are correct. So they fired him for something he didn't do but, thought he might. That's tough love. :shock:
82Pony
Varsity

Postby ericdickerson4life » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:10 pm

Bohl is 59, his only connection with Texas is a 4 year stint at Rice back when some on this board were in diapers (1989-1993).

He doesn't really check off a lot of boxes.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:13 pm

if i'm not mistaken dykes spurned us for cal. he was a hot commodity then. we are lucky to have him.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ericdickerson4life » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:21 pm

Maybe not lucky, but we can at least give the guy a chance instead of begging for a high school coach to come do the job or throwing our hands in the air saying "I quit".

I like people that have failure in there life. If they can learn from that experience they can grow and overcome future adversity. Understanding one's weaknesses is big. Dykes could very well be a much better coach now than we he left to go to Cal. Let's just hope he's learned something.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby Digetydog » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:23 pm

ericdickerson4life wrote:Maybe not lucky, but we can at least give the guy a chance instead of begging for a high school coach to come do the job or throwing our hands in the air saying "I quit".

I like people that have failure in there life. If they can learn from that experience they can grow and overcome future adversity. Understanding one's weaknesses is big. Dykes could very well be a much better coach now than we he left to go to Cal. Let's just hope he's learned something.

A kid from West Texas got a big time job at UC - Berkeley and discovered he didn't like it. Later, the Berkeley people discovered they didn't like him. Is anyone shocked by the fact that it was a bad fit?
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Comet » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:27 pm

Digetydog wrote:
ericdickerson4life wrote:Maybe not lucky, but we can at least give the guy a chance instead of begging for a high school coach to come do the job or throwing our hands in the air saying "I quit".

A kid from West Texas got a big time job at UC - Berkeley and discovered he didn't like it. Later, the Berkeley people discovered they didn't like him. Is anyone shocked by the fact that it was a bad fit?

Even when it went down people were saying it was an odd fit
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:30 pm

So everyone can go on record now and we'll know who was right and who was wrong in 1-2 years. Put me in the "I disagree with the Sonny Dykes hire" camp. I hope I'm eating crow soon.
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTime » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:35 pm

ojaipony wrote:So everyone can go on record now and we'll know who was right and who was wrong in 1-2 years. Put me in the "I disagree with the Sonny Dykes hire" camp. I hope I'm eating crow soon.

What qualifies as success? Winning 7 games against bottom feeders and going to the Frisco Bowl? I am pretty sure that Sonny could guide us to that at a minimum in three years.

If he cannot, then he is less successful than coach Morris (and JJ).
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:52 pm

PonyTime wrote:
ojaipony wrote:So everyone can go on record now and we'll know who was right and who was wrong in 1-2 years. Put me in the "I disagree with the Sonny Dykes hire" camp. I hope I'm eating crow soon.

What qualifies as success? Winning 7 games against bottom feeders and going to the Frisco Bowl? I am pretty sure that Sonny could guide us to that at a minimum in three years.

If he cannot, then he is less successful than coach Morris (and JJ).

Yeah, we're shooting for better than some of the bottom feeders (in three years)! If that's how high we're raising the bar, Dykes stands a chance.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:57 pm

ponypatrick wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:Because LA tech was a sunbelt team that slightly upgrade to CUSA (nu-sun belt). Once he got to the P5 level, he crashed in a mediocre P5 conference. This is like June Jone .5. 2.0 would sound like an upgrade... Hiring this guy sounds like Rick Hart and SMU have given up on wanting to be a P6 school and just want to coast into the new FCS.

Easy does it..........pop a valium and take a nap

I'm calm but disappointed. It feels like we are fine with mediocrity and we have funding issues. Again, calm just disappointed.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football