PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sonny's Staff

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sonny's Staff

Postby Comet » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:33 pm

For what its worth, that Dykes article posted here also mentioned that Sumlin was offered and wasn't interested in us right now. This is our reality now.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:37 pm

mustangxc wrote:Pete Carroll was a failed coach after his first stint in the NFL.

I'm assuming when he failed in the NFL and then landed a job at USC, right? I think that's apples to oranges comparison to fail at the NFL level and get a big time college job. Whereas Sonny recruited not very well at LA tech got some okay wins but only had one decent record in the WAC but found a way out to Cal. Where having the P5 benefits, he didn't even do very well except for academic standards. Then failed into an analyst job at TCU. Pete Carroll didn't take a lowly job like that.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:33 pm

Comet wrote:For what its worth, that Dykes article posted here also mentioned that Sumlin was offered and wasn't interested in us right now. This is our reality now.

Exactly, that's what folks need to recognize. The "top" options won't consider SMU at this time.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Boston Pony » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

First - not a failure at Cal, just a terrible career decision, much like Belichick going to the Browns (remember, he also got fired).
Second - Analyst at TCU, actually a normal landing place for HC's that are waiting for opportunities. Examples are Sarkasian (sorry spelling) and Kiffin both did it at Alabama. My guess is if you want to get back to Texas in January after all of the OC jobs have been filled, TCU Analyst is a pretty good landing place. By the way with $5+ million buyout, no reason to rush into any job at the time.
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby ericdickerson4life » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:06 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:failed into an analyst job at TCU. Pete Carroll didn't take a lowly job like that.

We get it, unless it was Orlando you were going to be pissed. Now you want a guy to be the head coach of our school that has never even been a coordinator at a G5 school, much less had the track record and experience of Dykes. You're emotional. Reminding me of the two times my wife was pregnant and drove me nuts every day with the wild swings of emotion.

You do realize that coaches take this "low level" analyst positions and go on to succeed right? The first name off the top of my head I can think of is Steve Sarkisian. I'm guessing there are more out there just don't want to research any. I would actually think that if you can't find the right job right after losing your last job, this is the perfect spot that lets you remain in the game but can take a step back and decompress from your last stint. Plenty of time to prepare for the next job, no hard feelings when you leave the school you're at to take the new job, etc.

I also love how some, including myself, want Kiffin but dismisses Dykes off hand. Kiffin had two 10 wins season as a head coach one at USC in his second year and this season at FAU. The rest were sitting right there at 7-6 territory in the weak [deleted] PAC12 with one of the nation's top programs and all it's resources.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:08 pm

Kiffen will be a P5 Coach next year. If Kiffen had come to SMU, he would be a P5 Coach next year.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ericdickerson4life » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:14 pm

Agreed. Just stating that throwing around records and saying someone can't coach is not a very good argument. There are always other circumstances that affect record, many of which the head coach does not control.

Not too mention football is really tough to analyze. Statistically playing 12 games a year isn't really significant. So someone could appear good or bad for a year or two and it could be a statistical outlier due to the small sample size.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby Digetydog » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:16 pm

lollaperuna wrote:
BRStang wrote:I would have to think Van Malone DOES NOT HAVE ANY CHANCE of being retained. Although, this is SMU. No amount of incompetency surprises me when it comes to SMU football.

Chad is taking Van to Arkansas so you can all rest easy now.

Taking Van or taking "a Van" to Arkansas?
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:18 pm

mrydel wrote:Kiffen will be a P5 Coach next year. If Kiffen had come to SMU, he would be a P5 Coach next year.

If we had hired Kiffen, we might have had to hire a new coach before the 2018 season. They guy cannot keep a job - fired or quit.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:38 pm

"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:04 pm

ericdickerson4life wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:failed into an analyst job at TCU. Pete Carroll didn't take a lowly job like that.

We get it, unless it was Orlando you were going to be pissed. Now you want a guy to be the head coach of our school that has never even been a coordinator at a G5 school, much less had the track record and experience of Dykes. You're emotional. Reminding me of the two times my wife was pregnant and drove me nuts every day with the wild swings of emotion.

You do realize that coaches take this "low level" analyst positions and go on to succeed right? The first name off the top of my head I can think of is Steve Sarkisian. I'm guessing there are more out there just don't want to research any. I would actually think that if you can't find the right job right after losing your last job, this is the perfect spot that lets you remain in the game but can take a step back and decompress from your last stint. Plenty of time to prepare for the next job, no hard feelings when you leave the school you're at to take the new job, etc.

I also love how some, including myself, want Kiffin but dismisses Dykes off hand. Kiffin had two 10 wins season as a head coach one at USC in his second year and this season at FAU. The rest were sitting right there at 7-6 territory in the weak [deleted] PAC12 with one of the nation's top programs and all it's resources.

Hey to be fair, I would have taken Traylor as a bye for next year to see what's available then and see how he performs. I'm passionate about us going in the right direction rather settling for mediocrity. It's the same emotion as I felt about keeping JJ around after the debacle. Call it for what you want, but it's the same feeling. It's just crazy we took a crucial OC from national winning team (Clemson) and we can only get an analyst/failed coach from Cal. I mean tell me how that makes sense. What changed? It either funding or being lazy. I understand not going after Kiffin because of the jumping factor but isn't this the same way with Dykes if he were to have a good year with Chad's recruits.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:08 pm

Well you were wrong about Morris not leaving after this season. Maybe you are wrong about Dykes.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:10 pm

mustangxc wrote:Well you were wrong about Morris not leaving after this season. Maybe you are wrong about Dykes.

That's true I admit I was wrong. He was able to get on the last or 2nd last train out. I still confident he won't but I would love to be dead wrong about Dykes. Absolutely. I would love nothing more than everyone showing my posts about Dykes because he got us top 50 recruiting class and got us to 8 or 9 wins next year.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ericdickerson4life » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:13 pm

Well...maybe not next year.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby feelan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:14 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
mustangxc wrote:Well you were wrong about Morris not leaving after this season. Maybe you are wrong about Dykes.

That's true I admit I was wrong. He was able to get on the last or 2nd last train out. I still confident he won't but I would love to be dead wrong about Dykes. Absolutely. I would love nothing more than everyone showing my posts about Dykes because he got us top 50 recruiting class and got us to 8 or 9 wins next year.

Do you think Morris was going to get us 8-9 wins next year, realistically? With Michigan on the schedule?
feelan
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football