PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Player mutiny over Dykes?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Player mutiny over Dykes?

Postby Puckhead48E » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:42 am

If you think this is similar to JJ...oh goodness, there may be no hope. We are in a good position. Former coach left for bigger pastures...shocking as that may be to occur at a non-P5 school. New hire is not the interim coach, the only remaining offensive coach left from the prior regime, and players are angry. Traylor leaving before the bowl, after being offered to stay by Dykes, is the final nail in the "Coach Morris et al are all about family before anything else, gotta love the players" coffin. These kids are going to be angry for a bit...they went from being physically and emotionally invested in a big season where they returned to a bowl game, to losing their head coach and majority of their offensive staff, to losing the only guy who stayed around (really, he didn't...was at the Morris presser at UA and tried to use that as leverage to get hired). The press release proves that Dykes offered Traylor a spot to stay and coach through the bowl game...he left instead. Kids are lashing out now, but they will soon realize that the Morris family hype train was just that...all hype.

And for those who remain in some super-special Traylor hype-team...if he departs here and remains in some similar position at UA...that's all you need to know. Morris didn't even deem him good enough to replace Craddock at OC. He was offered a chance to get a successful bowl game under his belt as a coach, no matter the situation, and he turned that and the players down. All you need to know.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby SMUer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:58 am

Would JJ have been a disaster if he surrounded himself with young/energetic recruiters? Would he have been a disaster if he picked a coordinator who is an up-and-comer and a potential coach-in-waiting? I’ll see how all the pieces fit before I say the sky is falling.
Last edited by SMUer on Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMUer
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:09 am

JJ with the proper staff would have landed us in a New Year's Six Bowl game. If Sonny Dykes can get Pete Golding to be our Defensive Coordinator and can surround himself with 4-5 young aggressive Texas recruiters this could become a home run hire. One can hope!
mustangxc

Postby SMUer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:19 am

Thankfully/unfortunately we know what “mailing it in” as far as position coach hires looks like
SMUer

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:41 am

SMUer wrote:Would JJ have been a disaster if he surrounded himself with young/energetic recruiters? Would he have been a disaster if he picked a coordinator who is an up-and-comer and a potential coach-in-waiting? I’ll see how all the pieces fit before I say the sky is falling.

If the head coach is a lazy recruiter it would have filtered down. JJ did not have good relations with local coaches and was no longer playing UTEP and Rice. He also wanted to be mr ego on offense and wanted all the credit on offense. His offenses were not as good as Bennett’s offense as Couchem’s analysis showed. We would have never gotten to a New Year’s game with him but would have possibly gone 6 maybe 7 wins in the AAC. Remember 7 wins was the most regular season wins that JJ ever got at SMU in a weak CUSA. I believe Dykes will do better young recruiters or not.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:07 am

mustangxc wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Easy to understand the emotional reaction from our players...look at the emotional reaction from so many people posting on this board...and some are presumably adults. Players are young and this is just one of many lessons they will have in life. How they respond to change is always a test of character.

Will be interesting to see how our guys perform in the bowl game. One thing we all know is that winning is a cure all. Win or lose, should be an interesting off season and spring practice. Mission remains far from accomplished and at least we know Coach Dykes will be on board and presumably giving his best effort to improve the program. Remains to be seen what players are going to dedicate themselves to that mission and which ones are going to sulk and not give their best.

So many people? SMU_Alum11 posting his outrage 100 times across twitter and different threads does not constitute a lot of people. It is a loud minority. By and large our fans are ok with the hire. I don't think anyone has said this was a home run hire, but most of us are open to giving Dykes a chance to prove himself at SMU.

While he is the one in full melt down mode, there are others complaining (4 D's and 3 F's in the poll) and one leading a charge to cancel season tickets. I agree that, from the poll, most of our most hard coree fans are rational and interested in seeing how this plays out. We got a guy with HC experience at the G5 and P5 level and Texas ties. Not bad.
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:21 am

If Coach Dykes wins 8 regular season wins that will be the most single reason wins in over 30 years. Not saying that it will happen Next year but under Dykes I think we have a good chance. And CM gave him a good foundation to build on.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Nacho » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:27 am

chad? chad who?
Nacho

Postby mustangxc » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:09 am

Rebel10 wrote:If Coach Dykes wins 8 regular season wins that will be the most single reason wins in over 30 years. Not saying that it will happen Next year but under Dykes I think we have a good chance. And CM gave him a good foundation to build on.

June Jones proved that you can consistently win 7 games per season and regularly attend a bowl game at SMU. Morris got us back to that level. I will consider this hire successful if we can improve on that win total and consistently reach a new threshold before Dykes SMU.
mustangxc

Postby Comet » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:18 am

BRStang wrote:I didn't see anything in those posts that would suggest mutiny. Good lord. Some of you people seem to want us to fail.

If you're talking about me (I made the OP), I don't want us to fail. I am finding it funny that our players are publicly saying this stuff and is more of me pointing out their lack of world experience rather than wanting us to fail. I am for the Dykes hiring and am excited at the prospect of a new DC.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:18 am

I will consider it a success if he can continue to keep good relationships with Texas high school coaches and get us to the highest regular season win total in about 30 years which is 8 in a tough league. And he does not have to do it next as it will be a transition year. Heck 6 or 7 in this league is tough. North Texas could not have gotten 9 wins in AAC like they did in CUSA this year. But we could always drop to CUSA and get to a bowl game consistently. :mrgreen:
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Previous

Return to Football