PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Potential DC's

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Potential DC's

Postby mrydel » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:07 pm

skyscraper wrote:In the presser, it sounds like Van is gone after the bowl. Said they're searching for best DC possible.

Of course most assistants are on 1 year deals so Van could be one being interviewed.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sail420s » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:31 pm

mrydel wrote:Of course most assistants are on 1 year deals so Van could be one being interviewed.

Out of respect for the prior staff (if they earned it or not) I would expect that any leftovers get interviewed. Even if you know you have no intent of hiring them or already have someone else lined up.
sail420s
Varsity

Postby footballdad » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:38 pm

PoconoPony wrote:No DC will be able to immediately over come our lack of size, speed, strength and talent on the D side. Unfortunately, this will all take time, luck and some great recruiting. Our only hope for next season is that the O remains potent and can win some games despite the D being over matched.

More proof positive that Morris recruiting was being overrated by you know who. 3 years with little to no improvement, and a largely bare cupboard, on the defensive side of the ball.

Morris was slick, gotta give him credit.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby dr rc » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:16 pm

footballdad wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:No DC will be able to immediately over come our lack of size, speed, strength and talent on the D side. Unfortunately, this will all take time, luck and some great recruiting. Our only hope for next season is that the O remains potent and can win some games despite the D being over matched.

More proof positive that Morris recruiting was being overrated by you know who. 3 years with little to no improvement, and a largely bare cupboard, on the defensive side of the ball.

Ehh... I think that's more of an indictment of Texas HS football than it is of CM's defensive recruitment. Defense in Texas HS football straight sucks. Almost all the best players are moved to offense. We can produce the occasional skill players but for the most part there isn't a single school that uses Texas as it's main recruiting base with a consistently good defense. TCU tends to be the best in most years and even they really aren't all that great.
dr rc
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:57 pm

Most of the best athletes want to play on the offensive side of the ball. Have to convince guys that they have their best chance to excel on defense. Patterson has done a good job of converting guys from O to D
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:10 pm

5 of 10 Worst Defenses in College Football Were in the AAC:

120. Memphis 476.3
121. SMU 486.7
126. UCONN 519.0
127. Tulsa 528.9
129. ECU 541.7
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby feelan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:14 pm

footballdad wrote:

Seemed to me that Morris recruited more heavily on the offensive side, which makes sense for an offensive guy so not sure it is an indictment of his recruiting as a whole. I just wish he had brought in a few more on the defensive side.
feelan
Junior Varsity

Postby redpony » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:15 pm

actually I had us at #122
passing yds allowed - #121
rushing yds allowed - #122
ko return D - #104

those numbers were taken from the NCAA official stat site.
redpony

Postby Stallion » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:18 pm

this is the official NCAA website-we're at 121 Total Defense. Louisiana got beat by Auburn last weekend-maybe they moved behind us

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/ ... team/22/p3
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ponywhupp9202 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:45 pm

I just read that Phil Bennett is leaving ASU after their bowl game,.......for what it's worth.
ponywhupp9202
Varsity

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:04 pm

ponywhupp9202 wrote:I just read that Phil Bennett is leaving ASU after their bowl game,.......for what it's worth.

:roll:
Bergermeister

Postby SMUer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:08 pm

feelan wrote:
footballdad wrote:

Seemed to me that Morris recruited more heavily on the offensive side, which makes sense for an offensive guy so not sure it is an indictment of his recruiting as a whole. I just wish he had brought in a few more on the defensive side.

Then he was stupid or foolish at best
SMUer

Postby leopold » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:28 pm

Oh yeah. This guy is available, too:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... r-sun-bowl
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:57 pm

feelan wrote:
footballdad wrote:

I think we have some decent talent at DL, S, and CB. None of our LBs have panned out, Badejo is a tweener, Michael Scott left, and the scheme really sucked. It was completely dependent on the Star player, which we were never able to recruit successfully. Not finding a way to get McQueen a ton of PT last year was criminal as well.
JasonB

Postby leopold » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:17 pm

Is the lack of ability at LB potentially solved by a simple change of scheme?

Dykes has said himself that he is willing to adjust his schemes to fit his personnel and he just came from TCU. If we hire a 4-2-5 guy and our transfer from A&M pans out then it seems to me that all he has to do is find one more playmaker. Is that a possible solution?
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football