PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Grade the Hiring of Sonny Dykes

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What Grade Would You Give to the Hiring of Sonny Dykes

A
17%
B
55%
C
20%
D
6%
F
3%

Total votes : 109

Re: Grade the Hiring of Sonny Dykes

Postby JasonB » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:22 pm

stc9 wrote:SMU has a bleak track record of making good decisions/Hires. So replacing a known, personable, hard working, and starting to successful HC throws us all into a tizzy.

What I would like to see at today's press conference is something similar to Chad. He has his staff en route to campus and are going to be out hitting the road first thing in the morning or have already been working the phones. Chad made a great first impression with this already at work approach.

Seriously? Which head coaching hire in the past 7 years has been a disaster?
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:35 pm

mrydel wrote:I do not think that many could consider Arkansas, or most other P5 schools as an alternative.

agreed....the vast majority of these players aren't going anywhere
the players on offense will love the new regime high scoring air-raid style
you cant allow the kids or internet posters to appoint the running backs coach as head coach
looking at our realistic options i am slowly liking the Dykes choice more and more
and remember almost any realistic HC choice they made would have upset some people
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby stc9 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:55 pm

JasonB wrote:
stc9 wrote:SMU has a bleak track record of making good decisions/Hires. So replacing a known, personable, hard working, and starting to successful HC throws us all into a tizzy.

What I would like to see at today's press conference is something similar to Chad. He has his staff en route to campus and are going to be out hitting the road first thing in the morning or have already been working the phones. Chad made a great first impression with this already at work approach.

I was taking a longer historical view.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby PoconoPony » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:18 pm

JasonB wrote:

The disaster was Hart extending JJ for 2 years at a time when anyone familiar with the program knew JJ had given up and ceased recruiting. I still hold Hart accountable for his failure to step up and call the shot on JJ.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:27 pm

PoconoPony wrote:
JasonB wrote:

The disaster was Hart extending JJ for 2 years at a time when anyone familiar with the program knew JJ had given up and ceased recruiting. I still hold Hart accountable for his failure to step up and call the shot on JJ.

+1
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:28 pm

correct me if I am wrong (like that wouldn't happen anyway) - but I believe Junes extension was before the ASU issue - which is why it was a problem. Couldn't fire him without massive penalty.

also - he had several of our VERY prominent alums in his corner, because even though it was obvious to us what was going on - he was good at sucking up to the money guys.
gostangs

Postby mustangxc » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:42 pm

I don't remember the specifics behind the extension, but keeping him on after the ASU fiasco was unforgivable. The ASU fiasco was under Orsini though.
mustangxc

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:19 pm

stc9 wrote:SMU has a bleak track record of making good decisions/Hires.

Not true, at least not recently. We make great hires (JJ, LB, CM), but where we falter is supporting those hires with what they feel they need to be successful (and appreciated). Our administration always seems to be a date late and a dollar short.

Mustangsabu wrote:
stc9 wrote:What I would like to see at today's press conference is something similar to Chad. He has his staff en route to campus and are going to be out hitting the road first thing in the morning or have already been working the phones. Chad made a great first impression with this already at work approach.

It's hard to say that going to a bowl game is unfortunate, but in a sense, it is.

I do feel like Morris is by far the better car salesman and his energy is amazing. But perhaps HCSD will be a bit more methodical in assembling his staff as opposed to just raiding the top coaches from area high schools and hitting the recruiting trail.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:38 pm

mustangxc wrote:I don't remember the specifics behind the extension, but keeping him on after the ASU fiasco was unforgivable. The ASU fiasco was under Orsini though.

SMU fired Orsini in May of 2012.
ASU pulled June Jones' offer in December of 2011.

So you have to credit:
    Orsini with JJ's contract extension
    RH for hiring Morris
    And as I continue to contend, a combination of UofHawaii's administration and Eric Dickerson for getting JJ to the Hilltop
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:27 pm

I think you have to credit Orsini for creating the circle of champions and bringing a very ambitious mindset to SMU athletics that hadn't been present since before the death penalty. Truthfully, the only reason there is disappointment in this hire is because of raised expectations thanks to Orsini. Our fans now hope/expect to compete for the best coaches in the country whereas before Orsini we would have had to accept hiring someone along the lines of what Rice has done in basketball and football in the last year.
mustangxc

Postby TwoTimeGrad » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:44 pm

We've got the formula right - recruit from this state and let the others fall in our laps or fall off. Looks like Dykes left Cal for the right reasons, the guy who hired him left and incompatible with the new boss. Todd Graham was my first choice, but Dykes can match it if he gets a strong staff (some defense, please!).
TwoTimeGrad
Scout Team

Previous

Return to Football