PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Player mutiny over Dykes?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Player mutiny over Dykes?

Postby JasonB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:13 pm

Don't blame the kids. They are just speaking their minds and with social media, their voices are actually heard. They have every right to voice their concerns.

Half the board was complaining about lack of a quick decision. Well, within a week is pretty damn quick.

If they didn't name him coach of the bowl game, half the board would be complaining about the former staff stealing players and recruits.

I trust the school. They have made several good hires in a row across the department. Hopefully they get this right and he brings in good assistants.

The Applewhite example isn't appropriate because of his history. A better comparison is the UH hire after Sumlin who was a disaster in one year. Internal hire, no experience, player support. SMU can't afford a mistake like that.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:13 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Stepp was going to coach the bowl with Traylor. Now this is old info.

Gotcha, thanks!
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Player mutiny over Dykes?

Postby mrydel » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:16 pm

If Traylor had expected there was any chance for him to be named HC, he would not have been at the Arkansas presser announcing Chad. Our only mistake was naming him interim coach. He was always leaving.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:18 pm

mrydel wrote:If Traylor had expected there was any chance for him to be named HC, he would not have been at the Arkansas presser announcing Chad. Our only mistake was naming him interim coach. He was always leaving.

Even if he had gotten the HC job?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby MV pony » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:18 pm

mrydel wrote:If Traylor had expected there was any chance for him to be named HC, he would not have been at the Arkansas presser announcing Chad. Our only mistake was naming him interim coach. He was always leaving.

True.
MV pony
All-American

Postby mrydel » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:21 pm

He was never going to get the HC job.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:43 pm

Arkansas fans are thrilled to have him. They really think we are [deleted] that we gave up a recruiter for a consultant.

Wow they are blowing up with excitement all of Adam’s tweets. My favorite “@AD_RickHart how did you F this up this bad...”
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:46 pm

They are pig fans. You expected intelligence?
gostangs

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:52 pm

gostangs wrote:They are pig fans. You expected intelligence?

The only thing possible is football. Otherwise they make Tech look like nuclear scientists.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Treadway21 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:55 pm

Your outrage is getting boring.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:01 pm

Treadway21 wrote:Your outrage is getting boring.

Lol, your baseless optimism is boring. #BasketballSchool4Life
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Treadway21 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:04 pm

I haven't posted an opinion. But rage on.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:49 am

Easy to understand the emotional reaction from our players...look at the emotional reaction from so many people posting on this board...and some are presumably adults. Players are young and this is just one of many lessons they will have in life. How they respond to change is always a test of character.

Will be interesting to see how our guys perform in the bowl game. One thing we all know is that winning is a cure all. Win or lose, should be an interesting off season and spring practice. Mission remains far from accomplished and at least we know Coach Dykes will be on board and presumably giving his best effort to improve the program. Remains to be seen what players are going to dedicate themselves to that mission and which ones are going to sulk and not give their best.
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:07 am

I think people conflict over different perspectives. Some of you have see the truly horrid state of SMU football especially for long periods of time. Some of you have seen the rise and fall as well. For me I’ve really only seen the collapse of JJ. This one just feels like a carbon copy of him. I can completely understand why some of you are and will always be half glass full because of what you have seen for so long.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:33 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Easy to understand the emotional reaction from our players...look at the emotional reaction from so many people posting on this board...and some are presumably adults. Players are young and this is just one of many lessons they will have in life. How they respond to change is always a test of character.

Will be interesting to see how our guys perform in the bowl game. One thing we all know is that winning is a cure all. Win or lose, should be an interesting off season and spring practice. Mission remains far from accomplished and at least we know Coach Dykes will be on board and presumably giving his best effort to improve the program. Remains to be seen what players are going to dedicate themselves to that mission and which ones are going to sulk and not give their best.

So many people? SMU_Alum11 posting his outrage 100 times across twitter and different threads does not constitute a lot of people. It is a loud minority. By and large our fans are ok with the hire. I don't think anyone has said this was a home run hire, but most of us are open to giving Dykes a chance to prove himself at SMU.
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Football