PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Grade the Hiring of Sonny Dykes

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What Grade Would You Give to the Hiring of Sonny Dykes

A
17%
B
55%
C
20%
D
6%
F
3%

Total votes : 109

Re: Grade the Hiring of Sonny Dykes

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:03 am

Fair point. It is early. It's just not a good sign when players say they will be thinking hard about their future. While I know Stallion mentioned they can't be offered yet, I can only imagine they heard from the departed coaches in an informal fashion that they could have a spot in Arkansas. While we are worried about recruits, we could still worry about current players leaving for there. They would be taking a gamble as they have to sit out a year and hope those coaches honor their promises. Sadly, these players really trust those coaches.

Hopefully Dykes can put together a good staff but I'm definitely on the pessimistic side on that one.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mestengo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:09 am

Well all this should keep you people busy for awhile lol
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:15 am

With few exceptions, players on our roster should think long and hard about buying the snake oil that would cause them to have to sit a year at Arkansas and hoping to play for Morris there. More than likely, they will be recruited over and never see the field. Quinn is one obvious exception and I would not be at all surprised to see him leave. If that does happen, look for Proche to have a huge year in 2018. In McLaurin's case, tough to think about forfeiting another year of eligibility. He's a guy we had hoped would step up and contribute by now, yet he barely saw the field this year. Might be considering quitting or going FCS route? Anyone know more?? Going to be an interesting off season and spring.
Last edited by Charleston Pony on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:17 am

I do not think that many could consider Arkansas, or most other P5 schools as an alternative.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:19 am

Definitely not on the defense... we all know that. I think a rare few there and good amount on the offense are at-risk. I'm sure Dykes is giving the speech with them today or tomorrow. If we lose a good few, this thing will come tumbling down because his recruiting in the G5 is not good.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Nacho » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:22 am

the last time we had to worry about a head coach poaching players was 73 when hayed fry went to north texas. not sure that was a big worry then. so this is new ground for most of us.
Nacho

Postby birddogger » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:25 am

I didn't see "I" as an option, so I give it a "B".

This could be a good hire, for several reasons:

1. He' has incentives to win. If he does, then onward and upward to another P-5 gig. If not, he's relegate to lower football purgatory. Greed and fear are effective motivators.

2. No reason to believe he can't recruit. He's mentored at least 2 NFL QBs and has run an exciting offense. He's a Texan has had past success in this area.

3. He's coming from Berkeley. No one in their right mind (especially a Texan) would fit in there. I'm impressed he was able to succeed even moderately, given the culture. SMU may be odd, but it's not Cal-Berkeley. And perhaps he learned another trick or two during his time in Ft. Worth while detoxing from the Cali culture.

Like everyone else, I am anxious about his defensive hires. If he lands a decent DC and staff, we could have the makings of a solid program here. If not, then what has changed? We'll suffer along as we have for the past few years hoping to keep it close and score last.
birddogger
All-American

Postby Stallion » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:27 am

This Poll allows you the ability to change your grade-which I will consider once I see his Coaching Staff (and whether we will go to Blue Uniforms which would be an automatic bump :shock: )
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mustangxc » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:30 am

Stallion wrote:This Poll allows you the ability to change your grade-which I will consider once I see his Coaching Staff (and whether we will go to Blue Uniforms which would be an automatic bump :shock: )

Without knowing anything else, what do you grade it now?
mustangxc

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:31 am

I predict this could be the best hire since the DP.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mustangxc » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:33 am

Anything can happen. That is not a prediction.
mustangxc

Postby Mustangsabu » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:36 am

I’m told that Dykes had a stellar interview. I don’t trust Hart but I trust the committee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mestengo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:02 pm

mustangxc wrote:
Stallion wrote:This Poll allows you the ability to change your grade-which I will consider once I see his Coaching Staff (and whether we will go to Blue Uniforms which would be an automatic bump :shock: )

Without knowing anything else, what do you grade it now?

Never trust a man that won't grade his own poll :D
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby stc9 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:04 pm

SMU has a bleak track record of making good decisions/Hires. So replacing a known, personable, hard working, and starting to successful HC throws us all into a tizzy.

What I would like to see at today's press conference is something similar to Chad. He has his staff en route to campus and are going to be out hitting the road first thing in the morning or have already been working the phones. Chad made a great first impression with this already at work approach.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby Mustangsabu » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:07 pm

stc9 wrote:SMU has a bleak track record of making good decisions/Hires. So replacing a known, personable, hard working, and starting to successful HC throws us all into a tizzy.

What I would like to see at today's press conference is something similar to Chad. He has his staff en route to campus and are going to be out hitting the road first thing in the morning or have already been working the phones. Chad made a great first impression with this already at work approach.

Unfortunately Chad was already at work on getting his next job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football