PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I genuinely don't get it…

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: I genuinely don't get it…

Postby ericdickerson4life » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:24 pm

Orlando said no?! Say it ain't so. I really wish this search could have been more public so I could hear about all the rejections we received ala Tennessee. Way to go AD RH. Did we even approach Gruden?
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby Digetydog » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:51 pm

ericdickerson4life wrote:You state that like the coaches that are available, Sumlin for example, don't have any other options. We might be the only one looking now but Sumlin can afford to sit out a year and go after something better next year. And I would especially think that a coach like Sumlin or a top up and coming coordinator would be looking at the realistic chance to be 5-7 next season and appearing to regress as more of a negative and willing to wait it out a year for a better opportunity.

Maybe, just maybe, we got extremely lucky landing Chad. And we just aren't that lucky this time around.

Sumlin has $$ millions coming in from the Aggie buyout. Furthermore, he allegedly has personal issues that need resolved. He was probably going to take the year off no matter what.

He had no incentive to rush into a new job.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:54 pm

Comet wrote:
HubbaHubba wrote:ALL coaches are available it seems. I just didn't realize we are that awful that we can not realistically expect to get anyone better. If it is Dykes vs leaving the position unfilled I guess he's a great hire!

Rumors are that Sumlin and Orlando both said no to SMU. So give us a list of available coaches who want this job.

It is obvious that no other coaches wanted this job (or we didn't look hard). That is why we settled for this guy.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby ender3 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:26 pm

Add to my list:

It really seems the same people are saying "We're going to regress, only win 4 next year" and "Dykes is disloyal, he'll leave us for Texas Tech next year"

I got news for you folks: If Tech hires him away after 1 year, it's because he won 9 games. I may be off by one, but to win 9, you gotta go undefeated in conference, or you have to beat either TCU or Michigan, and have only 1 loss in conference. I'd be happy with either result.
Stallion doesn't think I'm a stinkin' genius anymore.
ender3
All-American

Postby Three Putt » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:35 pm

Sumlin is holding out for an NFL job. He was never coming to SMU.
Three Putt
Junior Varsity

Previous

Return to Football