PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sonny Supporters Unite Here

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sonny Supporters Unite Here

Postby AustinPerson » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:30 am

Back when Sonny was at La Tech, we would have killed to have him. He was a hot commodity.

He wasn't that bad at Cal. Cal is a disaster. They may end up dropping football one day before SMU does. What a financial disaster that football program is. Plus, Sonny kept trying to interview and get back to Texas. The crazy AD at Cal ran him off.

We'll probably get a decent number of years out of Sonny. He isn't dumb; he's probably been thinking about a staff for a while now. And he has Texas ties.

I don't know that Chad Morris and his staff really accomplished all that much at SMU. Sure, much better than June Jones and his dumpster fire in the end. But Chad barely won 7 games. Not much to show. And nobody wants half of his staff. (Not sure that it was a very talented staff in the first place.)

Sonny sounds fine to me. Sorry to hear that so many SMU alumni are planning on killing themselves today over this choice. With a dozen suicides, our fan base will be cut in half.
AustinPerson
All-American

Re: Sonny Supporters Unite Here

Postby Nacho » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:31 am

I predicted it and am happy with sonny.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BRStang » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:33 am

I will support Sonny Dykes if he is the next SMU coach. I will hope and pray for the best, while expecting the worst. Like everyone here, I have battered-SMU-fan syndrome. (BSFS)
Last edited by BRStang on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geaux MUSTANGS! Geaux Tigers!
BRStang
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:33 am

He is not my first choice, but I am ok with him.
mustangxc

Postby SMU89 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Let's roll.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
SMU89

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:36 am

"Despite coaching his team to a losing record, LA Tech's offense improved in several areas of the NCAA statistical ranks including passing offense (91st in 2009 to 62nd in 2010) and total offense (66th to 52nd) while the team's average offensive national rank improved from 65th in 2009 to 54th in 2010." Chad got us to what 8th in the nation in 3 years from a dumpster fire.

"Dykes' first season marked the first time since Cal began playing football in 1886 that the team failed to defeat a single D-1 FBS opponent in a season that has lasted at least five games."

"the Golden Bears surrendered 367.2 passing yards per game and 42 total passing touchdowns, both ranked last out of 128 FBS teams"

"With a 48–46 win over Arizona State on Senior Day, Cal finished the regular season with a 7–5 record, clinching their first winning season since 2011.[36] Nevertheless, Cal finished the season in the bottom half of the Pac-12 standings for the third time in three years under Dykes."

His last job was a low-level analyst at TCU. I thought RB coach to HC sounded silly, but this one takes the cake!

Great waste of money SMU. Fantastic.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:37 am

This is the last straw!!!! I AM DONE SUPPORTING SMU! :? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:37 am

I'm fine with this choice as we will be getting a guy with Texas ties and also experience as a HC. Those who knock his success at Cal need to understand who he was competing against and the uneven playing field he was dealing with. Just a word of warning, though...the naysayers will be out in droves next year because looking at our schedule, I would not be shocked to see this team sink to as low as a 2-10 record. If Dykes can come in here and get this team to 6-6 next year, he will have proven to me that he and his staff were much better than Chad and his. I think Chad was more desperate to bail on SMU than most of us realize.
Charleston Pony

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:38 am

AustinPerson wrote:Sonny kept trying to interview and get back to Texas

Is that why he interviewed at Missouri, Virginia, and South Carolina?
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:43 am

Think I am now in this camp - posted this elsewhere - but here is why...

The win total increases at both LA Tech and Cal are as impressive as Chad's. He has also won more conference titles and Bowl games than Chad. Did not realize that he took over at LA Tech after Derrek Dooley bolted for Tennessee...interesting similarity there...

More importantly, the teams that he beat are MUCH MORE impressive than Chad's wins...

At LA Tech - he beat Ole Miss, Houston, Illinois, Virginia, and almost knocked off TCU and A&M (lost by 2 to Johnny football I believe).

At Cal - Beat University of Texas TWICE among an assortment of Pac 12 teams.

The season he was fired - he beat #11 and #18 teams.

He obviously was not a good fit for Cal.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:46 am

He’s a great fit as an analyst for TCU. No coaching. Just analyzing. TCU helping us out again...
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:47 am

Charleston Pony wrote:I'm fine with this choice as we will be getting a guy with Texas ties and also experience as a HC. Those who knock his success at Cal need to understand who he was competing against and the uneven playing field he was dealing with. Just a word of warning, though...the naysayers will be out in droves next year because looking at our schedule, I would not be shocked to see this team sink to as low as a 2-10 record. If Dykes can come in here and get this team to 6-6 next year, he will have proven to me that he and his staff were much better than Chad and his. I think Chad was more desperate to bail on SMU than most of us realize.

I agree.
mustangxc

Postby skyscraper » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:51 am

I support SMU, so I will always cheer for our team.
But he is on thin ice with a lot of fans. I hope it works.
skyscraper

Postby sail420s » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:55 am

His history of a bottom 10 defense at Cal...not the side of the ball we wanted to keep rolling as is.
sail420s
Varsity

Postby peruna81 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:56 am

checks the boxes:

1. Texas HS connections...

2. Offense minded...

3. Worked on multiple staffs...knows who can get the job done...

4. The only negative?
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football