PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Grade the Hiring of Sonny Dykes

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What Grade Would You Give to the Hiring of Sonny Dykes

A
17%
B
55%
C
20%
D
6%
F
3%

Total votes : 109

Grade the Hiring of Sonny Dykes

Postby Stallion » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:11 pm

What Grade Would You Give to the Hiring of Sonny Dykes?
Last edited by Stallion on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Grade the Hiring of Sonny Dykes

Postby mustangxc » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:14 pm

I gave it a solid B. I know you are upset SMU didn't do everything possible and more to keep CM but what are your thoughts?
mustangxc

Postby SMUGradCox » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:15 pm

I give it a B. It's certainly not a splashy "holy sh*t" hire. But I think all things considered it's a good move. SMU still has a ways to go before we're a strong enough program to attract a top name or a top emerging name.

But this "I'm cancelling my season tickets over this hire" movement is crazy. What were our other options that you know we had a definitive shot at (and don't say Traylor-- I like Coach Traylor but that would have been a very risky hire)?
SMUGradCox
Scout Team

Postby Julian Grendel » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:16 pm

C+
Julian Grendel
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:18 pm

BTW you can change your grade if for example you see something like a assistant coaching staff or other criteria.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ojaipony » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:20 pm

Stallion, how'd you grade it?
ojaipony

Postby Comet » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:21 pm

It's a solid B to me. I remember these boards a couple years back and how badly everyone wanted him. He had a semi-successful stint at a place that is notoriously hard to win (academic standards, shrinking athletic budgets, etc.), so I can't hold that against him much - BUT it does make the hire a bit less sexy.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby stc9 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:34 pm

I'm somewhere between a C+ & B-. I didn't really like how things ended at Cal, he had 1 foot out of the door for a while. Cal also changed the academic standards on him after he signed on (I think twice). Cal had some money issues, so it was a really tough on the AD to cozy up to boosters when Dykes was Trying to jump ship.

I didn't grade this high, but I am cautiously optimistic.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:35 pm

Comet wrote:It's a solid B to me. I remember these boards a couple years back and how badly everyone wanted him. He had a semi-successful stint at a place that is notoriously hard to win (academic standards, shrinking athletic budgets, etc.), so I can't hold that against him much - BUT it does make the hire a bit less sexy.

We recruited him to coach at a place that is notoriously hard to win (academic standards, shrinking athletic budget, etc.), so I can hold that against him.
Solid D
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:35 pm

Probably the best SMU could do. I am free with it.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Comet » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:43 pm

HubbaHubba wrote:
Comet wrote:It's a solid B to me. I remember these boards a couple years back and how badly everyone wanted him. He had a semi-successful stint at a place that is notoriously hard to win (academic standards, shrinking athletic budgets, etc.), so I can't hold that against him much - BUT it does make the hire a bit less sexy.

We recruited him to coach at a place that is notoriously hard to win (academic standards, shrinking athletic budget, etc.), so I can hold that against him.
Solid D

Not quite the same. Our level of competition is much lower than at Cal's. His connection to high schools, recruits, and coaches is also muuuuch higher here than in the Bay Area.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby sail420s » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:47 pm

I hope I'm wrong, a C at best. My hope was to somehow retain Traylor as OC/HCIW and get a defensive coach. With Dykes, retaining Traylor to keep the offense going isn't as big of an issue as Dykes is a good offensive guy. Our biggest problem by far is our terrible defense. Dykes has never shown an ability to recruit a defense. Not only getting players, but in getting coaches. Both of his DC's at Cal were the worst in FBS in a major defensive stat every year. Read wikipedia on his years at Cal. This hire is the exact opposite of what we need. If his dad wasn't Spike Dykes, would he have ever been considered? Most of the hype he has had was more to do with name recognition than results, IMO.
sail420s
Varsity

Postby leopold » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:49 pm

It's a B hire. Find a recruiter and a d coordinator and we may have something.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:50 pm

Let's see what recruits he can scare up as he is so well connected and has been in neighborhood for the last year. He was a head coach waiting for a call over there in toad land. If he didn't, 6 months ago, have a list of recruits and assistants written on the back of a napkin he is a bust. Will know real soon. I'll be willing to raise his grade from a D if he was doing his assignments.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby Comet » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:53 pm

HubbaHubba wrote:Let's see what recruits he can scare up as he is so well connected and has been in neighborhood for the last year. He was a head coach waiting for a call over there in toad land. If he didn't, 6 months ago, have a list of recruits and assistants written on the back of a napkin he is a bust. Will know real soon. I'll be willing to raise his grade from a D if he was doing his assignments.

I wonder if he knew he was a quick call away from taking this job even a year ago. My suspicions are that Hart had talked to him to send feelers out when Chad was talking to Baylor. The fact that insiders have said that Dykes was our guy for a while makes me believe that he was aware that this could come. I'd hope he has been doing his homework. He has ambitions and he's got to understand that the ONLY way he will get up to where he wants is by making this a successful stint, otherwise its over for him.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football