PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sonny D Announcement Official Thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sonny D Announcement Official Thread

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:29 am

:roll:
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby dr rc » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:22 am

leopold wrote:
tristatecoog wrote:Rumor apparently is that the head-schmuck himself, Phil Bennett, is in the running for A&M's open position. I hope they are smart enough to avoid that dumpster fire:

https://www.seccountry.com/texas-am/rep ... sher-texas

He might be able to catch on as an analyst but there is little chance he could be the DC. If he was getting the job he'd already be hired. A&M is probably stealing a DC from a team in one of the late December/January 1 bowls. Rumored names are Bud Foster (Virginia Tech), Mike Elko (Notre Dame), Don Brown (Michigan), Travaris Robinson (South Carolina), and Alex Grinch (Washington State).
Last edited by dr rc on Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
dr rc
Varsity

Postby dr rc » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:33 am

78pony wrote:
HireSabin78 wrote:What's so great about an IPF? It's a myth recruits care about that. Just like it's a myth students choose SMU over other comparable school because they have a state of the art recreational center. Talk about a waste of money. It amazes me that SMU's MBA program has a good reputation with such decisions.

Logically I tend to agree. Just how much difference does something you use what, 3,5, 6 times a year really make? We really don't have a lot of bad weather here. Make a Hollywood set somewhere and walk em' through it.

There are 60 -70 high schools in DFW alone that have IPFs. You are woefully mistaken if you think recruits don't care about having one.
dr rc
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:50 pm

Bump...just for grins. I don't see that anyone was jumping for joy when Sonny was hired but a few were definitely melting down. Only Mustangsabu said he thought we hired a great coach and that was probably just in response to 11's bashing the hire.

I think most of us were quiet because we've just grown weary of SMU's trying to find the right guy and then keep him, but those who attended or watched Sonny's intro video came away impressed by how sincere and down to earth he was by comparison with Chad. Yes, it's too early to judge but anyone who is not impressed with what this team has accomplished in just year two has just stuck his/her head in the sand.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstang07 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:59 pm

11 managed to bash the Sonny hire and say the only this worse would be losing Jank in the same thread!!!!
SMUstang07
Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:04 pm

Yes - I apologize to Sonny on Twitter. I was going to apologize if we got and blast NTCC in Denton to right that wrong but getting ranked expedited.

On paper though, I will say and comparatively to other candidates, I felt like we were making a big mistake. Thankfully I was wrong but thanks 07.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang07 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:39 am

I don’t think anyone saw this coming except maybe Sonny himself. Props to RH
SMUstang07
Varsity

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:24 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Bump...just for grins. I don't see that anyone was jumping for joy when Sonny was hired but a few were definitely melting down. Only Mustangsabu said he thought we hired a great coach and that was probably just in response to 11's bashing the hire.

I think most of us were quiet because we've just grown weary of SMU's trying to find the right guy and then keep him, but those who attended or watched Sonny's intro video came away impressed by how sincere and down to earth he was by comparison with Chad. Yes, it's too early to judge but anyone who is not impressed with what this team has accomplished in just year two has just stuck his/her head in the sand.

No I just knew. Arguing with 11 was just a bonus. (Kidding)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:29 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Bump...just for grins. I don't see that anyone was jumping for joy when Sonny was hired but a few were definitely melting down. Only Mustangsabu said he thought we hired a great coach and that was probably just in response to 11's bashing the hire.

I was ok with Sonny. He was my third choice behind Kevin Sumlin and Todd Graham. I felt his success at Louisiana Tech was proof of what he could do at SMU. At the same time, I was hopeful that since Sumlin and Graham had been active in FBS at the time that they could jumpstart recruiting faster. In retrospect, I think SD has done much more for recruiting than Sumlin and Graham would have. Additionally, I really like SD and am not a fan of Sumlin or Graham. Nevertheless, it doesn't really matter whether we like the coach as much as whether he is able to win. SD is both a winner and a good guy so it has been a home run!
mustangxc

Postby TidePony » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:38 pm

This ^^^
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:53 pm

I completely agree. I would say the best hire is really Kane. The fact he took the worst defense and turned it respectable in one year was amazing. He took it to the next level this year. Lashlee is much better this year but last year's offensive calls were hair pulling. However, I might give him the benefit of the doubt, because he had to deal with #PickSixHicks.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:12 pm

With the new transfer portal and our success, how much credit should the compliance office get for this? I can't imagine how much paperwork and time goes into getting these players eligible.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PNW_Stang » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:35 pm

Terry Webster wrote:With the new transfer portal and our success, how much credit should the compliance office get for this? I can't imagine how much paperwork and time goes into getting these players eligible.

Pretty sure I’ve heard Sonny say SMU has the best compliance office of anywhere he has been. From compliance, to strength coaches, to whoever is putting our media together (especially the hype videos), to advertising, to coordinators, to head coach - SMU May have the best G5 staff
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:53 pm

I was silent on the Sonny hire because I really had no clue what to expect. I did immediately like the way he addressed the media and reacted as others in thinking this guy is genuine and he sounds like he really wants to be here. I was impressed with how well connected he was/is in the college football coaching community (comes from experience) and with the staff he was able to put together. I've been even more impressed with how well he and everyone associated with the program today have done marketing SMU football. The "Dallas" campaign and the transfer portal have been a great combination and Sonny has acknowledged he's in the right place at the right time, but obviously a lot of people have put in a lot of work to get this program to the place it is today.

We will see what the future holds but I'm more optimistic about SMU football than I have been since our pre-death penalty days. As too many have said, it's easier to build a successful program than it is to sustain it. Sonny is young enough that I would love to see him become the winningest football coach in SMU's history.
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Football